Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-28-2007, 01:21 PM   #1
tea4two321
Registered Users
seller

2 vaxing questions

As I'm trying to wade through all the vaxing info in an attempt to be as informed as I can be about all this, I have two questions for you: (this is assuming you do atleast SOME vaccines for your LO. This is not meant to debate whether or not I should vax at all)

What is the ONE vax you would never have your child get, why? (or what is the one vax you regret your child getting?)

What is the ONE vax you deem to be the most important (and why)?

Advertisement

tea4two321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:26 PM   #2
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 2 vaxing questions

Personally, our kids are fully vax'd but if we have a DD we won't be getting the Gardisil vax.

I probably regret a few different vax's, maybe the DTaP after the reaction my son got from it. But it was on his last dose that he got the worst site reaction. His first dose just made him really crabby and fussy.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:31 PM   #3
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

tie between DTaP and MMR for the "worst vax" award.

the one I I got for my otherwise-not-vaxed kid was tetanus. I made them give adult tetanus (which has *the same* vax dosage but *less* diptheria vax and less preservatives)
I don't get any at all any more.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:04 PM   #4
jackie010307
Registered Users
seller

We do selective and delayed vaxing for several reasons, but if someone were only going to get one I would consider tetnus (sp). Most cases do not come from a rusty nail, or a rusty anything, but from playing in the dirt. After doing the research on that we've decided that our dd will have the tetnus portion before next summer, when she will be playing outside.

The one that I regret most is our youngest ds getting his first mmr. Both our our boys are fully vaxed and were vaxed on schedule. Every doctor I have ever told this to has told me it's impossible, but it's true. Before he got the mmr he could eat anything, and loved egg noodles. The week after he had the mmr he ate some and threw up all over his grandpa. We thought he just had a stomach bug. Tried again the next week, he got hives and his face started swelling up. No one has ever been able to explain how he could eat eggs before this vax but not after. I know this sounds almost impossible, and I thought it was too, but that's what happened.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:27 PM   #5
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't vax, but am not anti-vax either. I'm just anti-current vaccine schedule and think most vaccines aren't needed. But the theory of vaccines is good, they just need to improve the current process.

Anyways, the one shot I would never ever allow anyone to give my son is the DTaP. The last case of Diphtheria was in 2003, Tetanus isn't remotely a threat in healthy children, and the Pertussis vaccines is insanely dangerous, and incredibly ineffective. VERY linked to SIDS, imo. I wouldn't touch the Pertussis vaccines with a 10 foot pole. MMR is the next one I think is the most ridiculous. Measles and Mumps are not generally a scary disease in children. And Rubella is about as mild a disease as they come, it's only a threat if a pregnant woman gets it.

HiB is one of the most effective shots, and I did consider it. Now, I know enough that I don't think that one is needed either, but if forced, I'm thinking that is the one I'd have picked.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:41 PM   #6
b'smom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are fully vaxing our son, although if we have a daughter I wouldn't get the Gardisil. I would let her choose as an older teenager whether or not she needs it. And by then there will be much more information on it. I also question whether Hepatitis or Chicken Pox is really necessary. I can't imagine a child getting Hepatitis B from anyone and Chicken Pox is a pretty benign disease. Those can be done later if you choose.

As for ones I feel are important: DTaP/IPV/Hib, Pneumococcal conjugate, Meningococcal conjugate.

The flu vaccine is one I may not have bothered with for him (but would have got one myself), but we are travelling overseas soon. MMR is controversial for sure. Its best to do your research and come up with a decision you feel comfortable with.
b'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:53 PM   #7
TieNappyQueen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I can't say just one. I stopped at two monethes and feel bad that I even did that much. Once you learn about the 'diseases' and how they are affected and treated here in the US, the vaxes are all much scarier than that. Polio is pretty stupid but then again, for where we live and how we live I think that they all are. I know not what you wanted to hear but how I feel.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:19 PM   #8
baby1577
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

absolutely no= tie between MMR and DTaP for reasons listed above.

I am going to copy Tiffer23 and say HiB for the second question, with the same follow up too. It isn't necessary IMO but it is one of the ones I feel most comfortable with.

You should check out The Vaccine book that just came out a few months back. Very up-to-date info that isn't trying to convince you one way or another, just educate.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20
I am living the dream selling Plexus! Message me for info about a line of products that can help your family achieve overall wellness. Free shipping for all my DS mamas! Join my team today and find financial freedom! I have! http://shea7.myplexusproducts.com
baby1577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:26 PM   #9
tea4two321
Registered Users
seller

I'm most concerned with any that are POSSIBLY associated with SIDS. I say that because my LO sleeps on her tummy and I want to avoid any vax's that may put her at increased risk. Does that make any sense?

I can't see any point in gardasil, the chicken pox, and hep A or B. I keep thinking that mmr, dtap and the injectable polio have been around a long time and are somewhat tried and true, but it seems there are NOW more reactions than before, any reason for this??
tea4two321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:25 PM   #10
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Check out the CDC's VEARS reports. Stick in DTaP and Death and click the under 2, or 2 and under button. It's really scary. Only about 10% of vaccine reactions are reported. I believe that many SIDS cases are caused by the Pertussis vaccine. That is my opinion, but I've made it based on lots of reading/research.

You've seen all the recent (last 5 years) outbreaks of measles and mumps? Those are because of the vaccines. Childhood immunity is wearing off. If you get measles or mumps naturally, you're far better protected.

And the only cases of Polio in the US are caused BY the polio vaccine.

Really, you've got to do what you're most comfortable with for your child. Don't take what anyone else says (even me). Do true research on it, and decide. But just because something has been around for a long time, doesn't make it right or safe.