Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-07-2006, 05:13 AM   #11
vick
You know me; not much with the damseling.
seller

Re: "My kids bore me to death..."

What a horrible person! Her poor kids

I would never say that being a mom means non-stop excitement or that everything that I do with Isabel is fun or intellectually stimulating for me - but it is for HER, and that's what it's all about. And she is anything but boring - this kid is a dynamo!

Advertisement

Old 08-07-2006, 05:33 AM   #12
GrowingUpMad
If everyone was the same the world would be a VERY boring place.
seller

My Mood:

Thankfully I don not know anyone like this ~ mind you most of my friends have been fixed to avoid ever reproducing but at least they didn't have them and then decide it wasn't right.

This woman is very selfish IMO. My children are FAR from boring ~ but than again I love spending time with them and am interested in their lives. Spending time alone feels lonely and I do not like it one bit. Those poor kids, just imagine their outlook on parenting now.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:31 AM   #13
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I know, I could not IMAGINE my life without my kids, and they are SO not boring lol
Old 08-07-2006, 08:45 AM   #14
jkelstaten
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmomy2dom
That makes me feel bad, too. I wouldn't even say that being a mother or a SAHM is boring - I feel like I'm going insane sometimes, but I NEVER find it boring.

Before we moved here I felt like I hardly has a second to myself and that I was always doing something. Women who who only desire to give birth to a child and not be "Mommy" should be required to have premanent birth control. That is so awful for her kids!!
jkelstaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 10:03 AM   #15
SoftBumBaby
Registered Users

I think I commented on this on another thread but I thought of something...I agree that sometimes motherhood can be pretty tough. And sometimes as a parent you really don't feel like playing My Pretty Pony or "Where's Colin? There he is!" for the 900th time that day. I mean a child's idea of fun can definitely be different from a grownup's sometimes. BUT the operative word here is "sometimes". This woman is intimating that she feels like this ALL the time. That the kids know they can never count on her involvement in many of the things they like. That's what bugged me.

Someone mentioned that she wasn't sure the article was true. I am wondering that, too. Is this woman sort of trying to write Erma Bombeck-style but it just isn't coming off correctly? It's one thing to admit to and share the less "fun" aspects of parenthood by laughing a little...that's something we all do. It's quite another to pretty much renounce the institution altogether. I agree that if she truly feels like this on an ongoing basis, she probably should not have had children.

Autism Every Day
SoftBumBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 10:58 AM   #16
scwendy
Registered Users
seller

Am I a lazy, superficial person because I don't enjoy packing up their sports kit, or making their lunch, or sitting through coffee mornings with other mothers discussing how Mr Science (I can't remember most of the teachers' names) said such and such to Little Johnny and should we all complain to the headmaster.

Yes, you are.

And yet many women have spent years studying and then working so that we would not have to do a job as menial as full-time motherhood. I consider spending up to 30 hours a week sitting behind the wheel of a 4x4, dropping children off at play centres or school, to be a less-than-satisfactory reward for all those years of sweat.

I have a graduate degree and would LOVE to be able to stay home with my children. What a snob to categorize motherhood as menial in addition to demeaning those who perform physical labor or what she might considered less skilled work!

Frankly, as long as you've fed them, sheltered them and told them they are loved, children will be fine. Mine are at the risk of sounding smug well-adjusted, creative children who respect the concept of work. They also accept my limitations.

No. Telling your children is NOT enough. They must be SHOWN that they are loved with words and ACTIONS. And don't worry- you don't sound smug, you sound pathetic.
scwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 11:50 AM   #17
Korbins Mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You know, you're right. This is really messing up those kids minds. My husband (said to say) was raised in something like this. His Dad was so interested in paying off the house that they just bought to make his credit look good, that he was left with his Grandfather most of the time. His Mother, a school teacher, was always too busy grading papers or doing something to give him any of her time.

It's created SERIOUS problems in our relationship.

I'm all about what our ds needs and what I can do for him. It almost seems like dh doesn't care. He sees it as competition for my attention.

I could just strangle that woman. But instead, I'll pray for her. It's the only thing I can do that LEGAL.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:03 PM   #18
rebeccah5
Behold: The Official Thread-Killer
seller

My Mood:

I don't want to sound judgemental or rush to conclusions about this woman (but, after all, she did take part in an interview for a news article!), however, I know that, as many PP's said, sometimes you do get sort of tired of playing those same games over and over with the kids. I think it is healthy to have some time to yourself, too. But I do feel so sorry for those kids! It's kind of like these people who go on talk shows and tell all kinds of horrible deep dark secrets, I think, "You know, those kids are gonna watch/read this someday!!" I'm all for being open and honest, but, geez, you've gotta think about your kids' mental health and emotional well-being, too! I can't imagine how it would make me feel it my mom had told the world that she would rather go shopping than spend time with me or that I was too boring to spend time with.
Check out my knitting projects here and my stash here
rebeccah5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 01:07 PM   #19
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccah5
I don't want to sound judgemental or rush to conclusions about this woman (but, after all, she did take part in an interview for a news article!), however, I know that, as many PP's said, sometimes you do get sort of tired of playing those same games over and over with the kids. I think it is healthy to have some time to yourself, too. But I do feel so sorry for those kids! It's kind of like these people who go on talk shows and tell all kinds of horrible deep dark secrets, I think, "You know, those kids are gonna watch/read this someday!!" I'm all for being open and honest, but, geez, you've gotta think about your kids' mental health and emotional well-being, too! I can't imagine how it would make me feel it my mom had told the world that she would rather go shopping than spend time with me or that I was too boring to spend time with.
I 150% agree with this. I read the article but didnt reply here because frankly I was like "OMG" and didnt know what to say but this said it perfectly.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:10 PM   #20
scwendy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFabMama
I 150% agree with this. I read the article but didnt reply here because frankly I was like "OMG" and didnt know what to say but this said it perfectly.
As you can see from my previous reply, I am in calling it like I see it mode today!
scwendy is offline   Reply With Quote