Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-30-2007, 03:26 PM   #11
S Starr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mamas of lo's with wheat/gluten intolerance in here, please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leininger27 View Post
the celiacs test is not always correct before the age of 5 and it is pretty invasive test.
My dd was tested just through a blood draw. Is that not a conclusive test?

Advertisement

Old 11-30-2007, 10:51 PM   #12
mom2madison06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Celiac test is not "too invasive." I believe there is a blood test.

I'd test. The GF diet is serious-- not something I'd want to do without an official diagnosis. My Grandmother is Celiac, and it requires a lot of research for what foods may have been contaminated during the processing, and what "hidden ingredients" contain gluten, etc, etc.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:03 PM   #13
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

There is a blood draw they can do that will show if they are susceptible to celiac disease, but it is not a definitive diagnosis. My ds was hospitalized and they did a biopsy of his intestines which will show how much their intestine is damaged and if it truly is celiacs disease.

Yes it is invasive. Call me crazy but having my ds go through what he did I would pass if i knew what it was all going to entail. I would have just gone with the GF diet and seen if it helped.
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 11:18 PM   #14
madebytrudi
Registered Users

My Mood:

We found my 8 yo was sensitive to gluten after years of moodswings (towards depression) she'd get pale & not herself. Then her legs were hurting all the time and she'd get headaches. belly aches too. I figured it out after one day at a picnic within an hour after eating a sandwich she got a headache. We took her off gluten and her symptoms changed.. paleness & dark circles under eyes went away, mood lifted, etc. We don't have to do 100% gluten free, but are learning her limits on what is too much in a week for her. We are starting to eat a lot of lacto-fermented foods (kefir, kombucha, etc) to help heal our guts and staying as far from processed foods as possible. Nothing from a box, except certain cereals. Lots of oatmeal and replace oatmeal & rice flour (some spelt) in all recipes. Real sourdough (homemade kind, not fake store kind) is a lacto-fermented bread that is very low on gluten and if you let it sit long enough, you'll get rid of all the gluten. I've tried, but had a confusing recipe & didn't succeed....

I've recently found I'm starch intolerant, so that is a big one to deal with as starch is in almost everything! (pears, some apples, squash, corn, potatoes, yams, beans, grains, nuts, bananas.....) can you say UGH??? I have ankylosing spondylitis & starch makes the arthritis flare and cause joints to start fusing... So I am concerned about my kid having a 'sensitivity' now and by us 'cheating' and allowing wheat, it may possibly cause damage later.

We've done celiac blood testing on my other daughter and I don't know anything about it. I figured it was a genetic problem that caused the allergy. I guess something I'll have to read up on!

Don't be afraid of a new diet for your family. Wheat is really bad for everyone so once you start figuring out how to cook without wheat, it's not really that bad. Everyone's health will be better!

good luck!
homeschooling mum (d15, d13, d11, s8, s6) Surprise #6 due Aug 13!
Navy vet and wife to a ret. MARINE
Lend Me Your Pen: my kids's homeschooling Magazine project
madebytrudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:31 AM   #15
heluvsme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks so much for your post, mama...I am so sorry you are having these troubles! It's so hard to figure out what is going on...everything you look up on the internet is confusing...DD's major symptoms are the tummy and leg aches. I am getting agitated as we have been off wheat for a few days and she is complaining more than ever!!! I don't want to go through this for nothing...but I figure it has to be the wheat. For me, the only thing I have noticed is I don't get hungry in the middle of the night now (weird!).

I will stick with it for a while and see what happens. It is hard not to get stressed out about it...I read one blog where the lady had to throw out her pans and utensils as gluten will leave a residue! Sheesh!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madebytrudi View Post
We found my 8 yo was sensitive to gluten after years of moodswings (towards depression) she'd get pale & not herself. Then her legs were hurting all the time and she'd get headaches. belly aches too. I figured it out after one day at a picnic within an hour after eating a sandwich she got a headache. We took her off gluten and her symptoms changed.. paleness & dark circles under eyes went away, mood lifted, etc. We don't have to do 100% gluten free, but are learning her limits on what is too much in a week for her. We are starting to eat a lot of lacto-fermented foods (kefir, kombucha, etc) to help heal our guts and staying as far from processed foods as possible. Nothing from a box, except certain cereals. Lots of oatmeal and replace oatmeal & rice flour (some spelt) in all recipes. Real sourdough (homemade kind, not fake store kind) is a lacto-fermented bread that is very low on gluten and if you let it sit long enough, you'll get rid of all the gluten. I've tried, but had a confusing recipe & didn't succeed....

I've recently found I'm starch intolerant, so that is a big one to deal with as starch is in almost everything! (pears, some apples, squash, corn, potatoes, yams, beans, grains, nuts, bananas.....) can you say UGH??? I have ankylosing spondylitis & starch makes the arthritis flare and cause joints to start fusing... So I am concerned about my kid having a 'sensitivity' now and by us 'cheating' and allowing wheat, it may possibly cause damage later.

We've done celiac blood testing on my other daughter and I don't know anything about it. I figured it was a genetic problem that caused the allergy. I guess something I'll have to read up on!

Don't be afraid of a new diet for your family. Wheat is really bad for everyone so once you start figuring out how to cook without wheat, it's not really that bad. Everyone's health will be better!

good luck!
Old 12-01-2007, 01:12 PM   #16
ThatLinGirl
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leininger27 View Post
There is a blood draw they can do that will show if they are susceptible to celiac disease, but it is not a definitive diagnosis. My ds was hospitalized and they did a biopsy of his intestines which will show how much their intestine is damaged and if it truly is celiacs disease.
Yup. The blood test is not definitive. The blood test is for the Celiac gene. One can carry the gene without being a Celiac -- so it is a good first step, but you need the scope to diagnose.

Lindsay, mama to Caroline Lois (05/28/06) and scrunchy new Kate (12/31/08)
ThatLinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 07:17 PM   #17
madebytrudi
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heluvsme View Post
Thanks so much for your post, mama...I am so sorry you are having these troubles! It's so hard to figure out what is going on...everything you look up on the internet is confusing...DD's major symptoms are the tummy and leg aches. I am getting agitated as we have been off wheat for a few days and she is complaining more than ever!!! I don't want to go through this for nothing...but I figure it has to be the wheat. For me, the only thing I have noticed is I don't get hungry in the middle of the night now (weird!).

I will stick with it for a while and see what happens. It is hard not to get stressed out about it...I read one blog where the lady had to throw out her pans and utensils as gluten will leave a residue! Sheesh!!!
I forgot to add that leg cramps & pains can be a big sign of low calcium.... does she also have white spots on her fingernails? that means a serious calcium deficiency. You need a calcium supplement with magnesium & NOT oystershell calcium... green veggies are the best source, RAW milk being a good 2nd... (homogenized/pasteurized milk do not have absorbable calcium).. I think calcium lactate is the best one for us to take....
homeschooling mum (d15, d13, d11, s8, s6) Surprise #6 due Aug 13!
Navy vet and wife to a ret. MARINE
Lend Me Your Pen: my kids's homeschooling Magazine project
madebytrudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 07:23 PM   #18
courtney_adkins05
Registered Users
seller

i have a friend who's mom owns and opperates a store called delicious n fit in plano tx. she has a website...i think its www.deliciousnfit.com or something very close. she has all kinds of food there that is ok for people who suffers from celiac (the allergy to wheat/gluten) she does ship to pretty much everywhere if you are interested.
courtney_adkins05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:27 AM   #19
heluvsme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madebytrudi View Post
I forgot to add that leg cramps & pains can be a big sign of low calcium.... does she also have white spots on her fingernails? that means a serious calcium deficiency. You need a calcium supplement with magnesium & NOT oystershell calcium... green veggies are the best source, RAW milk being a good 2nd... (homogenized/pasteurized milk do not have absorbable calcium).. I think calcium lactate is the best one for us to take....
Thanks, yes I have been thinking about trying that. She is allergic to dairy as well~even raw goat's milk. I will try giving her some calcium and see if that helps! Thanks for the nudge, mama! I have some good stuff (I know about junk calcium )
Old 12-03-2007, 09:28 AM   #20
heluvsme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtney_adkins05 View Post
i have a friend who's mom owns and opperates a store called delicious n fit in plano tx. she has a website...i think its www.deliciousnfit.com or something very close. she has all kinds of food there that is ok for people who suffers from celiac (the allergy to wheat/gluten) she does ship to pretty much everywhere if you are interested.

Mama, your link didn't work for me