Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-02-2007, 11:19 AM   #1
beautiful8
Registered Users
Formerly: beautiful7
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy Colicky baby! :( , support needed please!!

My 3rd baby was colicky, but never like this...

my poor Mr. Cohen is SUPER Colicky!! It breaks my heart the way he cries sometimes. He doesn't want to nurse, he doesn't want to eat, sleep, or be held, OR be alone

It's SO pitiful and sad!!

The Dr. reccomended Gripe water...I got some, but when do you give it to them? I don't see anything on this ingredient list that would seem to make a difference but what do I know? *lol*

The lady at the health food store said they used it on her DD. I thought maybe it was similar to the colick water they used to give babies when we lived in Germany, I think it had fennel seed in it, but the one I have doesn't that I can see.

Anyone ever used this stuff with good results?

Also,wanted to add...we *think* he gets cranky ('er ) when he is constipated. And he gets constipated easily/frequently.

Did you ever figure out why your baby was colicky? From what I have read there are reasons, just not always known reasons...is that right?

Advertisement

beautiful8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 11:39 AM   #2
ThatLinGirl
Registered Users
seller

Re: Colicky baby! :( , support needed please!!

Any signs of allergies or reflux? It was a combo of those two for my colicky baby.

Lindsay, mama to Caroline Lois (05/28/06) and scrunchy new Kate (12/31/08)
ThatLinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 11:46 AM   #3
GrahamBaby4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my middle ds who screamed/cried from birt til 17 months changed when he had tubes put in his ears....he had a ton of allergies causing the ear infectiond though....good luck mama, its not easy... and gripe water i learned about w/ number 3...worked for gas, hiccoughs...3rd however was peaceful if it wasnt these two problems because we learned about family allergies from mid son.
GrahamBaby4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 11:53 AM   #4
Kris5135
Registered Users
seller

A hot water bottle (with warm water NOT hot) against the tummy was the only thing that did it for my little guy. He's go from screaming & thrashing to fast asleep in 30 seconds. I would use one of those sleep positioner wedge things and put him sideways, but sorta on top of the bottle bottle, with it wedged against his tummy, but far from his face. The gripe water helped a tad, but nothing like the hot water bottle.
Kris5135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 11:56 AM   #5
Meghan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son was colicky for the first 6-8 weeks. It would start at 5pm and not end till midnight. It was so sad to hear him cry, I agree. I have some ideas, if you'd like to PM me maybe we can chat about them! :hug: and prayers for you and your baby!

Meghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:05 PM   #6
Heather8183
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatLinGirl View Post
Any signs of allergies or reflux? It was a combo of those two for my colicky baby.
Ditto that foy mine!
Heather8183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:08 PM   #7
cm.thomas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS was colicky- turned out it was reflux. I've heard the chiropractor can do WONDERS for colicky LOs too! Good luck mama!
ISO:BSRB TIANs
cm.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:08 PM   #8
homeschoolingmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD was very colicky... ds was while he had untreated reflux- babies do NOT have to projectile vomit or even spit up loads to have reflux- so this is something to consider. I knew he had it b.c I would hear it gurgling in his throat and he would scream... and (I didn't get it at the time, but later!) every time he would lay down, he would get up after about 10-15 minutes.. he never would lay down and take a good nap... Until after he started reflux meds...

For dd things that helped were... I stopped eating dairy products, She saw a chiropractor, took probiotics, used catnip tea

She was also a very slow weight gain baby, and now (years later ) I am almost positive I had a poor milk supply, which I'm sure contributed to her crying so much. (She nursed every 1 1/2-2 hours until she started solids.) I am sure that was not the entire problem though- as she really improved with all of the above mentioned things....

Mama.. It really does get better
Old 12-02-2007, 12:28 PM   #9
Kaden's mom
Registered Users

My Mood:

My DS had colic and it is so, so hard. He also had reflux which was helped with medication. Now this might sound weird but the sound of the vacuum worked for us. He'd be screaming and screaming and couldn't fall asleep and I'd turn the vacuum on and he'd fall asleep. It wasn't fool proof, but it helped. My husband's coworker actually found a vacuum audio recording on the computer and put it on a cd for his baby who was also collicky.
At around 3 or 4 months, he was a changed baby. It was remarkable. He became a happy, delightful little guy. He's still a busy boy and we have to be careful not overtire him. He has a difficult time unwinding and acts tired and overstimulated.
Do you have anybody that can give you a break? It is so exhausting and heartbreaking to feel so helpless. I hope that you can find the support you need.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:12 PM   #10
mama2c&a
Registered Users
seller

Ds was colicky and would scream for hours every day. We got gripe water when we were in the Bahamas and it did help some. Other than that I survived by wearing him.....hanging out in a wrap was the only thing that made him happy for the first few months.

DD had projectile spitup and the only thing that really helped was when she was put on meds (liquid Zantac).......and we did try many other things before the meds and it pretty much blew everyone's minds that she had that bad of reflux and was EBF. Again the wrap helped to save me too because she loved being worn in it. We didn't need the medication after she was around 5 or 6 months because she outgrew the reflux.

I hope you find a solution. Good luck!