Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-03-2007, 02:13 PM   #1
MommytoJandS
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
More sleep issues....

How am I going to do this???

Johnathan is 13 months old and still doesn't sleep through the night, he sleeps with us because he screams non-stop if I put him in his bed (which is still the Pack N Play in our bedroom). He absolutely hates his crib, will have nothing to do with it. And I can't let him CIO, it makes me cry, I just can't do it.

So how am I going to manage two of them at night? I'm due in 7.5 weeks, which means I'll probably be getting up every hour to two hours with the new baby, in addition to Johnathan waking up all the time. My husband seems to be of no help, even laying right next to Johnathan he can't seem to manage to give him his paci.

Does anyone else have babies this close together that have dealt with this sleep issue?

I guess at this point it seems like my only options are to either keep letting Johnathan sleep with us, and the new baby is going to have to sleep in the crib (which seems mean to me...), or I'm going to somehow have to get Johnathan to sleep in his own room, which also just seems mean since I know how heartbroken he looks every time I have tried to put him in the crib in his own room.

Advertisement

MommytoJandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:52 PM   #2
Sirion
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: More sleep issues....

Can you put a mattress on the floor in his room and let DH and your son sleep in there? I know you said your DH was no help, but you might need to ask him to step up to the plate. It would be better to start this before the new baby came so DS doesn't feel abandoned. Will DS go to sleep with DH?
Old 12-03-2007, 04:30 PM   #3
MommytoJandS
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirion View Post
Can you put a mattress on the floor in his room and let DH and your son sleep in there? I know you said your DH was no help, but you might need to ask him to step up to the plate. It would be better to start this before the new baby came so DS doesn't feel abandoned. Will DS go to sleep with DH?
Not usually, that's another problem. He will lay down for naps during the day just fine, they are not long naps, but my husband or I can lay him down in the Pack N Play and he'll usually go right to sleep. But at night time, he will only sleep in our bed, and will only go to sleep if I go in and lay with him. If daddy tries he just screams and screams until I come in
MommytoJandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:57 PM   #4
SarahJane
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mama. I don't have two that close together, but I thought I'd offer the idea of trying to get your son to attach to something that smells like you. For now since he likes his pack n play, put the item in there. Then try moving it to his crib. I made a small pillow for our son around your son's age, I slept with the cover on top of my pillow for a couple of nights. I made a big deal about his big boy pillow. He slept great with it after that. Until the big boy bed.... but that is another story. I've read that naps are the most important thing to resolve with sleep issues. Have you read "Healthy Sleep Happy Child"? I really have learned so much from that book. I didn't have it with our oldest and can say I've opened it many times this go around. Best of luck with your little baby!

Sarah
Old 12-03-2007, 05:51 PM   #5
Sirion
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathan'sMommy View Post
Not usually, that's another problem. He will lay down for naps during the day just fine, they are not long naps, but my husband or I can lay him down in the Pack N Play and he'll usually go right to sleep. But at night time, he will only sleep in our bed, and will only go to sleep if I go in and lay with him. If daddy tries he just screams and screams until I come in
I'm in the camp that it isn't CIO if mommy OR daddy is there with the child, comforting him as needed. It's alright if he isn't comforted immediately, but the fact is that someone is there with him who loves him and is caring for him. If you DH is willing to listen to DS cry (which is obviously really hard to do), I might suggest trying to have DH put DS down at night (lay with him until asleep, or all night long). You really will need some help when your second baby comes along and it might be good to work on developing strategies now that you can use to get some rest and some time with the new baby.

Hugs, mama, this is really tough!
Old 12-04-2007, 08:56 AM   #6
S Starr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahJane View Post
:Have you read "Healthy Sleep Happy Child"? I really have learned so much from that book.
Ditto! And I also agree with the poster who said if the parent is comforting the child, it's not harmful to let them cry. (That said, I did let mine cry, as long as she was mad or irritated as opposed to really unhappy.) Good luck!
Old 12-04-2007, 10:19 AM   #7
Jewelgurl137
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hey girl. You know that I have the same problem with Tommy. I finally got him to sleep in his own crib in our room (after nursing to sleep), but he gets up between 2-4 times a night still to nurse and not even a paci will calm him down.

I hope you figure out something. I don't know what to tell you. My recommendation is definitely to try to get him into his own room before the baby comes, but I know that is hard. Since he might feel "replaced" if you put baby in your room after putting him into his room though, I definitely think that if you have 3 bedrooms that you should put the baby in another bedroom too. This might keep this problem from happening again.