Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-02-2006, 10:40 PM   #1
splotchy1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Need sleep advice for 4 month old

Hi,
My daughter is almost 4 months old. She's been sleeping through the night since day 4 or 5. (Please don't shoot me!) We have a modified family bed and she's always gone to sleep nursing.
Now, I know this could create a problem- and it has. I can get her to go to sleep fairly easily, but she she wakes after 5-20 minutes if I am not lying next to her. This has created a problem during the day and early evenings. She only sleeps 2-3 times a day for 15 minutes. I KNOW this isn't enough for her because of the way she acts. She's up for 12 hours straight with just these tiny catnaps. In the early evenings, she goes to sleep fine, but about every half hour I have to go in and re-settle her because she can't stay asleep without me next to her. Once I go to bed for the night, she doesn't move until morning.
If she were my first, I'd go with the flow on this. But, with a 3 year old, I just can't spend hours every day lying with my baby to get her to nap. She'll nap great in the sling- but she's getting big and harder to carry for long periods of time.
Any tips or suggestions?!

Thanks!
Ellen

Advertisement

Old 08-02-2006, 10:50 PM   #2
shell015
Banned
seller

Re: Need sleep advice for 4 month old

Well congrats on getting her to sleep through the night DS is 2 months and he has NEVER slept for more than 3 hours at a time... and now he is getting to where he won't sleep if I put him down... I am just oblivious as to what to do.. DH and I walk around like zombies. I will be watching this thread too.
shell015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:16 AM   #3
rpg_mommy
Registered Users

Is your dd rolling over yet? If not, they have those pillow things that they make for cosleeping - maybe she just needs something up against her for the security? If she's rolling over, maybe a stuffed animal or blanket would be comforting enough that she doesn't need you right there beside her the whole time.

Good luck mama!

Last edited by rpg_mommy; 08-03-2006 at 07:17 AM.
rpg_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:20 AM   #4
SugarBunsWool&More
Formerly: RileysMama
seller

My Mood:

I don't have any suggestions but I wanted to tell you how cute I think your avatar is! Such a pretty little thing!!
SugarBunsWool&More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 08:16 PM   #5
halyled
Registered Users
seller

When my son was having trouble sleeping for more than 1/2 an hour at a time, I resorted to swaddling him again. I swaddled him at birth and for a few weeks after, then stopped because all the books say stop because they're starting to stretch out then. Well, he would constantly startle himself awake. Even now he has a tendency to rub his hands across his face and wake himself up, and I'm just now starting to try and get him to sleep without being swaddled. He's six months. But a lot of the times I still nurse him to sleep. Everyone says don't...but it just happens naturally. Sometimes I just want to say lleyes2: to all the various experts who say they know what's best for my baby when not a one of them seem to agree with each other.

Anyway...good luck. Hope you find a way to help your babe (and you) get some much needed sleep!

ETA: We have one of those sleep positioners to keep him from rolling over when swaddled...that was always a fear of mine, even though he rarely rolls onto his tummy voluntarily. He's done it, but he hates it.

Last edited by halyled; 08-03-2006 at 08:18 PM.
halyled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 08:37 PM   #6
presleycaedmon
Registered Users
seller

Um...is this me talking?!?! This is my problem EXACTLY!!! My DD turned 4 months this week and she's been sleeping through the night for a long time now. We have a family bed and she sleeps right up against me and "grazes" all night. So, at night it's fine but during the day she's miserable because I have a 4 year old son who needs me which prevents me from lying in bed with her all day.

Are you sure you're not me?!?!
Old 08-03-2006, 08:50 PM   #7
MamaMegan
Banned
seller

Another "I could be writing this post."

No suggestions at all. If anything I'll put a video on (we have a TV/VCR in our bedroom) and I lay down with both kids-- my daughter will snooze since I'm there, and my son will relax and watch the video and snuggle (but heaven forbid he nap).
MamaMegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:24 PM   #8
splotchy1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So good to hear others are having the same issue!!! (Not happy you are having the probolem, but so happy I'm not alone!)
I started trying to swaddle her again, but the newborn swaddling blankets I have don't fit her anymore, and I'm just not good at doing it tight with a regular blanket. Plus, it's been so hot here!
Are there any swaddling blankets/tools out there that work for a bigger child than a newborn???
Ellen
Old 08-03-2006, 09:24 PM   #9
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

My 4 month old still loves being swaddled. He nurses to sleep at night, and during the day I swaddle him when I know it's nap time, nurse him to sleep, then move him into his swing, and he sleeps for about 3 hours or so. But at night he sleeps from like, midnight until usually 10 or 11 in the morning (although I have to wake him at 6 to give him a bottle because he wasn't gaining weight before).
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:05 PM   #10
DakotasMommy
Registered Users

Could it be that he is very familiar w/your scent? I dont co sleep, but... during the day, when my fussy meatball wont sleep, I spray just a dab of my perfume on the corner of his crib.. and he seems to sleep better.. It could be just me.. but it does seem to work.
hth