Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-03-2006, 02:18 PM   #1
Emma
Registered Users
seller

Signing with baby?

My best friend suggested that I do signing with Ivy. It's not something I ever really thought about. When do you start? how do you start? What information is out there that you'd recommend?

Advertisement

Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 02:26 PM   #2
rpg_mommy
Registered Users

Re: Signing with baby?

YAY! We love baby sign language!

We've been signing to our son since - well, since he was probably a week old. We picked about 8 signs and try to do them religiously when we use the associated word: mommy, daddy, milk, eat, change diaper, more, ball, dog. DS is 8 months now and is understanding signs (I can just do the "milk" sign, and he comes to me and pulls my shirt) but isn't actually doing them yet. I expect him to start doing them soon though, most of my friends said their kids started signing between 8 and 10 months.

I think it's a WONDERFUL thing to do! Any way to be able to communicate with my son before he starts talking HAS to be a bonus. There are tons of websites that you can go to to learn the signs - just do a yahoo search for "baby sign language" and you can find plenty of info.

I've heard some people say "OH they'll not learn to talk if they sign" but that's bull - they learn to walk even though they start off crawling, right?

Good luck mama!
rpg_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 02:27 PM   #3
Watercolor Ponies
Professional, Proficient, PeeWell Procurer (or anything else you want me to stalk!)
seller

My Mood:

I heard about it for my first two, and looked into it with #2 pretty seriously, but never really dedicated myself to learning the signs, so I didn't do much with it. With my third, we got the Baby Signing Times DVDs and we all (even my 4 yo learned the signs and sings to all the songs) LOVE them!! And I am proud to say that today, at a little over 10 months old, ds signed "milk"!! You just basically use the sign before you give them the item you are teaching the sign for. Make sure you have their attention, of course, but nothing really beyond repitition once you learn the sign, and I say the word at the same time I am signing it. The DVDs really helped though, I am almost ready for a new set of different signs. And you can start at any time, bu we waited unti ds was about 6/7 months old.
Watercolor Ponies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 02:40 PM   #4
itsmelanie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We used Signing Time with my son too. I taught some baby signs to my first daughter (using the Baby Signs book) but we're enjoying the Signing Time DVD's more. My daughters are learning really well.

My son has picked up the sign for more and knows how to use it, I'm tickled! He's 11 mo old, so he basically claps his hands rather than his fingers together, but his point is made. We're working on milk and all done now, plus a few more.

I highly recommend Signing Time dvd's!
itsmelanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 02:54 PM   #5
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

We use Baby signing Time, a wonderful ds mama sent us a set and both my kids LOVE to watch it, my son caught on FAST and knows all the signs, as i do , we watch the dvd's everyday over and over..lol my dd tries to "say" the signs as the lady speaks. i do help danae sign the words and say the word along so she knows the sign and word go together. i think it's so awesome to teach your kids sign language, i never thought about it too much until i was taking to her ECI teacher who informed me it might be some time before she even learns to talk.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 02:58 PM   #6
Jekky
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I totally recommend it! Babies usually start signing back around 9months.
We did it off and on from 6 months and were not too serious about it until he started signing back!
Jack is 15months and knows 'milk', 'more', 'finished', 'star', 'please', 'thankyou'
and 'happy' - it is so sweet! Also his speech is NOT delayed at all as some ignorant ppl will argue. He says way more words than most babies his age.
Happy signing!
Jekky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 03:08 PM   #7
gymrat
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma
My best friend suggested that I do signing with Ivy. It's not something I ever really thought about. When do you start? how do you start? What information is out there that you'd recommend?
I started with DS at 5 months old with the signs milk, more, and eat (referring to when we were eating since he did not get solids yet). He really took to the milk sign and understood it very shortly after starting the sign. It took him a few months to make the signs himself.

Start with looking at your library and online. Here are 2 sites my friend has on her blog that I like...

http://www.lifeprint.com/index.htm

http://deafness.about.com/gi/dynamic...es%2Faslweb%2F

You can start when you feel ready. To start pick a few signs that you feel will work for your family then just start signing them to Ivy when appropriate. So if you pick milk sign milk before and during her feeding session.

Depending on the route you decide will determine more of what you will use. Some people like videos/DVDs while other books are just fine. Plus, you have to decide if you are going to use ASL (American Sign Language) or make up your own. I picked out a few baby signing books at my libraby and an ASL dictionary since I planned not to make the signs up.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:17 PM   #8
BeckyP
Registered Users
seller

I just looked up a signing web site and starting signing words at we use a lot. He started signing back at 10 months. This is the site we used

http://www.aslpro.com/
BeckyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 05:52 PM   #9
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/aslweb/browser.htm

This site has almost any sign you would want, with videos of how to do them. DH and I have been drilling each other to learn them, and we plan on starting to use them as much as possible when he's 4 months (which is this Saturday).
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:12 PM   #10
navars2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I started using them with both of my kids around 3-4 months old. DD did her first sign back to me (milk) at 6 months old, I believe. DS was 7 months old. At almost 11 months, DS does four signs.
navars2 is offline   Reply With Quote