Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-05-2006, 10:42 AM   #1
mrsott
Registered Users

My Mood:
I'm about to make these...

but I am going to half the ingredients... I definately do NOT need 6 dozen cookies laying around my house, though I have heard some people freeze the batter...anyone made these? I bough brewers yeast and tried it in juice the other day thought I would die... off to bake!

Housepoet's Famous Lactation Boosting Oatmeal, Chocolate Chip & Flaxseed cookies
Ingredients :

* 1 cup butter or marg
* 1 cup sugar
* 1 cup brown sugar
* 4 tablespoons water
* 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal*
* 2 large eggs
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 2 cups flour
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 3 cups oats, thick cut if you can get them
* 1 cup or more chocolate chips
* 2 tablespoons of brewers yeast* (be generous)

Directions:

Preheat oven at 375 degrees F. Mix together 2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal and water, set aside for 3-5 minutes. Cream (beat well) margarine and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, mix well. Stir flaxseed mixture and add with vanilla to the margarine mix. Beat until blended. Sift together dry ingredients, except oats and chips. Add to margarine mixture. Stir in oats then chips. Scoop or drop onto baking sheet, preferably lined with parchment or silpat. The dough is a little crumbly, so it helps to use a scoop.

Bake 8-12 minutes, depending on size of cookies.

Serves: 6 dozen cookies

Preparation time: 15 minutes

*can be found at any local health food store.
*NOTE* IT MUST BE BREWERS YEAST, NO SUBSTITUTIONS.

I made these for a friend who's having supply issues and they were so flippin' good. You can feel yourself lactating as you nibble on them. If you don't like chocolate, who doesn't like chocolate tho, you can substitute for carob chips, raisins, butterscotch chips, whatever.

Reprinted with permission

Noel Pickett
noel@breastfeedingisnormal.org
http://breastfeedingisnormal.org

Advertisement

mrsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 11:01 AM   #2
amhmtq
Registered Users

Re: I'm about to make these...

Ooh, I'm totally going to the HFS tomorrow to get the ingredients. I need to pump 120 extra ounces in the next few days because I'm leaving the kids with my mom for the first time to go to a wedding out of state. It's for less than 48 hours, but I want to be sure she has plenty of milk. And, of course, I can always use an excuse to eat cookies...but I'm lactating, honey!
Old 08-06-2006, 11:34 AM   #3
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

I haven't tried them yet, but heard on another forum that they are really yummy (same recipe I think). Anyway, I can't see why you couldn't freeze the batter or some of the baked cookies. Should still be good either way.
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 11:38 AM   #4
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

Do you know what is the magic ingredient that is supposed to help w/ lactating anyway? Is it the brewers yeast or the flaxseed, or a combo? Just curious, I have has supply issues in the past so I am wondering w/ a new baby on the way.
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 10:12 PM   #5
amhmtq
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesmom23girls
Do you know what is the magic ingredient that is supposed to help w/ lactating anyway? Is it the brewers yeast or the flaxseed, or a combo? Just curious, I have has supply issues in the past so I am wondering w/ a new baby on the way.
I've never heard of the flaxseed helping, but I'm guessing that's why it's in there. Oatmeal and brewer's yeast both are supposedly galactalogues (a substance that stimulates milk production.

Just checked...kellymom says flaxseed oil is a source of essential fatty acids and can just help with missing nutrients in a mom's diet. Not a true galactalogue. Couldn't hurt, though.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:29 AM   #6
SewWhatMama
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Anybody try these yet? I am curious first if they work, second if they are tasty. I don't need help with supply, but this would be a great gift for a new mommy I know struggling with breast feeding.
SewWhatMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:50 AM   #7
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow. I have major supply issues and have tried everything, so I doubt they would help much. But they definitely sound yummy, and it's a good excuse to eat some cookies! lol. Only problem is I don't have enough cookie sheets to make even 3 dozen cookies! lol But I just bought flaxseed to make something else, so the only ingredient I'm missing is the brewers yeast. I just might have to get some of that today while I'm shopping...
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 10:41 AM   #8
mmskids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd bake and then freeze. I make oatmeal raisin to help boost and I just freeze them into daily portions and take a bag with me to work. I may have to get the other stuff and make these up next batch.
mmskids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 01:05 PM   #9
8blessings
Registered Users

My Mood:

oh I have made these before!
But they were called something different- like a "cowboy" cookie or something, it was from a natural cookbook... I added some of my own ingedients as well like wheat germ and oat bran.
You will need a very large glass milk or water to go with them,lol.
very filling.
Theres also a weight loss cookie that resembles it.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:31 PM   #10
mrsott
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amhmtq
I've never heard of the flaxseed helping, but I'm guessing that's why it's in there. Oatmeal and brewer's yeast both are supposedly galactalogues (a substance that stimulates milk production.

Just checked...kellymom says flaxseed oil is a source of essential fatty acids and can just help with missing nutrients in a mom's diet. Not a true galactalogue. Couldn't hurt, though.

I think the flaxseed is to add some extra protein and omegas. I made them and I think I got the wrong oats... I cut steel cut oats and they were hard kind of.... I think I need regular rolled oats..is that right?? They tasted super yum, just very chewy/crunchy b/c of the oats. DH loved them and I really do think it helped supply.
mrsott is offline   Reply With Quote