Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-10-2007, 05:25 PM   #11
mollies73
Registered Users

Re: Car Seat for a Baby Rec's please

We have the Cosco Alpha Omega's. We have 2 and have used them for 8 years for 5 kids from birth through 8 years old. We've really loved them.

Advertisement

Old 12-10-2007, 06:11 PM   #12
pixilated
Registered Users
seller

OKay, here's what I would do. Pass the Alpha Omega down to the baby, and get your 21 month old a new seat. With the Alpha Omega rearfacing(and it can stay that way for many months to come) a seat like the Fisher Price Safe Voyage should fit fine next to it. And, since it harnesses to 55lbs, you get that advantage to the seat.
pixilated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 06:11 PM   #13
pixilated
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollies73 View Post
We have the Cosco Alpha Omega's. We have 2 and have used them for 8 years for 5 kids from birth through 8 years old. We've really loved them.
You do realize that 8 years is past the expiration on the seat, right?
Old 12-10-2007, 07:54 PM   #14
rebeccah5
Behold: The Official Thread-Killer
seller

My Mood:

Although I have heard not-so-great things about sunshine kids lately, the Radian 65 might solve your space problem. It is exceptionally narrow at the base and can fit 3 across in many vehicles. car-seat.org is a great place to go for more info, and you can often find ladies who have installed seats in your particular vehicle/situation. Personally, I prefer my Britax over the Radian because it seemed so narrow I was afraid DD would outgrow it too soon or it would not be comfortable for her, but the Radian is very nice, too. You can watch the sales online and find one for a good price. I have heard good things about the FPSV, too, but it is not quite as plush or comfy as the Britax. You can sometimes find them at a Burlington (baby depot) if you have one locally, and you could check it out IRL.
Check out my knitting projects here and my stash here
rebeccah5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:02 PM   #15
fotoe
Registered Users
seller

I've heard good things about the radian and I think it's slimmer...I would try that first, that was my second choice after the britax. I would look online for whatever you buy, even though you need it quickly, everything there is almost always much cheaper, so you can get a better seat for cheaper. don't know how much the radian is though. I got mine at www.babyuniverse.com and had a 10% off coupon code from a thread here about britax seats being on sale after thanksgiving. if you can't find the thread and want me to send it to you, pm me...don't know if the coupon would still work or not, but it's worth a try! someone else on the thread mentioned that they went through some other site and got another $15 off or something!

ohhhh, and good idea on the baby depot if you need something right away...they have everything cheaper than BRU for sure!

Last edited by fotoe; 12-10-2007 at 08:03 PM.
fotoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:02 PM   #16
mollies73
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixilated View Post
You do realize that 8 years is past the expiration on the seat, right?
For what reason does a carseat expire? New regulations, or to be sure kids aren't in used seats that have been in accidents? Do you know?
Old 12-11-2007, 06:53 AM   #17
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixilated View Post
OKay, here's what I would do. Pass the Alpha Omega down to the baby, and get your 21 month old a new seat. With the Alpha Omega rearfacing(and it can stay that way for many months to come) a seat like the Fisher Price Safe Voyage should fit fine next to it. And, since it harnesses to 55lbs, you get that advantage to the seat.
OK, that sounds like a good idea. Hadn't thought of that. My 21 month old if FF now. Should I put him back to rear facing if we get the FP Safe Voyage? Where can I find that seat?

Quote:
For what reason does a carseat expire? New regulations, or to be sure kids aren't in used seats that have been in accidents? Do you know?
You're supposed to replace seats after 5 years now.
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:04 AM   #18
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tararaboomdeea View Post
You're supposed to replace seats after 5 years now.
The Canadian government carseat safety pages says if there isn't an expiry date to replace after 10 years. Not sure if the US is different, but at least one piece of information if there isnt' a date on the carseat.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/saf...rseat/tips.htm
Old 12-11-2007, 07:16 AM   #19
lilmama2dsndd
Boobies Broke? Gorilla Glue Em!!!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

The plastic they are made of break down over time, especially with them being in a car and being exposed to extreme hot & cold temperatures. After so long the plastic simply isn't strong enough to withstand the impact forces they were designed to hold. In the US you have to replace them every 5 years, unless stated differently (Britax is 6 years I believe). I know someone can post links to both utube crashtest videos of expired carseats and the US expiration laws, I don't have the links handy or I would.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:41 AM   #20
pixilated
Registered Users
seller

The Fisher Price Safe Voyage can still be found at Albeebaby. http://www.albeebaby.com/fiprsavodeco1.html I know the girls at www.car-seat.org are great at finding sales too, it might be online elsewhere for less.

You'll probably have the best luck with the Alpha Omega and the FPSVD fitting next to each other if you remove the base of the AO. As for putting your 21 month old back to rearfacing, that's up to you.

As for the PP, there should be an expiration date molded into your seat even, I believe Cosco puts them on the back shell area. It's been awhile since I've messed around with the AO though, so I could be wrong. Call Cosco if you have any questions.