Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-29-2007, 02:57 AM   #11
lissa~K
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: 2 vaxing questions

My older two are fully vaxed, but littlest baby boy is unvaxed so far. I'll go ahead and echo pps in that the vaccines that I fear most are the DTAP, and MMR. I also have no plans to give my daughter Gardisil. When she is 18, she is welcomed to make a fully informed decision on that. I have been debating HIB for the baby, it is one of the safest and the only one our ped has been pushing. I just don't know what to do about that, it's something that literally keeps me up at night

Advertisement

Old 11-29-2007, 05:43 AM   #12
BlsdMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We get Hib on schedule. Hib is for a form of bacterial meningitis that moves very quickly and is most deadly on infants under the age of 1. It's a disease that doctors don't diagnose very quickly (generally) and then it is difficult to control even with fabulous medical care. So, we do the Hib on schedule. We also do tetanus around 2-3 because, many aren't aware that most people who get tetanus or die of tetanus get it from a very superficial wound. It generally isn't a deep gaping nail hole. It can be as small as a splinter or thorn prick oddly enough. The facts on tetanus really surprised me. Approx. 30% of the people that die or almost die from regular tetanus (not neonate) they never do find the original wound.

What won't I get?
Absolutely not Gardisil.

I regret giving my kids Varicella. Though I should say I would try to get them it by about 13 (the real Chicken Pox) and if it didn't happen I would consider vaxing then. And I'm not fond of the Hep B vaccine. I don't like DTP so that is an uber delayed vaccine. MMR should be delayed.

Everything except Hib we delay.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:56 AM   #13
BlsdMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would argue the case that tetanus is certainly a threat in a healthy child. Tetanus happens this way. You get a wound. You get the tetanus in the wound. Essentially it can lie dormant for up to 20 years! ((((Edited to Add: NOT in the wound - on wood, in dirt, etc.) It gets in the wound by way of dirt or a sliver, etc. The wound closes on the top (common) and then it has created an anaerobic environment, like a vacuum. Tetanus can only multiply in an anaerobic environment. Let's say you puncture yourself with a nail. If you were to then take a razor blade and make a nice long slice in your foot and keep it clean and open to the air you'd be fine. You'd have to prevent it from healing on top and allow it to heal from the inside out, but it would prevent tetanus. It's the waste of the multiplying tetanus that is toxic to our nervous system. A healthy child is just as capable of getting tetanus. They are more likely to survive it though. Tetanus is NOT always fatal. As a matter of fact the most lethal form of tetanus is neonate tetanus caused by cutting the umbilical cord with a dirty instrument. We don't have to worry much about that in the US.

Polio has only had about ten cases in the last ten years. Each has been caused by the vaccine itself. HOWEVER, that was when they were doing live vaccines. You can't get the disease from the killed disease. However, it has been eradicated from the US. Does that mean it won't come back. It is a virtual certainty that it WILL come back. However, does that mean we should vaccinate our 2 month old for it? No. This is a vaccine that waits til 2 or 3 or older.

I wouldn't touch the Pertussis vaccine with a ten foot pole in a child under the age of 4. And while annoying and exhausting because whooping cough lasts for weeks, it's really only deadly dangerous in the old, the young (under a year) and the weak. And the vaccine is to dangerous, IMO to give a young child. So, it can wait 'til they are older too.

I think DTaP gets Most Dangerous Vaccine award and I think we're going to find out it is FAR worse than we suspect.

I think MMR gets Most Useless Vaccine award because it causes problems and they are for such benign diseases. Diseases like Measles, Mumps, Rubella used to have the same reputation (in the US) as essentially the Chicken Pox. I mean look at how many people die from the Chicken Pox. What they DON'T tell you is that it's people with severely weakend immune systems.... MMR is an insane vaccine to get when your children are so little.

But, honestly, I'm PRO vaccine. I'm just against the schedule and stupid vaccines.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:27 AM   #14
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ahh.... but how many healthy children have had Tetanus in the last, even 20 years? There was a child with diabetes, and then a couple cases of neonatal Tetanus (the umbilical cord was cut with a dirty instrument). As long as a wound bleeds, or is properly cleaned, Tetanus is almost certain not to be a problem.

Tetanus is most common in older women who garden and farmers.

Is it possible for a healthy child to get it? I'm sure it is. But by statistics alone, it just doesn't happen.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:23 AM   #15
TieNappyQueen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer23 View Post
Check out the CDC's VEARS reports. Stick in DTaP and Death and click the under 2, or 2 and under button. It's really scary. Only about 10% of vaccine reactions are reported. I believe that many SIDS cases are caused by the Pertussis vaccine. That is my opinion, but I've made it based on lots of reading/research.

You've seen all the recent (last 5 years) outbreaks of measles and mumps? Those are because of the vaccines. Childhood immunity is wearing off. If you get measles or mumps naturally, you're far better protected.

And the only cases of Polio in the US are caused BY the polio vaccine.

Really, you've got to do what you're most comfortable with for your child. Don't take what anyone else says (even me). Do true research on it, and decide. But just because something has been around for a long time, doesn't make it right or safe.
THANK YOU!!!!!
Old 11-29-2007, 11:32 AM   #16
TieNappyQueen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlsdMama View Post
But, honestly, I'm PRO vaccine. I'm just against the schedule and stupid vaccines.
I totally agree with you. If we were in a third world country or a time with poor sanition, ( which is the number one reason for the drop in diseases, not vaxes) then I am all for it if we were weak or malnurioushed or such.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:39 AM   #17
RockinClothBunz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We fully vax our kids. But, that new one for girls, we have a while to go before Ava needs that so I'm not sure about that one yet.
Auntie to Trentin 5-31-09
RockinClothBunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:02 PM   #18
Shawna in CA
Registered Users

My Mood:

I've been mulling over vaxes for the new kid, too.

Someone suggested reading the new vaccine book, and I'm reading it now. It's helpful, but still makes ya go, "Hmmm, maybe that one won't be THAT bad?"

We're having a girl, and she will not be getting a Gardisil vax, either. It's just not necessary if she keeps up with regular paps, and I can say this after having an abnormal pap in '94 and having to have my cervix frozen to remove pre-cancerous cells. Having been through a treatment program myself, I'm STILL not getting her that vaccine.

It's hard to decide which ones to get, which to delay, etc. especially after my first was vaxed on schedule because I didn't know any better 15 years ago.

Anyway, thanks for this post. Reading everyone's replies has been really, really helpful, and I'm sure I'm not the only one to benefit from the questions you've asked today.

Thank you.

"If we switch to eating a vegan diet, we no longer have to "save the planet". Veganism allows the planet to save itself." ~~ Jeff Popick
Shawna in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:33 PM   #19
craftymomto5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smile Re: 2 vaxing questions

I would for go the gardisil and the chicken pox vaxes. There are a few others that I would delay until they are older. My 4 older kids have been fully vaxed from day one. The only thing I have encountered is ADD in the middle three.
My youngest had seizures after her 1 year appt so we are delaying the other ones she will get. I highly recommend that you read Dr.Sears...The Vaccine Book. It's really informative and sets the record straight.
craftymomto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:38 PM   #20
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My big most hated vax is MMR, that is because that is the one Kearnan reacted to. He developed encephalitis and has braindamage now. He's since been diagnosed with PDD NOS (atypical autism) and his neuro says the brain damage is the cause. And since he reacted I can't even begin to tell you how many mothers I have spoken to with similar stories, normally developing kids who regressed and developed autism after the MMR vaccine. On top of that measels, mumps and rubella are just normal childhood illnesses, they really aren't anything to be afraid of anymore than chickenpox is (infact mumps has less than half the incidence of complications than chickenpox, and rubella even less than that, measels is slightly higher, but not much).

If I had to pick one vax to do it would probably be tetanus, but like a PP it wouldn't be dtap. But I reacted to the tetanus booster so I kind of think that would make it a no for my kids. I suffered temporary nerve damage after my tetanus booster at 5yrs. I haven't had a booster since. The other vaccine I woudl consider would be HIB, it has been one of he least reactive vaxes on the market, and it is very effective. The catch is HIB isn't dangerous in children over 15 months, and since the introduction of HIB we have seen a rise in non b serotype haemoinfluenza which is just as dangerous as the b-serotype. So you are trading protecting against one serotype for a rise in all the others. And if you are bfing and your child isn't in daycare their risk of HIB is very very small.

Overall I am antivaccine so I don't know if this will help, but if it were me and I had to pick one vaccine to give it woudl be HIB. And if I had to tell a very provax person one vax they absolutely shouldn't get it would be MMR.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote