Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-08-2007, 11:03 AM   #11
kattayanna_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: No Vitamin D?

Moms of breastfeeding LO can up her intake of iron and Vit. D.

Advertisement

Old 12-09-2007, 01:55 AM   #12
brighteyes mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't do it. like other mamas have said, breastmilk is the perfect food for your lo. You both should be fine. Go outside normally- because you need to anyways (if for your sanity than any other reason).
Old 12-09-2007, 10:21 AM   #13
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calideedle View Post
Never gave vitamins or anything. Let her play by a sunny window or take her in the front/back yard for a few mins everyday - that should be fine!
I agree w/ this. According to LLL, 20 minutes per day in front of a sunny window is sufficient. I never gave any artificial supplements to either of my kids (Michigan in the winter isn't terribly sunny either!) and neither one got rickets!!!
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 10:49 AM   #14
nadjarea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMKelley View Post
I would strongly advise against it. That Poly-vi-sol stuff smells like crap and probably tastes just as bad. It also causes gas/constipation.

Give Baby some time out in the sun (or have play time near a sunny window) and that should help if she has any Vitamin D deficiency.
I agree, although I think it's better to just go outside for a few minutes everyday and soak up some rays.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:00 AM   #15
ForCryingOutLoud
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My ped told me to give my LO vitamin D, but I am not going to do it. I looked at the research and you know how rare it is to get rickets? I mean I think you would have to be locked in a closet to get it. I take my LO outside for 5 minutes at least each day.

Last edited by ForCryingOutLoud; 12-09-2007 at 11:23 AM.
ForCryingOutLoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:12 AM   #16
niece
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm bfing DS#3 and at no time have a DR, or LC ever suggested supplementing w/ vit D. This the first I've heard about it. Seems to me that if mom is eating right and taking her vit. that the vit D in her body will transfer to the breat milk then to baby. Why give something that you don't have to.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:03 PM   #17
armywife2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

my ped said to do it too, but we're not giving the vitamins... the ones the pharmac gave us were multi's anyway, and the babe doesnt need all of that

Want to earn gift cards searching the net? Click HERE to join Swagbucks!
armywife2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 04:39 PM   #18
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickieboggs View Post
I give my baby D vi sol and it is only a d supplement and it smells like candy and my son takes it no problem and has no constipation problems......my midwives told me it's important to start baby on the vit.d immediatley.

No flames please!!

I had both the pediatrician and the lactation consultatant and a nutritionist(sp) all tell me to do it. I figured if they all went out of the way to tell me this it must be at least important enough to think about it. It is a vitamin. I don't see a conspiracy theory here and if everyone that is medically trained and recommends it thinks it is a good idea I have no problem spending a couple extra bucks. But I take vitamins myself - extra folic right now because I am pregnant. I could probably get enough through my diet, but why worry when I can be sure and take the vitamin everyday.

So I gave him the vitamin - he really dug the taste - no issues with gas.

Last edited by fish3737; 12-09-2007 at 04:42 PM.
fish3737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 05:02 PM   #19
kattayanna_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish3737 View Post
No flames please!!

I had both the pediatrician and the lactation consultatant and a nutritionist(sp) all tell me to do it. I figured if they all went out of the way to tell me this it must be at least important enough to think about it. It is a vitamin. I don't see a conspiracy theory here and if everyone that is medically trained and recommends it thinks it is a good idea I have no problem spending a couple extra bucks. But I take vitamins myself - extra folic right now because I am pregnant. I could probably get enough through my diet, but why worry when I can be sure and take the vitamin everyday.

So I gave him the vitamin - he really dug the taste - no issues with gas.
So if all those medical professional told you there was not nutritional value to BFing past 6 mths or 1 yr would you believe them and stop BFing? because many medical professionals do believe this.
Most peds sadly are not informed or up to date on BFing.
Also too many nurses try to pass themselves off as LCs when the are not International Board Certified lactation consultants.
I'm not saying that the LC you are taking about isn't a real LC but that too many are not.

Last edited by kattayanna_mom; 12-09-2007 at 05:07 PM.
kattayanna_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 05:04 PM   #20
mama2bay1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It was to my understanding that 1) vitamin D was not transferable through breastmilk and 2) It is not possible to asorb vitmain D through a window

Is that incorrect?
mama2bay1 is offline   Reply With Quote