Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-09-2007, 08:26 AM   #1
Jubilee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Stupid newbie question

I just read that breastfed babies have a bowel movement every time they breastfeed. I am new to both BF and CD and now I'm worried...do you have to change them (and poo at that) an insane amount of times? If so, how many diapers do you recommend for a BF/CD NB? Thanks!

Advertisement

and full-time student.

Last edited by Jubilee; 12-09-2007 at 08:29 AM.
Jubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 08:31 AM   #2
MatildasMum
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Re: Stupid newbie question

First of all - it's not true that every BF baby poos after every nursing session. Some BF babies don't poo for DAYS at a time. Every baby is different.

Secondly, yes. Newborns require many, many, many changes. But that's ok! Your ONLY job in those first few weeks is to nurse, change and cuddle with baby. Enjoy it. It goes by so quickly.

MatildasMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:00 AM   #3
DDC
Registered Users

I agree. Enjoy it. EBF poop is actually not so bad. Ihad 36 pf's in my rotation with dd and we washed everyday for the first few months. Sometimes you go through 3-4 diapers in 10 minutes! Just think if you were paying for sposies at that rate!
Old 12-09-2007, 09:05 AM   #4
maryjane
Registered Users

Every breastfed baby does not poop every feeding, but they all poop more as newborns than they do later own because they eat more often. Breastfeeding poops aren't that bad. Don't stress about it, it only lasts a couple months anyway and then you'll be wondering what happened to your tiny baby.
maryjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:10 AM   #5
healthyMTmama
Registered Users

Newborns poo a lot. I think all the sites I looked at when building my NB diaper stash said that NBs need 15-20 diapers per day. (they don't poo that much) My boy is still exclusively breastfed and he poops 1-3 times per day. Usually just once. I don't remember when he started pooping less, but it was within a month or two. The early days are all a blur, but like the PP said, your only job is to dote on your baby: cuddle, feed and change diapers.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:31 AM   #6
MamaZelly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My two were both EBF, and had vastly different schedules for pooping. Sophie would poop every second or third day, and Gus would poop 5 or 6 times in ONE day. My aunt's eldest pooped once a week, and her second every day a 10:30 in the morning.

There is no "normal" when it comes to BF poops. They come when they come!
Old 12-10-2007, 08:08 AM   #7
KatiesMom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Newborns need to be changed often. But if you want to cut down on the number of diapers you use you may want to try elimination communication.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:24 AM   #8
mama2cody
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Not all babies poop all the time. My son, however, pooped EVERY time he ate for like a month. It was awful! And I wasn't using cloth then, so I went through TONS of diapers and $$. Now, he might poop 3 or 4 times a day, but only like every other day or so. I call that Poop Day lol. Every baby is different though. The poo usually slows down.
mama2cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:58 AM   #9
Tenny
Registered Users

I agree with everyone else not all babies poop that much. Believe me I went crazy searching the internet and calling the Dr when my LO didn't poop for a few days. Now at 4 months he goes every 5-7 days and is still EBF, so every baby is different.
Tenny is offline   Reply With Quote