Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-05-2007, 07:31 AM   #1
statikradio
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I think DD has roseola. Bleh.

Well, dd had a 102.6 fever on Sunday....probably had it on SAturday too, I just didn't take her temp then.
She was 101 something on Monday and down to 100.6 on Tuesday.....and lower and lower and this morning hte fever broke.

She didn't really have any other symptoms like nose or throat problems - no cough or anything....she was just irritable and didn't have much appetite....but she drank a lot of fluids.

After searching around on the internet I found some literature on roseola, which is caused by a type of Herpes virus. Symptoms include a few days of high fever, no other sy mptoms, irritability, loss of appetite, followed by a rash on the trunk and neck, sometimes face - and I thought well, these fit the case for sure! I just have to wait to see if she gets a rash. Well, her fever broke overnight and she feels normal temperature and sure enough she has a rash ALL OVER her tummy, back and even some along her hairline around her ears and forehead.

So I'm convinced that's what she has...also I'd like to point out that she did get Herpes Simplex last month from me thanks to my stupid cold sore. So she got a cold sore too and got fever, etc....I took her to the doc that time and they told me when you first contract HS you get fever and generally don't feel well, runny nose, etc.

So since roseola is caused by a type of Herpes, I'm guessing this was just phase 2 of her HS last month and got this roseola mess because nobody else is sick. Good news is after the rash appears, she is no longer contageous and is now immune for life.

And just an FYI - 95% of the population has Herpes Simplex - if you've ever had a cold sore, then you have it too. It just sounds worse than it is LOL

Advertisement

** Mom of two **
statikradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:35 AM   #2
statikradio
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I think DD has roseola. Bleh.

Also, just to spread the word - this illness is common in babies 6mo to 3yrs - I've heard that many times people take their kids in for fever and are misdiagnosed with some sinus infection or whatever, then then after a few days when the tell-tale rash appears the doc then mistakenly believes the child is having an allergic reaction to the antibiotics.....which is why I am careful about rushing to the doc all the time! Antibiotics aren't always necessary - they don't cure virus, only bacterial infections. If it is a virus, it just has to run its course.

I'm sure many of you mommies know this already.....I just felt like sharing just in case someone didn't know about it.

** Mom of two **
statikradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:38 AM   #3
luv2recycle
Banned

My Mood:

BUMMER!!! I hope she is feeling better soon

My niece had this when she was a babe and my sis got her this funny spotted onesie...lol...she looked so stinkin cute
luv2recycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:40 AM   #4
VinhThiMom
Vinh Thi Designs
Formerly: chrisnsteph1022
seller
seller

My Mood:

Dylan had a fever rash, but I'm not sure it was roseola. They called it a fever rash. His fever was caused by pneumonia and strep (which also caused a febrile seizure), then once the fever broke, he got a rash. Apparently, it's pretty common with high fevers, too.

Here's a picture of his rash:

VinhThiMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:42 AM   #5
Knittress
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My ds got it from daycare when he was 15 months old. He had Hand, Foot, and Mouth, and then 2 weeks later, he had roseola. Poor kiddo.

Though... it's NOT caused by HSV-2, so try not to beat yourself up over that.

Quote:
Two common and closely related viruses can cause roseola: human herpesvirus (HHV) type 6 and possibly type 7. These two viruses belong to the same family as the better-known herpes simplex viruses (HSV), but HHV-6 and HHV-7 do not cause the cold sores and genital herpes infections that HSV can cause.
She could have contracted it from the grocery store or anywhere else in public.

Quote:
Contagiousness
Roseola is contagious and spreads through tiny drops of fluid from the nose and throat of infected people. These drops are expelled when the infected person talks, laughs, sneezes, or coughs. Then if other people breathe the drops in or touch them and then touch their own noses or mouths, they can become infected as well.

The viruses that cause roseola do not appear to be spread by kids while they are exhibiting symptoms of the illness. Instead, someone who has not yet developed symptoms often spreads the infection.
Info from here:

http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/inf...l/roseola.html

The good news is... once the fever breaks and the rash appear, they're no longer contagious. My little guy was back to normal by about 12-15 hours post rash break out. It can take up to a few days though.

Laura who's loving life
Dyeing/Knitting WAHM
Knittress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:43 AM   #6
luv2recycle
Banned

My Mood:

Looks like Dylan had scarlet fever...that is never fun
luv2recycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:52 AM   #7
IslandHippie
Registered Users

My Mood:

My son had this about a month ago. It was definitely interesting. He had a really high fever (up to 103.5) at some points, but the acetaminophen was bringing it down, so we didn't bring him to the doctor. I mean, why would we? It was obviously viral, and the meds we had at home were working, so what's the point of going to the doctor to be told to do exactly what I was doing already?

I'm definitely with you on people 'overusing' doctors to some extent. We've got mommy instincts, we can trust them! If a kid is drinking (breastmilk especially), and the fever is controlled by meds, it's really not a bad idea to treat at home. That's what any nurses' line will tell you!

But yeah. My son broke out the day after his fever cleared. It was weird, but didn't seem to bug him at all. I *did* have his ped check it out, but just to confirm what I'd 'self-diagnosed.'

I was, however, tempted to play connect the dots on his tummy.

~Kay

Last edited by IslandHippie; 12-05-2007 at 07:53 AM.
IslandHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:16 AM   #8
VinhThiMom
Vinh Thi Designs
Formerly: chrisnsteph1022
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sorry for the hijack-

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2recycle View Post
Looks like Dylan had scarlet fever...that is never fun
Yeah, that was one of our concerns, but the doc didn't even want to see him. After being in the ER with a seizure, 105 fever, pneumonia and strep, he said it had a be a fever rash. It went away within a couple days. But he's had strep 3 more times since then (4 times in 3 months) and we went to an ENT yesterday who said that's extremely rare for a baby that age to even get strep, much less 4 times. He's on 20 days of antibiotics, then if he gets again, we have to have his tonsils removed.

VinhThiMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:28 AM   #9
mom2mybumpy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My older 2 both had roseola and their fevers hit 104.7 at the highest. Needless to say it was terrifying for the first one, but by the second one you know what you're dealing with. The third hasn't had it yet. But no one in our family has cold sores, so I think pp are correct that you can get it anywhere, don't blame yourself.

Our rash looked like thousands of little red pin dots and felt a little like fine sandpaper. But none of my kids have ever been more irritable than they were when they had roseola. Screaming fits and the like, which we don't normally have. They must feel absolutely miserable. I'm glad your LO is now on the mend.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:29 AM   #10
mom2mybumpy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnsteph1022 View Post
Sorry for the hijack-

Yeah, that was one of our concerns, but the doc didn't even want to see him. After being in the ER with a seizure, 105 fever, pneumonia and strep, he said it had a be a fever rash. It went away within a couple days. But he's had strep 3 more times since then (4 times in 3 months) and we went to an ENT yesterday who said that's extremely rare for a baby that age to even get strep, much less 4 times. He's on 20 days of antibiotics, then if he gets again, we have to have his tonsils removed.