Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-21-2007, 06:05 PM   #1
brigadoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
is my mucous plug coming out? *edited to add a new question*

this may be tmi for some, but i really have no clue (that whole, never had a baby, never been around many pregnant women growing up, etc, etc...) what's going on.

i've been feeling kind of weird and achey all day, more so than usual. i've been having false labor (as determined by me) since saturday-ish, and today i have felt some really strange, borderline painful twinges down there in addition to the contractions. but today, just a few minutes ago, when i went to the bathroom, i looked down and noticed that the discharge was *different* ...globular... kind of looked like snot. and it came out in globs on the toilet paper. not a lot, just a bit here and there, but enough to raise my eyebrows.

is this what i think it is?? please help

my due date isn't until 26/30 december, so... hm.

*EDIT*

i figured instead of starting a new thread, i'd just add on to this one since it's along the same subject.

SO. since i posted this question, i took an ever-so-graceful spill on the concrete at work, thus winding up in Labor and Delivery so they could make sure my placenta wasn't detaching from the fall.

they decided that since i was having regular contractions (that i've been having almost every day since the 17th) that they needed to do a cervical check on me, and then another in 2 hours to see if i was going into active labor (which... i don't really get because they weren't going to stop it if it WAS active labor... so why check and inevitably speed up the process? ).

so as of friday night, i am 1 (loose) cm dilated, 60% effaced, minus 3 station (and the midwife said that was weird for me being a first time mom to look like that so soon...)

well, because of the checks, i DEFINITELY started losing my mucous plug (EXACTLY how you mamas described, so i had no question, thanks!), and have been losing pieces of it every day since then.

SO! for my next question.... how do you know when you've lost it all? because more came out today but it wasn't the brownish bloody like it had been the last 3 days... this time it was the cloudy clear like in my initial post, with a pinky tinge.

have i mentioned you guys are awesome for reading this and helping me out? cuz you are

Advertisement

Last edited by brigadoon; 11-27-2007 at 11:31 PM.
brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:12 PM   #2
mengmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: hey so... since i've never had a baby... is my mucous plug coming out?

Those painful twinges sound like cervical dilation to me...and if it *were* me, I'd be washing my hands and going exploring to check things out. It sounds like your mucous plug...which can come out in little pieces weeks before labor and regenerate...if there is a pink or red or brown hue to it, then it might be getting close to labor time, but if its uncolored, it could *not* be time too... Clear as mud right?
Old 11-21-2007, 06:13 PM   #3
kalebnlillismomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Is it bloody? It have be. I never lost my plug, but I had both my LO at 35 weeks. The first time around it was so light pink I barely noticed. With your contractions, I would go get checked
Old 11-21-2007, 07:07 PM   #4
brigadoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

it's cloudy, but i didn't notice any pinky or brownish tint to it... how would i check my cervix? i've never been to privvy with that sort of thing... how do i know what it is
Old 11-21-2007, 07:07 PM   #5
Car's Mama
Registered Users
seller

Each of the two times I've lost my plug it was like rubber cement and definately had old brown blood in it. It came out a little at a time and sometimes there was A LOT more than others. I suppose it's possible for your plug to not have any blood but I don't think it's the norm
Old 11-21-2007, 07:39 PM   #6
slockwood
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It could just be discharge. Near the end you can have discharge that looks just like your mucous plug minus the blood tinge. If there is no blood there is a good chance it isn't your mucous plug. But it could be too. Nothing you can do either way but wait. When labor starts you will know!

I am due the same time and I have been losing the "snot" for a few weeks now. I am a nurse so I figured it wasn't my mucous plug since there was no blood tinge.

Rarely you can START to lose your plug without blood tinge. But rarely. More than likely it isn't your plug. Just wait it out!

Last edited by slockwood; 11-21-2007 at 07:40 PM.
slockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:49 PM   #7
brigadoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ok well then i guess i don't have much to worry about as far as my plug... how would i check my cervix? i'm not sure what to look for, lol...

i guess it's a good thing it's not my mucous plug, cuz Lord knows i haven't been able to get ahold of my midwife when i need her since about 20 weeks but all the books are telling me to call immediately b/c i'm having those lovely symptoms of 4+ contractions in an hour (try 30 minutes!), menstrual type cramping, lower back pain, the significant change in discharge (like night and day in a 12 hour period), pelvic pressure...

but my emotional signpost hasn't changed any. i think my body's just freaking out.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:02 PM   #8
crunchymomof3
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2boys0608
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigadoon View Post
ok well then i guess i don't have much to worry about as far as my plug... how would i check my cervix? i'm not sure what to look for, lol...

i guess it's a good thing it's not my mucous plug, cuz Lord knows i haven't been able to get ahold of my midwife when i need her since about 20 weeks but all the books are telling me to call immediately b/c i'm having those lovely symptoms of 4+ contractions in an hour (try 30 minutes!), menstrual type cramping, lower back pain, the significant change in discharge (like night and day in a 12 hour period), pelvic pressure...

but my emotional signpost hasn't changed any. i think my body's just freaking out.

are you delivering in a hospital or bc ? can you call the l/d and see if they want you to come and be checked out ? if not i would page the m/w or go to the ER if you are concerned better to be safe how many weeks are you ?
crunchymomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:24 PM   #9
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

How crappy about the MW! I would definitely be calling her. She needs to be answering your questions! Take it easy until you do get ahold of her. Stay hydrated and keep your feet up.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:32 AM   #10
mengmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Here is a website that details it...I'm not so great at explaining.
http://www.birthresourcecenter.org/cervicalcheck.html