Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 11-21-2007, 03:32 PM   #1
Registered Users
6-month old throwing fits?

My newly-turned 6 month old ds has recently begun throwing little "tantrums". He arches his back, slams his fist on the bed (while I'm changing his clothes), kicks, fusses, and it almost seems as if he's holding his breath. He has never acted this way before, and I know he's way too young to throw tantrums--isn't he? I can't discipline him in any way, right? hmmm....Could it just be a growth spurt?

*28 year old mama to Josiah Liam, born 05.19.2007, Jonas Elliot, my dove in heaven, stillborn at 40 weeks 03.12.2009* , and my rainbow baby Julien Reese 11.04.2010 *Married to Zac 06.11.2005*
idigchaitea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:38 PM   #2
Registered Users
Formerly: Maddie'sMom
My Mood:
Re: 6-month old throwing fits?

No, a 6 month old cannot throw a tantrum. He is not mentally capable of having an actual tantrum.

And no, you cannot "discipline" him either.

A few it only when you are changing his clothes? If so, could you find somewhere else to do it? Is he newly mobile? Crawling or scooting yet? Is he sitting up unassisted now?

IF so, it could be that he wants to be doing something other than lying down. As soon as Maddie started sitting on her own, she would freak out when I would lie her down.

Maddie&Jake'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 12:00 AM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

I don't know that they can't throw tantrums. It sure seems like mine does that when we change him and has for many months. He hates being on his back! It is a little easier now that he can sit up better so I can change the top part with him sitting up. Good luck, Mama! Try singing to him, handing him a toy, giving him a pacifier when he is being changed.. These are the things we've tried that have all had some level of success.

Mommy to Nicholas Ryan
Born 02-22-07
AngelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 03:31 AM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

I'm with ya, Skye sure seems like she is throwing tantrums...when she drops a toy or has to get in the car seat or I take a teething bisquit away from her she arches, kicks and cries and hollars like there is no tomorrow, she even hits me and pinches me while in this rage of hers. She is otherwise a very mellow happy go lucky baby. Rarely cries.

About dicipline, I read they are not even able to understand the word no until at least 7 months so there really isn't much you can do besides try and calm them or change the scene.
Wife to Neil Married 7/2/06 Mama to Taiven age 11, Skye 2 Sawyer Riley 5/28/08

Last edited by TaivensMama; 11-22-2007 at 03:32 AM.
TaivensMama is offline   Reply With Quote