Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-25-2007, 10:27 PM   #1
myall4him2
Loving Touch Wet Bags
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
My son has stomach problems...help..

I exclusively bf my son, I have since the day he's been born. He's always been colicy, but lately I've been so frusterated with it. It's tearing me apart the fact that the milk I'm producing and feeding him is causing him so much pain and discomfort.

He only poops once a day, the rest of the day he just passes a lot of gas- with straining.

I thought it might be a milk allergy (the milk I eat affecting him) so I quit eating and drinking anything with milk (do you have any idea how HARD that is?! EVERYTHING has milk!). That helped quite a bit, lately I've been slacking a little (using cream of mushroom soup, instant oatmeal that has the whey milk, etc.), maybe I need to get more disciplined again. Then, there's a whole new question, what can I eat that doesn't have milk? What are some good breakfast ideas? Dinner meals? Etc.

Are there any other allergies I should consider that are in my diet?

We have tried Gripe Water (which worked wonders when dd was little), but after 10 minutes he's fussing again. Trying gas drops, same thing as the gripe water. Tried sugar water, plain water. Nothing works.

Help please...

Advertisement

myall4him2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:34 PM   #2
saongiri
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: My son has stomach problems...help..

I would not assume your milk is the issue-my ds had gas issues but it was mostly because of my oversupply issues-I have a strong letdown and when he nursed he would gulp and swallow a ton of air- on the other hand my niece is formula fed and has been dealing with gas issues-they constantly adjusting formulas---for dairy free ideas-google vegan meals and you can find loads of ideas-if you eat meat just add it to the recipes---
Old 11-25-2007, 10:59 PM   #3
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I am sorry Mama I am right there in the frustrated group with you.

How old is your ds?? Did he have any other signs but fussiness?? Are his poops normal when he does poop??

If milk is the culprit it could very well be the little things you are eating bothering him. I was dairy free for over a year with my ds1 and it's hard, but you do get use to it. I used rice milk for cooking a lot. Breakfast is hard, but I love instant oatmeal (none of the cream of whatever kind) I buy apple cinn. and use vanilla rice milk with it and it tastes really yummy!! There are a couple butters out there without milk so you could have toast and of course fruit. Just incase you crave sweets...oreos have no milk in them.

I was thinking of starting a support thread for food intolerance Mamas tonight actually.

Hang in there Mama!!

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:16 AM   #4
madebytrudi
Registered Users

My Mood:

broccoli & beans cac cause gas too

I'd vote for gass from a big letdown & baby gulping air more than diet...... maybe burp baby more often. one of my kids didn't burp normally... I had to bend her in half like baby sit-ups or push her legs into her belly to get her to burp....
homeschooling mum (d15, d13, d11, s8, s6) Surprise #6 due Aug 13!
Navy vet and wife to a ret. MARINE
Lend Me Your Pen: my kids's homeschooling Magazine project
madebytrudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:08 AM   #5
starbuckmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have you thought of taking him to a chiropractor to get him adjusted? Make sure you find one that is great with kids and is gentle.

Just a thought
starbuckmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 04:39 PM   #6
Eli Poist
Registered Users

My Mood:

Have you considered REFLUX? We did the elimination diet and found out it wasn't my milk, rather it was my son's system that wasn't mature enough to handle it.
He had dropped into the 5% for weight by three months of age but nursed incredibly well. Every time he nursed he ended up spitting up 2/3rds and then would cry. Needless to say his cluster feeding at 3 months almost drove me insane (he'd go through nurse, spit up, nurse, spit up for four hours!)

We "reluctantly" put him on Zantac and our son was a happier baby within three days.

Ask your pediatrician about reflux.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:07 PM   #7
imamama3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I too was wondering if you've checked into reflux - what does your ped say? Has your LO been vomitting?
Old 11-27-2007, 10:13 PM   #8
krpand3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had these issues with my daughter (now 2 1/2). Eliminated things, tried everything I could think of. She was just plain uncomfortable. Never figured it out. She was better after 3 months.
Smart Balance Organic whipped spread saved me when I went dairy free. Toast with that for breakfast.
I've heard formula only makes it worse a lot of the time . You are giving him what is best. Hang in there.

krpand3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:14 PM   #9
myall4him2
Loving Touch Wet Bags
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Poist View Post
Have you considered REFLUX? We did the elimination diet and found out it wasn't my milk, rather it was my son's system that wasn't mature enough to handle it.
He had dropped into the 5% for weight by three months of age but nursed incredibly well. Every time he nursed he ended up spitting up 2/3rds and then would cry. Needless to say his cluster feeding at 3 months almost drove me insane (he'd go through nurse, spit up, nurse, spit up for four hours!)

We "reluctantly" put him on Zantac and our son was a happier baby within three days.

Ask your pediatrician about reflux.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imamama3 View Post
I too was wondering if you've checked into reflux - what does your ped say? Has your LO been vomitting?
I"ve out ruled reflux. When he was newborn I though he may have had it because you would hear him refluxing in his throat even though he would never throw it up. He doesn't do that anymore, and he doesn't spit up a lot either.

I've been on a strict diet these past few days of absolutely no milk what-so-ever and he wasn't fussy today or tonight. So maybe that's it..I hope!!

Old 11-27-2007, 10:17 PM   #10
myall4him2
Loving Touch Wet Bags
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krpand3 View Post
I had these issues with my daughter (now 2 1/2). Eliminated things, tried everything I could think of. She was just plain uncomfortable. Never figured it out. She was better after 3 months.
Smart Balance Organic whipped spread saved me when I went dairy free. Toast with that for breakfast.
I've heard formula only makes it worse a lot of the time . You are giving him what is best. Hang in there.
Thanks mama!! I've considered formula (even though that's the last thing on earth I'd want to give him if I'm able to bf) just because I'm tired of him being in pain! But I know formula can mess up a sensitive stomach too though!

I'll have to try the Smart Balance Organic whipped spread. How does it taste?