Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-03-2007, 04:13 PM   #21
Sirion
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mamas of lo's with wheat/gluten intolerance in here, please!

I saw some folks using spelt and wanted to let you know that spelt is not gluten free. Spelt is a derivative of wheat. Spelt has less gluten than wheat, but isn't generally considered appropriate for people with celiac disease or wheat allergy.

It's totally overwhelming to go gluten-free, but after a month or so, it becomes easier. The hard part is that you have to keep reading the labels every time because manufacturers change ingredients so often.

I'm making a gluten-free gingerbread house for DD to take to a gingerbread decorating party this weekend.

Advertisement

Old 12-04-2007, 10:41 PM   #22
madebytrudi
Registered Users

My Mood:

my understanding of spelt is it is an ancient wheat, and has not been genetically modified as our current wheat is. Also that the gluten is easier to digest vs the 'regular' wheat...that being said, for those with celiac, anything with gluten is a no-no...
wheat intolerance... might just be a case of sick intestines that can't handle the gluten and once it's healed, possibly small amts of wheat can be tolerated better.

I am currently learning about people with food allergies (to real food, not the manufactured fake stuff like homo-milk, etc) as well as other symptoms (fibromyalgia, IBS, chron's, etc) and that they are all signs of sick intestines... I'm in the process of healing everyone in my family (7 of us!) and have noticed some differences already just by adding good lacto-fermented foods (Kombucha tea & Kefir).

I hope you find the answers to your daughter's problems!! Changing your eating habits away from wheat will actually be a GOOD thing for your whole family!!
homeschooling mum (d15, d13, d11, s8, s6) Surprise #6 due Aug 13!
Navy vet and wife to a ret. MARINE
Lend Me Your Pen: my kids's homeschooling Magazine project
madebytrudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:07 AM   #23
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

According to the naturopath we saw who diagnosed my dd with a wheat intolerance, spelt was something that was considered okay for her to have. However, I know most people with Celiac's cannot handle it. But there is a difference between intolerance and allergy. We are, however, going to try and go virtually gluten free, at least for her (and the rest of the family as budget allows) after the holidays. I don't know if her intolerance can turn into an actual allergy or not, but don't want to chance it.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:17 AM   #24
courtney_adkins05
Registered Users
seller

oops my bad...i double checked...
http://www.delicious-n-fit.com/
courtney_adkins05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:59 AM   #25
heluvsme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh my goodness, her stuff looks amazing! Does she ship baked goods??? Or is it just local? I wish we had a place like that here!!!
Old 12-05-2007, 10:30 AM   #26
courtney_adkins05
Registered Users
seller

im pretty sure she does, ive only been in the store twice but everything looks amazing. i had chicken fingers and french fries at the little cafe, they were different than 'normal' ones but i assume if you cant eat reg chicken fingers they are the next best thing. i wish id read this post last night as her son was here...if he comes by i'll be sure to ask/suggest that she does that...since i seem to be the one spreading her info across the nation
Old 12-05-2007, 10:37 AM   #27
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

www.glutenfreemall.com is an awesome site for gluten free foods. You can get so much there. Just make sure if you order anything that needs to be frozen you fill the entire cooler to make it worth it financially.
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 10:38 AM   #28
courtney_adkins05
Registered Users
seller

ok ladies i just got off the phone with laura (owner of delicious n fit) and she says to place an order you just list the allergens of your l/o and they adjust the recipe for you. they have ready made items as well as dry mixes to make yourself. EVERYTHING is gluten free there, she is very excited that i mentioned the store...and i hope she gets some business from other places and not just our city