Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-09-2007, 02:29 PM   #1
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

Question Car Seat for a Baby Rec's please

A few things to keep in mind...

We can't afford a Briatx. Nor do they fit in our car. I have 4 kids, all in car seats, and they don't fit--we've tried.

I'd like to stay between $100-$150.

So, give me some other ideas. We're upgrading from the infant carrier. It's for my 5 month old who weighs 20 pounds, and is 27" long. So he is definately too big for the infant carrier anymore. I didn't realize how long he was until I measured him last night!

Advertisement

tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 02:32 PM   #2
JackieLyn
feeling festive
seller

My Mood:
Re: Car Seat for a Baby Rec's please

I've heard good things about the Evenflo Triumph Advanced....don't know the specifics but it does harness longer than 40 lbs (maybe 50 or 55) this seat is about $130-$150 Target sells them
Old 12-09-2007, 05:08 PM   #3
mom2riley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yep, Evenflo triumph Advance is what I would go with.
Evenflo Triumph Advance ~ This is between $130-$170 This is the newest version of the Triumph(you must make sure you are getting the version that goes to 50lbs). It has a RFing limit of 35lbs and a FFing limit of 50lbs. It has infinite harness adjust and is available at Wal-Mart, Target and BRU. This is a great HWH seat for the price, with easy installation.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5933974
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2734227
http://www.target.com/Evenflo-Triump...8&frombrowse=1

Or you could go with the Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe.
Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe (This seat is made by Britax modeled after the Marathon, but can't RF Tether) ~ It is $129 on sale, but you will get a slightly older date of manufacture since these are not being made anymore. This is a great seat, comparable to the MA. RFing limit is 33lbs and FFing limit is 55lbs.
http://www.albeebaby.com/fiprsavodeco2.html
http://www.albeebaby.com/fiprsavodeco1.html
Leilani '10

Last edited by mom2riley; 12-09-2007 at 05:10 PM.
mom2riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 06:41 AM   #4
pixilated
Registered Users
seller

If none of the Britax seats fit, then there is no way the Evenflo Triumph advanced will fit, since it is wider than any of the Britax convertibles, same with the Fisher Price Safe Voyage, since it is a Marathon clone. That doesn't leave many options available though.

What seats do you currently have for your older children? Are you willing to play around with their seats to get a seat for your youngest to fit?
pixilated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 06:55 AM   #5
MUHAJABAH
Registered Users
seller

We have the Fisher Price Safe Voyage, it goes up to 49" and 55lbs FF, and 35lbs RF. I wanted one that would keep my son rear facing for as long as possible. Hes 14 months and still RFing. It is the same model as the Britax Marathon just made my Fisher Price. I also have the Cosco Scenera that I got for my moms car because it was too hard dragging the car seat in and out all the time. It was much harder to install it though and the tightness pull thing is really hard to pull and hard to buckle. My son is comfortable in both but I think he likes the FPSV more. They both have good reviews in terms of safety though.
MUHAJABAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:17 AM   #6
Kanga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
If none of the Britax seats fit, then there is no way the Evenflo Triumph advanced will fit, since it is wider than any of the Britax convertibles, same with the Fisher Price Safe Voyage, since it is a Marathon clone. That doesn't leave many options available though.

What seats do you currently have for your older children? Are you willing to play around with their seats to get a seat for your youngest to fit?
Yeah that.

I have both an ETA and a FPSVD. The FPSVD is basically the same seat as the MA, only the MA has prettier, plushier fabric and a few more bells and whistles. The ETA may be slightly shorter seat back though than the Ma, but it is definitely much wider.

What vehicle do you drive and what other seats are currently in it? How will the MA not fit? If it's by width than you have a few options, but if it's because it takes up too much room for the seat in front of it, then there really aren't any options that will be your last convertible. You can get a smaller one, but then your dc will outgrow it before they are ready for a booster so you'll have to buy another seat and turn it ffing.

[COLOR="Red"]ISO: Girly Alva or Sunbaby OS for a mama on a budget.
Kanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:27 AM   #7
jackie010307
Registered Users
seller

If you are having trouble fitting them by width then you might try the sunshine kids radian. It's very narrow, harnesses to 65lbs (I think 33lbs rf) and has taller top slots than the big britax seats. It is usually around $199, but if it's the only way to keep you lo's harnesses then it would be well worth the money.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:04 AM   #8
jennsmile
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

www.car-seat.org is a great place. They should be able to help you.

Jenn

Fort Hood Mama's check out LLL of Killeen
jennsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 11:07 AM   #9
CandCfam
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tararaboomdeea View Post
A few things to keep in mind...

We can't afford a Briatx. Nor do they fit in our car. I have 4 kids, all in car seats, and they don't fit--we've tried.

I'd like to stay between $100-$150.

So, give me some other ideas. We're upgrading from the infant carrier. It's for my 5 month old who weighs 20 pounds, and is 27" long. So he is definately too big for the infant carrier anymore. I didn't realize how long he was until I measured him last night!
Ditto the PP who said that the EFTA will not work, it is really wide.
Also ditto jennsmile who recommended you post over at www.car-seat.org board, the CPSTs there have years of experience and are great at puzzling seats together.
What are the ages, torso heights and weights of your children?
What vehicle are the seats going into?

ETA: I wanted to add that the listed height limit is a guideline; You can keep him in the infant seat as long as he is within the weight limit and has at least 1" of hard shell above his head.

Carolyn

Last edited by CandCfam; 12-10-2007 at 12:12 PM.
CandCfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:00 PM   #10
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixilated View Post

We have a mix.

We have the Britax Regent for my 4 yr old son. He's in the back set with my 6 yr old, she's in a Evenflo Booster seat.

Then my 21 month old sits by the baby in the middle row. He has a Cosco Alpha Omega. We currently have a Graco Infant for the baby, but we need to upgrade, like, yesterday.

We've tried to fit the Britax in the van last week (the Roundabout, I think?) but it was too snug against the car seat next to it. And we only have the 2 seats in the middle row (we have a mini van). I guess we should have tried to put one baby in the back row with the bigger kids, but I don't like them being that far away from me.

I guess we need to just go and try some out, and see what fits.
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote