View Poll Results: Would you let your Dad watch you give birth?
Yes 49 27.53%
No 122 68.54%
Other....someone always picks other. 7 3.93%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-03-2007, 12:05 PM   #11
mengmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Would you ever let your Dad watch you give birth?

I am the other! Hehe...

With ds (hospital birth), we planned on my mom and MIL in the delivery room. Well, it was 4 in the morning, and my mom and dad were there, and mil and dh. It was pushing time, and I just couldn't make my dad go wait outside by himself. So he was there. It was nice, and out of everyone there besides dh, I liked him there the most. He kept quiet about things, and didn't hog my son after he was born. He also did a lot of post-birth recording since the gma's were too busy trying to bogart MY baby holding time. I think gpa's are a great option for that.

For dd, we planned (and got) a UC. My mom was in town, and my dad was coming soon. I prayed that I would deliver before my dad got there. For a variety of reasons, one being that I figured I'd be naked, and well, I like not thinking about my dad having to see my naked body, and two, I knew he wouldn't be keen on the UC, so it was just better that way.

For any future children, it will just be dh and I-and the kids if they are awake or aren't with my parents. My mom now thinks she has a right to be there, so I have to make sure she finds out she doesn't. The only people that have a right to be there are the people that created the baby imo.

Advertisement

Last edited by mengmommy; 12-03-2007 at 12:09 PM.
mengmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:05 PM   #12
hackermd
Registered Users
seller

When my mother gave birth to me, my father was the only one in the room to deliver me... when my sister gave birth he delivered her son, too and cut the cord because everyone was late including the dr!!
hackermd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:05 PM   #13
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

hey i don't think there's one thing wrong if the mom is comfortable with her dad being in there.

what is utterly weird is MY dad thinking i would let him in there. i have a really difficult time with birthing, AND we have a craptastic relationship.
Fither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:06 PM   #14
I Smile Because Of Them
Registered Users
seller

Location: I'm only passing through here as my real home is in Heaven!
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2mad View Post
if i can have my xh's new wife watch me deliver then i can handle my dad watching
my dad was there for my first baby, hated it at the time but was 16 and felt defenseless, now, its fine by me
WTH? I wanna know that story.

I would not let my dad be in the delivery room. It would be too weird for me and I don't think he would like to anyway. My mom was there holding on eof my legs while I pushed though.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:08 PM   #15
heluvsme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I voted other because my Dad would NEVER want to watch anyone give birth
Old 12-03-2007, 12:08 PM   #16
JeanieNGmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

nope. NO ONE is allowed to watch other than dh and the midwife and nurses. its a private time for me and i dont want the whole world to see it
Old 12-03-2007, 12:10 PM   #17
ashersmomoo
Registered Users
seller

If he was at my head then I'd be fine with that. But then, my dad's an ER nurse, sooo what HASN'T he seen, kwim? Plus I'm close to both of my parents. I actually wish he had been at my first birth. He arrived the next day (had to fly) and I think he would have been super helpful because our nurses were really mean (and our doctor lied, which he would have realized) and I think he would have kicked butt for me! Oh well, myabe this time!
DW to my BFF and DH! In SAHM heaven to my 3 perfect boys: Asher (9/2/05) , Oliver (2/24/08) , and Gabriel (3/30/12) Novice urban farmer, trying to feed my family on 1/3 acre! http://wildcardgardenbug.blogspot.com/
ashersmomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:12 PM   #18
AmyCivic80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dad was in the room when I delivered my daughter. I was sitting quietly off to the side where he couldn't see my "goods." He came over after I pushed my daughter out. Personally, I wouldn't have minded if he had been at the head of my bed with me, but he is a fairly private person and didn't feel comfortable doing that. He spent the whole time in my room while I was in labor (my husband and my mom were there too) and was going to leave when it was time to push. I thought it was ridiculous to make him leave. Now, I think he is really glad he stayed and was able to be such a big part of Cailin's birth.
Amy, wife to Greg and proud mommy to Cailin Avery (5/6/07), Kylie Elise (12/20/08), and baby #3 (due 10/11/11).
AmyCivic80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:13 PM   #19
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Um... no. That's kinda funky for ME. Other families it might be cool, I remember a mom on BabyCenter who's dad actually was involved in her birth plan and they'd fully planned on laboring at home as long as possible and her dad (who was a licensed physician) would check her at some point before going to L&D.... That kinda gave me the shivvers when I read it.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:15 PM   #20
naturalbirthmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would. We birth at home so having him (actually them I consider my step dad to be a "dad") there wouldn't be an issue. I don't think dh would allow it. He prefers to be alone so having my mom there is pushing it.
Autumn ~~ Haley 12, Haven 10, Paisley 7, Sterling 5, Camden 3, Finley 1*the bathroom baby* and #7 due August 2015
I have amazing eyelashes! Wanna know how?? www.beautifullyblessedlashes.com
naturalbirthmama is offline   Reply With Quote