Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-06-2007, 08:53 PM   #1
bunintheoven0619
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy Just about to throw in the towel, can you help?

Ok well, I nursed ds when he was born but we had trouble and no LC, the hospital wasn't helpful, blah blah blah. So at 2 - 2.5 months I gave in to formula feeding. I did however, secretly manually express milk every night in the shower so I wouldn't dry up. Dh wanted me to stop torturing myself so I didn't tell him. Then around 4 months, I got tired of trying to hide it from DH and quit manually expressing at night. Well I was okay for about a month and then I just decided that I really wanted to go back to BF. So I paid for a LC and a Medela Swing pump that they recommened. I got some Domperidone from someone on here to get things going again. Here is the problem, I get milk when I manually express but nothing when I pump. The LC gave me an SNS to use so that ds wouldn't get frustrated but its really awkward to use and I get nervous/stressed and ds knows it.

The thing is we have run into really tough times financially since my other son (2 yrs old) was diagnosed with SPD/ASD, possible seizures, etc. DH isn't supportive of me BF and wants me to sell my pump for $$. He says it isn't working anyway and that I shouldn't have to take drugs to get my supply back, ds does fine on forumula, yadda yadda yadda.

I need some advice on what to do. I know my supply is really low but is there hope to get it back or should I listen to dh and just give up?

Thanks
Jessica

Advertisement

ISO: SKC (Spooky Kitty Collective) fitteds and WWB (Wiggle Worm Bottoms) covers!!!
bunintheoven0619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:00 PM   #2
courtney_adkins05
Registered Users
seller

Re: Just about to throw in the towel, can you help?

dont give up, its hard at 1st especially with no support. its a supply / demand thing. the more you nurse/pump the more you make...it just takes a few days to adjust...keep it up mama! my dd1 has seizures too...it sucks...but shes still nursing as is the baby it can be done
courtney_adkins05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:04 PM   #3
jessica_s
Registered Users

My Mood:

Dont give up mama there is hope!

As for the $$ thing with your DH - pumps are not like diapers where you can sell them back and make up some of your money. It's widely discouraged to use anyone else's pump (especially a strangers) so you can burst his bubble on that one. What about the cost of forumla!? Even if you get WIC mom's have had problems getting enough and buying out of pocket. Not to mention a increased chance in more doctor vists and bills from that.
Do you have a Le Leache League leader in your area? http://www.llli.org/WebUS.html
I'd call (even if you dont have one, there is an 800# to call) and see about a course to help you relactate to a full supply. Since you did breastfeed for a time, and you were hand expressing, you have a good shot at getting 100% back.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:08 PM   #4
babybluebird
Registered Users
Formerly: happyhaneys
seller

My Mood:

I am so proud of you mama!!!! You obviously really want to do this, against all odds...and I say DON'T GIVE UP! I totally caved this time with #2 and wish I hadn't! It's such a special thing and you can't get it back.

So, it sounds like you've found some support from an LC and did you contact anyone from LLL? (La Leche League) They are AWESOME! I just emailed back and forth with someone from my local area and sooo many helpful words of wisdom and support there.

Anyhoo, good luck mama and try not to get down about it! It's a beautiful gift for you and your baby and don't let anything keep you both from sharing that!!
Old 12-06-2007, 09:10 PM   #5
jessica_s
Registered Users

My Mood:

PS - Le Leache League info and help is free
Old 12-06-2007, 09:18 PM   #6
bunintheoven0619
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Thank you all so much. I just need some support. I have so many people telling me I can't do it that I want someone to tell me I can. I desperately want this to work. I love bf and its such a natural thing for me. I tried to tell dh that breastpumps weren't like diapers and apparently he did his own research and said that as long as you replace the tubing or sterilize it then people buy them used. I basically told dh where he could stick it.

I'm going to find a LLL person right now.

Thanks
Jessica

ISO: SKC (Spooky Kitty Collective) fitteds and WWB (Wiggle Worm Bottoms) covers!!!
bunintheoven0619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:19 PM   #7
Monzie
Registered Users

Stress and anxiety can keep you from letting down when you pump. And it can be so hard to relax when you're hooked up to a machine. I know, I haven't had much luck with the pump and I have a HUGE supply. I've found that I can only pump if my baby is in the room with me so I can look at him and talk with him and feel that "motherly" thing that makes my milk let down. Without that, I could be hooked up to the pump for an hour and get nothing.

So, if you can snuggle your little one and try to relax before you pump, maybe you'll have more luck. Otherwise, take a warm shower and manually express a bit before you start pumping, just to get things going.

Good luck, momma. We're rooting for you!
Monzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:36 PM   #8
tarah1218
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monzie View Post
Stress and anxiety can keep you from letting down when you pump. And it can be so hard to relax when you're hooked up to a machine. I know, I haven't had much luck with the pump and I have a HUGE supply. I've found that I can only pump if my baby is in the room with me so I can look at him and talk with him and feel that "motherly" thing that makes my milk let down. Without that, I could be hooked up to the pump for an hour and get nothing.

So, if you can snuggle your little one and try to relax before you pump, maybe you'll have more luck. Otherwise, take a warm shower and manually express a bit before you start pumping, just to get things going.

Good luck, momma. We're rooting for you!

Having the baby in the room with you really does help a lot. I really hope it works out for you. I know how it feels to want to nurse so badly but nobody supports you and thinks you should just stick with formula and give it up. You are doing what is best for your baby and you obviously really want/need that bonding with your baby.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:08 PM   #9
mayrain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

just wanted to say good luck mama and don't give up...
i think it is awesome that you are trying so hard to do this for your babe
Old 12-07-2007, 02:27 AM   #10
lulusmom
Keepin' it Crunchy!
seller

My Mood:

Your breasts produce future milk based on how much your lo is nursing currently. So keep that baby at the breastaurant to put his order in! Seriously, let him suckle all the time, as much as he will. To keep him from getting cranky you can feed formula but be sure to put him to the breast after he's done eating. The more he nurses, the more your body will kick into gear and make milk.

eta: If you need money, selling your pump off is like roasting the chicken you get eggs from. You may get some cash now, but all that formula really adds up!

Helen-Natural birthing, extended bf'ing, cosleeping, non-vaxxin' mama to Holly Lu 8/18/07

Last edited by lulusmom; 12-07-2007 at 02:29 AM.
lulusmom is offline   Reply With Quote