Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-03-2007, 07:42 PM   #21
lindsayjean
Registered Users

Re: Ways to wash (to be pinned)

What soap do you use? Charlies or Generic Tide-like Free and Clear alternating depending on my mood lol
Do you add anything extra? Yes If so, what?nope
How many dipes do you wash at a time? 10-12 I'd say. We use a little bit of everything- pockets, fitteds, contours, and PFs. Wash them all together... no reason to make things complicated!

1. Cold/Cold wash. Sometimes I will let them soak in cold water for a couple of hours- maybe once a week
2. Hot/cold wash with 1 tiny scoop of Charlies (the little one that comes w/ it) or half scoop of free and clear
3. Warm/cold rinse with no detergent
4. Dry on medium. Most of the time I take the pockets and pul covers out to hang dry, but sometimes if I need the right away I dry them w/ everything else

Advertisement

ISO: newborn/small woolies- shorties and soakers
lindsayjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:33 PM   #22
carnalcindd
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Washing Machine: LG Tromm (Front Loader)
What soap do you use? Country Save
Do you add anything extra? If so, what? Spray poop diapers with diluted bac out when they go into the pail, add vinegar to the bleach dispenser, and a few drops of GSE to the fabric softener dispenser.
How many dipes do you wash at a time? about 20-25

Wash Routine
1. Cold/cold rinse/spin w/o spin, extra rinse, extra water
2. Baby wear cycle w/o spin, extra rinse, extra water
3. Speed wash (using no extras and extra high spin speed)

Drying Routine
1. 1hr. 25mins. dry cycle on medium
Old 12-03-2007, 09:02 PM   #23
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Washer? Roper Top Loader
What soap do you use? Dawn dishwashign detergent
Do you add anything extra? If so, what? tea tree oil in most washes. Once a month 2 capfuls of bleach to one wash, add extra rinse.
How many dipes do you wash at a time? 2-3 days worth of prefolds, which could be up to 25 diapers(plus about 12 preemie prefolds for doublers) and 4 dozen wipes(wipes are used for EVERYTHING in this house).

Now explain your wash routine line by line
1. cold wash with about 2 tbsp Dawn
2. hot wash with tea tree oil
3. once a month or so I do 2 capfuls of bleach in the wash to make sure everything is getting fully disinfected. I add the bleach and let the washer fill up all the way before adding diapers so that the bleach is diluted and nothing is damaged.
4. extra rinse. if this is the bleach wash that month I do 2 extra rinses to make sure all the bleach residue is gone.
5. hang to dry everything.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:07 PM   #24
kalynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Where do you get bac-out or bi-o-kleen?

What is stripping?
kalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:30 PM   #25
kitscha
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Washer: coin-op shared apartment top loader - soft water (yes, you can do this in a coin-op!)
Soap: 3 tablespoons washing soda, 5 squirts of Simple Green
Add anything extra? Nope!
Dipes at a time: two days worth, probably 20+

Washing routine:
** when baby was exclusively breastfed, I just put everything in the machine (didn't rinse them off beforehand) and did a hot wash/cold rinse with my washing soda/Simple Green recipe above - no soaking, no extra rinses - then one dryer cycle on hot
** now that baby is on solids, I hand rinse any really bad poopy diapers in cold water, throw them in the pail until laundry day, give those ones a quick spray of Baby OxiClean as they go into the machine - and then as above, hot wash/cold rinse with my detergent - no soaking, no extra rinses - one dryer cycle on hot

My own little soapbox:
I like to keep the laundry routine as simple as possible... This costs me $2.50 to wash/dry every two days... I don't do multiple extra rinses because a) it's too much hassle and b) it wastes water and c) it would cost too much using coin-op and d) I don't really think that detergent build-up is as big a problem as many cloth diaper websites claim ... and lastly, I firmly believe that any diaper stink should first be addressed by trying MORE detergent in your wash! If that doesn't work, move onto other options.
kitscha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:40 PM   #26
greenMImama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaTooters View Post

What soap do you use? Tide HE
Do you add anything extra? If so, what? No
How many dipes do you wash at a time? I have a large wetbag and when that s full, I wash, It is about 3 days worth usually

Example:
1. Cold rinse with no soap includes a prewash, like an extra rinse in the begining (full Cycle)
2. Warm wash with 1 oz. of Tide HE (full Cycle)
3. Cold Rinse (full Cycle)
I have a Very energy efficient washing machine, a Staber made in the USA, and becasue it uses such little water that is why I do so many loads, it works, I have done a lot of experimenting, and this is what works. In the begining when he was just EBF I would do one full cycle on cold with a .5 oz. of Tide HE and that worked great.
I hope this helps someone.

240/2014
greenMImama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:47 PM   #27
Mom2EandA
Registered Users

My Mood:

Washer: Kenmore Elite HEt3

Soap: Tide F&C to almost the 1 line (I have heard Country Save will work, but I am skeptical of anything but Tide after having poor results with detergents that say they are 'HE *compatible*')

Load size: Large, As many diapers as 2 kids go through in 2 days.

(Dry pail, spray off poo and night dipes, no lid - if that counts as 'extras')

I SORT
(This keeps lint of my fleece pockets and lets me modify the water temperature and number of rinses)

Load One:
Synthetics - Pockets (sometimes I turn them inside out), soiled pul covers, liners, wetbags, fleece jammies, yucky kiddo clothes to beef up the load size if needed go in.

I program in pre-wash + normal on hot + 2nd rinse extra low or no spin. When it beeps I select rinse drain spin + 2nd rinse and medium spin. This triple rinses the poly stuff that likes to hang unto detergent. Hang or dry on low for half a cycle.

Load Two:
Prefolds, flats, soakers etc (cotton, hemp and blends)
'My cycle' prewash +sanitary cycle + 2nd rinse and high spin. Occasionally I add an extra rinse cycle. All into the dryer on low.

ETA: I use mostly prefolds, flats and a few fitted and pockets so they are maybe 5-6 pockets max in a load. No Microfiber!

Hyena Cart: http://www.fiteworthycreations.com

Last edited by Mom2EandA; 12-03-2007 at 09:53 PM.
Mom2EandA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:33 AM   #28
Flufflove
Registered Users
seller

What soap do you use? Gain HE
Do you add anything extra? NO
How many dipes do you wash at a time? 24-30

I have a front loader.
Cold short wash with no detergent
Hot heavy wash with the recommended amount of detergent, or a little less
Extra cold rinse
Dry in the dryer on hot, or dry in the dryer on air fluff for 10 minutes and then hang to dry outside
Flufflove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:07 AM   #29
danish1978
Registered Users

My Mood:

I use either Target brand stuff or Penguin wash, I tend to alternate.

I do a cold wash with a little baking soda
Hot wash/rinse with detergant
2nd rinse on hot
3rd rinse on cold

I wash everything together, and it's working great so far!
danish1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:45 AM   #30
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

I've been using cloth diapers for almost 2 years, and while my detergents have changed, my routine has not. My dipes are clean and stink free.

What soap do you use? Dawn Dish Soap or Country Save
Do you add anything extra? If so, what? I will add BacOut to my pre-rinse if I have a lot of poopy diapers, or yucky diapers from sick kiddos
How many dipes do you wash at a time? Never counted, but it's a super load every other day, I have 2 in cloth.

The first thing I do is turn my water heater up as hot as it will go.

1. Cold Rinse. I will add BacOut if there are a lot of poopy diapers (more than 2) or if they are messy diapers from illness.

2. Cold long wash with 1/2 tbsp Dawn Ultra or 1/2 scoop Country Save powder.

3. Hot short wash with nothing.

4. Cold Rinse with nothing.

5. Everything goes in the dryer on M heat for 100 minutes (as long as my dryer can go.)

6. Turn the water heater back down so nobody gets burned.
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote