Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-04-2006, 02:00 PM   #1
sheri_b
Registered Users

My Mood:
I don't want to sposie at night, but.....ok..tell me you told me so!

Ok, unless you pro's can help me, we're going to have to go to sposies at night.

Kathryn has some really strong urine (very yellow and smells strong). When she's been in a dipe overnight for 12 hrs or so, the smell can knock you out. Seriously, it's so strong it burns your nose. Her poor little bottom is so red and sensitive that I have to rinse her off and can't wipe. But, she's fine in a few hours. I've tried using fleece liners, even 2 of them. We've used bumGenius, peewells, swaddlebees fitteds and pockets....you name it. I put her in a sposie last night, this morning she didn't smell and her bum was normal.

I'm not sure what to do...is there anything else I can try? I hate the idea of putting paper and chemicals on her, but I can't have her being raw every morning.

Any advice?

Advertisement

Last edited by sheri_b; 08-08-2006 at 08:23 PM. Reason: update
sheri_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 02:07 PM   #2
rebyell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I don't want to sposie at night, but.....

Is it really dark and yellow everytime she pees? If so is it possible hs eis dehydrated? Just a thought, I know that is what happens to me when I don't drink enough.

We use snapez fleece pockets (any pocket would work) at night with 2 joey bunz and a microfiber towel around them.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:15 PM   #3
sheri_b
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yep, it's yellow but it's not really different than it has been since she started sippy cups. The dr isn't worried.

Absorbancy isn't really an issue, it's the ammonia on her bum that makes it raw that's the problem. I don't know what creates a better barrier than fleece, well 2 layers of fleece.

Thanks for your help.
sheri_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 05:42 PM   #4
Sweetforestcat
Registered Users
seller

Sounds like you may have build-up on your diapers or a sensitivity to the detergent you are using. Detergent sensitivity can be more apparent in an overnight diaper because they are saturated with urine which leaves ammonia and reacts with the detergent. We also, always use fleece liners overnight. I had to change my detergent to avoid this problem with DS!
Old 08-04-2006, 05:52 PM   #5
fouradss
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Could def. be buildup. It a lot of times is more noticable at a morning changing. I'm not sure how much she drinks, but I have noticed the more water my dd drinks the less potent her urine is. Just a thought.
fouradss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 06:38 PM   #6
SarahJane
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Are you using a wipe solution? I only ask because I was happily pouring it over my wipes and got a real build up on my inserts last week because I was washing them with my wipes. I'm only using it in a spray bottle now sparringly. I also use SEZ windpro fleece pockets and a SEZ insert for nights. We haven't had any rash yet. I'd second the build up thing because our guy is a serious heavy wetter and has really sensitive skin. I had problems with sposies which is how I made my way to cloth. Hope you can figure out something that works!
Old 08-04-2006, 07:05 PM   #7
TJgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have you tried using just one fleece liner? I wonder if using 2 makes it too thick for the pee to go through? Maybe try one fleece topped microfiber doubler?

Also could the smell just be on the diapers and coming out when they get wet? You could try a brand new diaper to see if that's the issue. If that's the case you will want to try a changeup in your washing routine.

If you can't get anything to work and you have to use dds at night, don't feel too bad, it's still great to use them the rest of the time.

Good luck!
Old 08-04-2006, 08:20 PM   #8
bgjmhg03
Registered Users
seller

It sounds like either detergent build-up or bacteria that isn't getting out of the dipes. I had the same problem and I stripped using a squirt of Dawn and then hot rinses until there were no more bubbles. I also used 1 tsp of bleach in a wash cycle recently. I know, bleach is a big no-no, but I was at the point where I had to weigh whether or not the yeasty looking rash and ammonia smell was worth still CD'ing. So I just used a little bit one time and did about 4 or 5 rinses. The ammonia smell and rash went away immediately.
bgjmhg03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 08:22 PM   #9
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

Our ammonia problem started with only Aydin's overnight diaper stinking to high heaven. Eventually, all his daytime diapers starting smelling, too, even after 1/2 an hour of wearing one. I ended up having to strip all the dipes and switching detergents, and adding Borax, too.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:37 PM   #10
ashleynjacy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow this sounds scary! SHould I not wash wipes with dipes if I make my own solution?!?!?!?
ashleynjacy is offline   Reply With Quote