Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-08-2007, 11:09 PM   #1
MommaTooters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Somethings gotta give-sleeping problems! help!!

I'm at my wits end here. My son (8 1/2 months) just will not go to bed before 11:30pm these days. He was doing great going to sleep around 8:30-9 for a while then this! And he still gets up 6:30ish.

I have tried everything *I* can think of and it's not working. We started off co-sleeping then we did the sidecar thing. Once he was sleeping good there we put him in his room in the crib. Worked great for three weeks. Now it's back to co-sleeping. While sometimes I don't mind it, I would like to be able to roll about freelt in my own bed without having a very wiggly baby stick his toes up my nose!

We have issues with naps too, they don't happen unless we are in the car, he's in the stroller or in a carrier. Where in the world do I put him for a nap when he co-sleeps and his crib is missing a siderail?! No matter what time or how long (or short) his nap(s) are he still doesn't go to bed until after 11pm.

HELP!

Advertisement

Last edited by MommaTooters; 12-09-2007 at 09:23 AM.
MommaTooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:23 AM   #2
MommaTooters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Somethings gotta give-sleeping problems! help!!

ANYBODY?
MommaTooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:40 AM   #3
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

it sounds like he could be overtired, which i know doesn't help you at all!! i didn't look and see if you have any other little ones at home with you- but if you don't, is there any way you could lay down with him while he is sleeping? just to get him caught up, so to speak, on his sleep? once he starts gettting more and better sleep during the day, he should start going to bed earlier at night.

another thought- have you tried putting him back down within 1-1.5 hours of him getting up? at that age i imagine he is still taking 2 naps at least, and that first one is typically within 2 hours of waking.

have you read any sleep books? like the no cry sleep solution? i haven't read all of it, and its been a while since then, but i do know there are a bunch of tips and suggestions in there. your local library may have it.

i am sorry you and he are going through this. sleep troubles make EVERYTHING harder! i hope it is resolved soon.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:32 PM   #4
mama2cody
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree, he could be overtired. It sounds weird and counterproductive, but if babies get better sleep during the day then they also sleep better at night. I did have to kind of enforce my son's naps during the day for a while. Now he does it on his own, which is great, but it did take some work. But we still don't always get a long sleep at night. :dontknow:
I hope it works out for you! It's so hard to not get sleep!
mama2cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 11:28 AM   #5
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i had another thought last night. try putting him to bed super early, like at 7. that may help. i know, it sounds like crazy talk, but really, what have you got to lose?
Old 12-10-2007, 12:14 PM   #6
bebeboy03
Registered Users
seller
seller

We are kind of in the same boat. My ds is the same age as yours, but our problem is staying asleep and drifting off to sleep with out a fight.

--First I put on his favorite cd (Raffi, baby beluga)
--we dance around the room for a song or two, then we sit in the rocker for the 3rd song and I dance his arms around on my lap, facing me.
--The 4th song is a slow song, so I turn him sideways on my lap and lay him against my chest. I sing the song to him and rock him at the same time. Usually by the end of the song or the next one he is out cold, or at least staring off.
--make sure the room is dark and quiet

I also put him to bed pretty early, like 7 or 730 and he sleeps til 730am. I have found this works the best for us so far. Ideally I would love for him to fall asleep on his own in his crib, but at least right now he is getting some sleep. Goodluck mama! I hope you find something that works!
cautiously expecting #4 October 2013
bebeboy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 12:39 PM   #7
oconnellhouse@msn.com
Registered Users

My Mood:

I know the other mamas said this but I do agree - it sounds as if he is overtired. He should be taking a nap about 2ish hours after he wakes up in the morning and then another nap in the afternoon and then down to bed fairly eary - 6:30 or 7pm.

With my little one she slept in her carseat until she was about 9 months old - I would put a blanket over it and put the carseat in her crib and she would sleep great.
oconnellhouse@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:27 PM   #8
S Starr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

One more vote for overtired and a 7pm bedtime! And for naps, make sure you're starting the routine before he gets obviously tired. You're looking for the very early signs of tiredness/drowsiness, not a tired, cranky child. As they start to be more active, it's easy for them to look more alert and lively, I think, but make sure he's not going too long awake. Our all-time most helpful sleep book: Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. Good luck!