Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-01-2006, 11:51 PM   #1
Elphaba71
Registered Users
seller

Care of fleece pockets?

Do you care for fleece (outer) pockets any differently than you do pul? Is the initial "prep" any different (just one normal CD wash)? Can you or should you dry them occasionally?

On another tangent of fleece, do you expect them to feel damp quickly? How long should it take for "compression wicking" to develop? Does it happen when baby is lying down?

TIA!

Advertisement

Mom to Griffin - 2/5/06, and Rhiannon 12/23/07
Elphaba71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 08:33 AM   #2
raceNzanesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Care of fleece pockets?

I wash once prior to use. I usually wash all my fleece either by themselves or with sheets or something. My prefolds and white washcloths pill on them otherwise. If you want to wash with everything else you can. I just think they stay nice looking longer if they don't get all fuzzy. I dry mine everytime- I dry almost everything including PUL. I don't think it would "need" dried. I have lightweight Windpro that ds wears over night. If the insert is soaked I can get compression leaks if he sits on my leg for an extended period of time- like if he's cranky when he wakes and wants my lap instead of changing. I don't think they'd wick during the day unless, again, the insert was soaked. If the insert isn't dripping I've never had any compression leaks. I've never had any leaking when he's sleeping- only if he's sitting on something firm, like my thigh. I use Snap-EZ, Baby Soft Wraps and one Apron Strings. LOVE my Snap-EZs. The others are ok too- just prefer the SEZ fit.

HTH.

CPS Tech to all- Need car seat/booster help? EMAIL me.
raceNzanesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 09:35 AM   #3
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

i think the quality of the insert is more important in a fleece pocket than in a pul. i've had a lot of trouble with figuring out a good insert for my sez fleece pockets. the ones i have work fine in my pul pockets but i'm not sure if they're not absorbent enough or if they just don't fit the sez right. so i've had problems with compression leaks...which is weird b/c i have a fleece ai2 that never gives me trouble and i love fleece covers/shorts over fitteds - again w/ no problems.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:47 AM   #4
MamaZ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree, the insert is important in fleece pockets and covers Whatever you do, don't do what I did by accident...I washed a fleece pocket with a cpf! I have a fuzzy cover now My cpfs are still really pilly since they are new but it was kind of funny to pull that fuzzy magnet out of the dryer
MamaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:29 AM   #5
ktoone
Registered Users
seller

Hmmm... interesting. I've had some wicking with my fleece pockets. I do love them, particularly bc they seem so much more breathable than PUL, and my DD has had much less trouble with diaper rash since we started using them. But she is a SUPERSOAKER, and the usual insert I for a PUL pocket - trifold microfiber and one layer of hemp - often leaves us with a slightly damp fleece pocket. Sounnds like I'll have to try stuffing with something else.

Any other suggestions? what I'm doing already is getting bulky!
ktoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:37 AM   #6
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktoone
Hmmm... interesting. I've had some wicking with my fleece pockets. I do love them, particularly bc they seem so much more breathable than PUL, and my DD has had much less trouble with diaper rash since we started using them. But she is a SUPERSOAKER, and the usual insert I for a PUL pocket - trifold microfiber and one layer of hemp - often leaves us with a slightly damp fleece pocket. Sounnds like I'll have to try stuffing with something else.

Any other suggestions? what I'm doing already is getting bulky!
well when i contacted ruth at sez about my fleece pocket problem she suggested that having an insert that can really trap the moisture is important to keep it from compressing. i was wrapping a 6 layer hemp insert in a microfiber towel - she said maybe not having the microfiber on top would help. the other issue i was having is that it seemed to leak around the insert if the insert was wide enough to really fill the pocket.