Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-22-2007, 01:26 PM   #1
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

Did my water break? Nope.

ETA: Nope

Please help me figure this out.

I went potty and sat down in just my robe on the lazy boy (leather- thank goodness). A couple minutes later I felt wet. I looked down and sure enough it looked like I was peeing. Weird. I smelled the fluid which was clear. It didn't really smell like anything. So I went and put a pad on. Instead of laying down like I heard you are suppossed to, I stayed on my feet and got the bread dough started for rolls. About 1/2 hour later, I checked the pad and it is dry. I went back and smelled the robe again... still smells like nothing... maybe a bit like bleach (but that might be my imagination).

I am feeling really irritated. Like pissed. I was going to have the kids help me with the rolls, but I put cartoons on for them instead because I am feeling really short tempered.

With my first 2, my water didn't break before labor was well on its way and pretty intense. So I dunno. Any thoughts/ ideas will be really appreciated.

BTW- I have been having contrax, put nothing regular or intense.

Advertisement

Last edited by Prettylocks; 11-24-2007 at 08:43 AM.
Prettylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 01:33 PM   #2
Bunny
Be strong little marshmallow.
Formerly: s**e**h
seller

Re: Did my water break?

I don't know. When my water broke there was no mistaking it. It felt like gallons, and I had literally JUST walked out of the bathroom. But I know that has to do with where the sac breaks.

How close are you to your due date?

ETA~ It is possible that if your sac broke very far down (close to your cervix) that Baby's head was suctioned down to block any more fluid from leaving your body.

Last edited by Bunny; 11-22-2007 at 01:53 PM.
Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 01:38 PM   #3
BearBumsBoutique
Registered Users
Formerly: johnson_mommy
seller

My Mood:

I doubt it. If your water broke, you would know it! It continues to replenish itself, so you'd be soaking your pads. It was probably either a bladder or discharge thing. If you are really concerned, or it continues to be wet, go to the hospital b/c once it's broken, you'll have to deliver w/in 24hrs.
BearBumsBoutique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 01:45 PM   #4
kelllilee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

a similar thing happened to me. I still think my water broke, though it wasn't confirmed by my midwife. There is a test they can do to test the fluid and see if it's amniotic (mine did an exam before thinking of doing the test and then it was too late cause of the gel used for the exam).

I had the same sensation, and then randomly when I'd stand up or move I'd get a tiny little "gush". Not enough to soak a pad, but enough to be noticeable and it was happening off and on for 2 days before I went into labor. My honest belief is that my sac tore up high or to the side and when I'd move a bit her head would shift and let out some of the fluid.

When I was examined she said she could still feel the membrane, so that's why I think it tore up high or to the side. It never "broke" during labor, but was obviously not there when she was born.

ETA... you aren't at risk for infection after your water breaks until you start getting pelvic exams. Once anything is put up there, your risk goes up and at THAT point, it's best to deliver within 24 hours. If you don't get an exam or put anything up there, you can safely go several days.

Last edited by kelllilee; 11-22-2007 at 01:46 PM.
kelllilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 01:48 PM   #5
I Smile Because Of Them
Registered Users
seller

Location: I'm only passing through here as my real home is in Heaven!
My Mood:

I disagree with the PP. People don't always know when their water breaks. With DD I didn't know until I was at my weekly appointment. That's when the doctor told me that it had been broken. I would suggest laying down for a while and see what happens when you get up. Amniotic fluid smells kind of like bleach or ammonia so it might have broken.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:51 PM   #6
ferrferr
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Lay down and laugh.

My water broke with DD#2 while my midwife was doing an interal check (I was already in the hospital) and of course I started laughing because well .. it was that or cry and tell her how sorry I was. So laugh I did... bad idea it gushed out EVERYWHERE. Poor Heather was telling the nurse "more towels, more towels!". With DD#1 was sitting up in the hospital bed when it broke and water went rolling down my crossed legs. I told the nurse my water broke and she says "are you sure". Uh, yeah I'm pretty positive I didn't just piss myself.
ferrferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 02:05 PM   #7
BearBumsBoutique
Registered Users
Formerly: johnson_mommy
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gegesmommy View Post
I disagree with the PP. People don't always know when their water breaks. With DD I didn't know until I was at my weekly appointment. That's when the doctor told me that it had been broken. I would suggest laying down for a while and see what happens when you get up. Amniotic fluid smells kind of like bleach or ammonia so it might have broken.
Ok, well I guess maybe mine was just one of those 'textbook' breaks... sorry! Mine gushed everywhere & just kept coming!
I was told though that once it breaks they want to deliver b/c the nourishment for the baby isn't there (it is constantly replenishing, but also constantly leaking). Infection is a concern, but yes, only if you introduce something in there.
BearBumsBoutique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 02:31 PM   #8
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the quick responses!
I think either I peed myself or it was an up high sac tear and the baby's head is plugging it up now. He is definitely very low, so that is a possiblity.
I am not going to worry about it for now. We are having the baby at home, so I'll just go about my normal thing and see if things start going or not.
Good to know about the risk of infection thing... I'll keep things out of my chacha for now.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:46 PM   #9
Alexia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mine "broke" twice with my first son (homebirth too!) The first was exactly like what you said. Then later it REALLY gushed out. I'm guessing baby plugged it all up
The Mommy Rambles...
Alexia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 03:57 PM   #10
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexia View Post
Mine "broke" twice with my first son (homebirth too!) The first was exactly like what you said. Then later it REALLY gushed out. I'm guessing baby plugged it all up
Cool! I would love to have this baby sooner than later.

sharlaelizabeth- I am due in a week 11/29, so it would be fine to have the baby... I just don't like knowing wth is going on