Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-03-2006, 06:15 AM   #11
yellowcampcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How many c-secs can you have?

I had one with my dd (22 mos.) b/c she was breech. I am due in 4 weeks, and my OB (yes, even in the extremely litigous washington dc area!) is allowing me to try for a vbac. I have asked him your question about how many sections, and he said as many as I need. He has done as many as 5 on the same woman, and has heard of women having as many as 8. He has mentioned taking the scar out if it is bad, too. If you dr. tells you no more than 3 (like the one the pp mentioned in IN), I would find another doctor!

Advertisement

yellowcampcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:02 AM   #12
hfitz5051
Let the rabbits wear glasses!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99
Here it is 3, they will pretty much coerce you into signing a tubal consent form when you are pregnant with your 3rd, i have had clients in tears over it because they had wanted large families...

That would be horrible!
Old 08-03-2006, 07:23 AM   #13
Blackbirdlane
Registered Users
seller

first I would suggest if you did want to try for a VBAC with your next dc, you find someone that will help you do it. not alot of people will, but I think more people are coming around to the idea.

I saw this one tv show where the lady was about to deliver her latest child and it was her 6th or 7th c-section. I have had two, and my doc said I would be good for at least 2 more.
Blackbirdlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:29 AM   #14
SugarBunsWool&More
Formerly: RileysMama
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Here it is 3, they will pretty much coerce you into signing a tubal consent form when you are pregnant with your 3rd, I have had clients in tears over it because they had wanted large families...
OMG that's so sad.
SugarBunsWool&More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:35 AM   #15
ewebabymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My OB *recommended* I stop at 3 c-sections if I had all my kids c/s. She is very pro VBAC and never tried to coerce me into a c/s with #2. My OB said she has seen women with more than 3, but recommends no more than 3 because a uterus *can* begin to get too thin. She said she will do it, but it isn't something she's going to recommend to patients.
ewebabymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 06:17 PM   #16
travelinmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it depends on the person and how much scar tissue you have. I've had three and could have more if I wanted
travelinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 04:50 PM   #17
teachermama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My Dr. told me there is no limit, nor will she impose one on me. She said scar tissue will naturally increase each time, but that the risks are minimal. I'm due to have my third C/S in December and plan to have more children in the future. I've been told that Ethel Kennedy had 11 CS and that really it is up to the woman to decide. I know mama's who have had 4+ and they are my mom's age, but really when you stop to think about it.....how many people do you know that have four or more kids and then of those how many had all c-section births? It's rare nowadays that people have more kids and even less likely that they've had all c-sections......but I'm rambling so I'll stop. Good luck and try to find a Dr. who is more supportive if you decide to have more than 3.
teachermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 07:33 PM   #18
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

well, I've had 4 and am pg with my 5th child. All 4 were c/sections. The first one was posterior so "wouldn't fit" then he was "in distress" so a c/s. The 2nd was a "failed trial of labor" and I was told I have an extra bone and can never ever push a baby out. I found a midwife for #3 but she works in a group of 8 OB/GYNs and the group wouldn't touch a VBAC after 2 c/s. So the next 2 were repeats.
BUT... I have found a Dr and 4 midwives who all reviewed my files, checked me out, and said YES I CAN do a VBA4C this time So in Feb I'm having my first vaginal birth and I can't wait!!

Theres a LOT of research out there, look things up, explore your options.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:44 AM   #19
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

I dont see how a Dr. can TELL you that - I mean, sure they can recommend not having more children but noone can make you not have any more children
Old 08-07-2006, 06:13 PM   #20
sunsera
Registered Users

Quote:
Here it is 3, they will pretty much coerce you into signing a tubal consent form when you are pregnant with your 3rd, i have had clients in tears over it because they had wanted large families...
You should definitely have a homebirth vbac, if at all possible, if you are really wanting to have natural births from here on out.
That makes me feel ill, it really does.

Thanks for all of the feedback, I feel much less stressed now. I'm going to try for a VBAC, my OB mentioned that there is an increased risk of uterine rupture during a VBAC which had me scared. LOL, I'm not PG - I *just* had a baby but of course it's on my mind!
sunsera is offline   Reply With Quote