Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-25-2007, 06:20 AM   #1
deden
Registered Users

Burning question about FITTEDs....

Hey there ladies! I've been lurking around the FSOT boards for a bit now, but thought it was time to come out of hiding and ask this question since it's been driving me nuts for awhile!

There's probably an easy explanation here, but I haven't come up with it myself. So...Fitted diapers are used with a cover, right? So why in the world do I see all these fitted diapers with fancy designs and fabrics if they're just going to get covered up anyway? The thing I find strange is that it is way harder to find actual covers that have a pretty design!

Am I missing something here?

Thanks!

Advertisement

deden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:24 AM   #2
mum2James&Julia
Registered Users
Formerly: mum2James&Bean
seller

My Mood:
Re: Burning question about FITTEDs....

My kids wear their fitteds without a cover often, usually around the house but sometimes out of the house. Most of our fitteds, my dd can pee twice without it feeling damp on the outside. My ds usually feels damp right away, but he's a super heavy wetter with really good control - we're working on potty training so he doesn't go in a diaper often any more.

It's not a weird question though, I wondered the same thing before I got into fitteds!
Old 11-25-2007, 06:32 AM   #3
My2punkins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My kids wear fitteds under wool or fleece longies. I like that they're cute when I put them on and can see the prints- to me its like having cute underwear
Old 11-25-2007, 06:40 AM   #4
rebeccah5
Behold: The Official Thread-Killer
seller

My Mood:

I used to not get it, either.

Most of the time around the house, especially during the summer, we go coverless. I just add an extra doubler and when DS wets, the outside of the diaper may get damp, but not soaked. It's easy for changes, it airs out his tush, and I get to enjoy the print.

You know, I love buying cute print undies for myself. Most days I am the only one to see them. I just like them because I think they're cute.

and when they get older, DC likes to see the cute prints, too. Just like when you are PLing and you motivate your child with cool cartoon print underwear. My DS is 18 mos, and for probably the last 4-5 months he has enjoyed looking at his cute print diapers before putting them on. He loves them, too!

I do agree, though, that if you're using a PUL cover, there aren't many cute options to choose from, mainly because for some reason, most print PUL wicks something terrible (100% polyester PUL isn't supposed to be too bad, but...) However, if you're putting it under wool or fleece pants, that's just the same as putting a cute pocket under jeans, isn't it?
Check out my knitting projects here and my stash here
rebeccah5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:49 AM   #5
mum2James&Julia
Registered Users
Formerly: mum2James&Bean
seller

My Mood:

Oh, and what the pp said is TOTALLY true. I used to have the absolute WORST time getting him changed. He hated stopping playing for anything. He started allowing me to cloth diaper him because of how soft the diapers were (he's a sucker for soft things like his mommy ) and now, diaper changes are easy because he gets to pick his favorite prints.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:03 AM   #6
deden
Registered Users

Thanks for the clarification!
deden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 08:05 AM   #7
mandalynnne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've been asked this question a lot --- especially by people that I'm showing my diapers to. My answer is "Do you have cute underwear?". I'm not trying to be snarky, but it makes people think. No one sees my undies, but it's still fun. I don't do a lot of prints, but 99% of my diapers are dyed bamboo.

WAHM behind TMD

ISO nothing! My girl is mostly pl'ed!
mandalynnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 08:10 AM   #8
onelil2lil3lilpiglets
Banned
seller

My Mood:

yes to what everyone posted before i have a toddler and a crawler, and i usually use the fitteds around the house w/out any cover...i only use a cover at nap times and at night so i get to see the cute colors and designs anyway
onelil2lil3lilpiglets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:15 AM   #9
kidpsych2be
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Haha....I was asking the SAME question about 2 months ago. I'm relatively new to fitteds and I didn't get it either! "You mean I have to spend $25 on something I'm going to COVER UP!?"

Well....like pp said, we go coverless more often than not. I guess fitteds isn't very practical for the full time work-outside-the-home mommy and daycare situations. But when you're relaxing at home, it's no biggie. Gianna goes coverless 98% of the time @ home and we change her when she's damp. She never pees through it, just dampens it.

We do the same with pf. It's just better for their skin. The less PUL the better, imo.

HTH.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:01 AM   #10
vickieboggs
Registered
seller

My Mood:

I still think that way......I don't like fitteds for that reason....I'd rather have the cute fabric be on the cover!!!!

Lots of WOOLIES for sale, knit, crochet, shorties and longies
vickieboggs is offline   Reply With Quote