Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-25-2007, 01:46 PM   #11
ommelissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: top ways to help after baby is born

My midwife will sometimes print a to-do list of daily chores to put on the fridge. When someone visits and asks to help, they can pick something from the list and do it. Then they can cross it off the list.
I personally found meals to be most helpful!

Advertisement

ommelissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 05:42 PM   #12
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would say meals were the best! My husband was home the first week with us and we had enough visitors bringing meals that we made it through that week without us having to actually cook anything. Past the first week though, I'd say freezer meals have been a godsend! I luckily thought to make 22 meals to stash in the freezer while I was pregnant, and now 8.5 weeks out, we still have probably half of those in there! So, maybe suggest people even bring a meal that can be frozen and pulled out during week #2 or3 or 4 etc...when the other "help" has dwindled down.

Do you Swag? I do! Click here to join swagbucks! Earn points. Get free stuff!
amcess721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 05:54 PM   #13
mommy2abigail
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

When dd was born, my friend had a line up of people willing to bring meals over for the first 2 weeks. While I really really appreciated the kindness, what I really wanted was some much needed rest and time alone with my dd. Everyday, we had a different person (besides all the family that was visiting) over to drop a meal off, which ended up becoming a couple hour visit. This time around, I just want some TIME. A few weeks to relax. Something you could do is have people bring meals over in advance, ready to freeze/pop in the oven. And my favorite favorite favorite gift of all was my mom's. While we went to the hospital (emergency transfer, ended up there for 5 days/nights ) she hired a cleaning lady to scour and scrub our house top to bottom. I had done alot before dd came, but wow! was it nice to come home to that! Maybe a gift certificate for a cleaning company? Everyone could chip in and maybe get a few 'sessions'. Around here, for an average sized house, it costs $80-$100. So if you had 10 people give $20, you could get the house cleaners to come 2x. THAT was a HUGE help in those first few weeks. HTH
mommy2abigail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 05:54 PM   #14
Sweetpotatoesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My favorite besides food was a subsciption to blockbuster or netflix b/c I spent alot of late nights nursing when nothing was on tv. also, I could let my older son watch sometimes when I really needed him to be quiet.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:58 PM   #15
foggybear
Registered Users

I never needed it, but I had a friend who designated a contact person. The friend called the contact person after birth and let her call the rest of her friends. The contact person also collected meals and brought them to my friend, so only one person was coming each day.
foggybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 07:10 PM   #16
bean3
Registered Users
seller

I had a lot of help from DH, and what I found I was constantly sending him to do was the errands. Shopping, post office, DMV, video store...anything. I would call and ask if you could do her errands at the same time as yours. That was awesome!
bean3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:05 AM   #17
ceilismom
Registered Users
seller

I had my Dad, SM and younger brother visiting when DD was born. I actually loved it (our house was big enough that we weren't tripping over each other), though I'm sure most people wouldn't. SM was wonderful help, and with all those extra people around, I could hand the baby off when I needed a shower, or a quick nap, or whatever. The biggest help I got was the first night home though. It was Thanksgiving night, and my sister stayed up most of the night with me. She was company while I was nursing DD, and she even held her for 1-2 hours while I got a little uninterrupted sleep. I know it must have been rough on her, but it was wonderful to get that little bit of sleep.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:20 AM   #18
jenncatsmeow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do the "extra" things around the house, so that momma and daddy can bond with the baby.
--laundry
--cleaning
--grocery shopping
--cooking

Those things are the REAL help, since it's hard to do it all at first, and you really want to be with baby.
5% off at My HyenaCart with code: DS Momma
jenncatsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:36 AM   #19
Kestlyn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't have family around and we move a lot, so the best gift I received was 6 weeks of cleaning from a local company. Great ideas above!
Old 11-26-2007, 08:14 AM   #20
Suzanne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Another vote for FOOD! Plus, a gentle reminder that guest visits need to be kept short so mama can nap
Suzanne is offline   Reply With Quote