Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-04-2006, 03:06 PM   #1
BeUTfulMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Please tell me I can do this!

OK, I'm due to have my first DC the end of October. We've decided to CD and use pockets (at least to start with). We put a bunch of FB on our baby registry and my Mom baought them for us. I was sooo excited to get them but now that I have them I've started to panic. What is I can't do it (cd I mean)? What if I can't figure it out? What if it's a lot harder than I thought? AHHH!!! Why am I soo freakin right now?!

Please let me it'll be alright. Sigh....

Advertisement

BeUTfulMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 03:13 PM   #2
ShannaMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Please tell me I can do this!

You'll be FINE! Seriously.

CDing is EASY! I look at it like rather than having to go to the store to shell out $15-30 for more Huggies, I just wash, stuff the pockets, and stack them in the basket and we're set for another 2-3 days. No sweat. And better for baby, my checking account, and the environment!

I used all disposables for my first DS, and have switched to all CDs for my second, and I LOVE it.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:14 PM   #3
ShannaMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Double post, oops!

Last edited by ShannaMarie; 08-04-2006 at 03:15 PM.
ShannaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 03:19 PM   #4
amandaleigh37
Registered Users
seller

hi! i'm also due at the end of October (26th) and this is my first child too. I know how you feel! It is overwhelming to figure out all of this stuff but I'm sure once we get started it will all work out... You can totally do this! Haha that's what I tell myself anyway =) Even though my family thinks I'm nuts and it's going to be soooo much work. But diapering a newborn is going to be an adjustment anyway, so why not do it this way and get all the benefits of usign cloth?

Don't stress out too much, I'm sure you'll be fine =)
amandaleigh37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 03:19 PM   #5
masonite
Whip Crackin Wagon Driver!
seller

My Mood:

I was SO excited about CDing. I poured and poured over the computer looking at every kind of diaper, studying up on EVERYTHING!

But, as soon as I bought some, I started to panic!! I kept thinking that I'd hate it, and it'd be hard, etc. etc.

After I put the first diaper on my son, I was already hooked! I can honestly say that since that first diaper, I haven't looked back! (I've sold, bought new, and sold again, and still haven't looked back, lol!)

I'm sure a lot of it has to do with stressing about anything and everything since you are pregnant.

Just remember, after you have your baby, if you come home from the hospital, and it all overwhelms you. That's okay. If you decide to put your baby in sposies for a few weeks, while you get everything else figured out--that's okay too!

You'll do great, I promise!!
Old 08-04-2006, 03:20 PM   #6
twinsmomkatie
Registered Users
seller

Anyone that can conceive and carry a child, kiss his boo-boos, snuggle him when he cries, and love him with all your heart can put a sweet little cloth diaper on him!

You CAN do it! And if you need to keep some sposies for the first couple of weeks, do it, and then get back into the cloth as soon as you can. It's a system, and it's not all-or-nothing.

You can do it, Mama!
Old 08-04-2006, 03:42 PM   #7
Teresa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You're going to be surprised at how easy CDing is. When I first switched my dd, she was 8 months. I just bought enough diapers to "try" CDing, and I bought the cheapest stuff I could find (Gerber prefolds, etc.). I got so frustrated with it, and wondered if I had wasted too much money. So I started trying a few different covers and stuff until I found some things I liked, and now I hate to put her in a sposie.

The laundry is really easy to do, and as a previous poster wrote, it's easier than going to the store to buy a pack of sposies.

Fuzzi Bunz are REALLY easy to use, so you should be in good shape there. One thing I will say, if you get tired of using cloth or you can't find time to do a load of laundry, don't feel bad about using a sposie until you have time to get your cloth together. It sort of takes a little time to get into the cloth routine, but once you do, you'll be hooked. And if you run into trouble, be sure to ask for help on this forum. These mommas are SO HELPFUL.

HTH.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:19 PM   #8
blondeviolin
Registered Users
seller
seller

I haven't read all the other replies, but I will tell you I had all the same worries. Just take the plunge. It's really not that hard and Fuzzi Bunz aren't difficult at all. In all reality, it's just laundry. You wash it and you don't even really have to fold 'em. Just make sure you have either sposies or some xsmall FBs because the smalls are barely starting to fit Abby now at 2 months. We started out with FBs and other pockets and now I'm venturing into prefolds. I like the idea of having prefolds and covers around because if she's got a rash and needs cream or needs her bum to breathe or if we have repelling issues on the pockets or if she's got icky poo or whatever, prefolds are versatile and easier to replace. AND you can lay one under them for changing table protection. I had one on Abby coverless last night so that her bum could some air/breathing time and The Husband actually was amazed by them...we now agree they're "vintage" cloth diapers. LOL Can you tell I'm enjoying it all? I'm almost about to venture into flats.

So you CAN do it. And you can ENJOY it. In fact, I said we'd do pockets and be done, but then the prefold bug bit me and I actually enjoy those too.

In the end, IT'S JUST LAUNDRY.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:23 PM   #9
twinsmomkatie
Registered Users
seller

For what it's worth, I did experience a "learning curve" when I first started cloth. But I got pooped on quite a bit with sposies, too! Keep at it, and you'll perfect your system, and you'll LOVE it.

The laundry is WAY easier than packing up 1 or more little ones to drive to the store for more dipes. I have done both, and I know!

Katie
Old 08-04-2006, 05:05 PM   #10
christiansmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Don't worry. I felt the same way. I have only been CD'ing for three weeks (I have foster babies) and have to tell you that I LOVE IT!!! I am using prefolds and covers with some AIO's and I just got my first pocket in the mail. I don't mind the laundry at all, love my babies in cloth and love that I don't have worry about running out of diapers and running to the store. I stressed over it in the beginning, too, but it is amazing how quickly you catch on. I hope you will enjoy it and remember, if you get stuck, there are so many helpful mamas here. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!