Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-10-2007, 08:23 AM   #1
mamarae
Registered Users
Formerly: rgrindle

My Mood:
Please help anwser my questions about thrush

DH has no job/income, I don't have any insurance so I can't ask a doctor. You ladies are my only resource and I really feel frustrated and lost. I've posted several questions, but have gotten very few answers. Now I'm begging for help.

How do you swab baby's mouth before nursing? I've been pouring a bit of GSE/water into a small cup, using a Q-tip to get where I can though he screams the whole time or clamps his mouth shut. This usually takes about 2 minutes. Then after nursing, I wash out the cup so I can use it again for the next feeding. Is there an easier way to do it?

Should I do something for him AFTER nursing? Another swab?

I've been doing a vinegar rinse followed by a GSE rinse for me. I've been using squares of disposable TP, a separate one for each nipple, a separate one each for vinegar and GSE. Is all of this separate stuff necessary to prevent transmitting yeast from one to the other, or is the yeast killed anyway by the vinegar/GSE so it doesn't matter? Is there another method? I hate filling up the trash can with so much trash.

DS was getting red patches around his mouth, and I determined that it was caused by the lotrimen I was applying to my nipples. So I've had to discontinue that. Do I need to do something else, or is the vinegar/GSE sufficient? I've heard about coconut oil, but is that okay for a 6-month-old who hasn't been introduced to solids? Do I need to worry about allergies?

My supply has dropped since this started. Can I take fenugreek even though I'm taking garlic, GSE, and probiotics?

How do I sanitize toys that can go into the dishwasher, washing machine, or be boiled? Vinegar? Bleach? Lysol?

Sorry so long, but my mind is racing a bit. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Advertisement

Old 12-10-2007, 10:01 AM   #2
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Please help anwser my questions about thrush

Personally I would do just the GSE rinse. I use a q-tip and you use 10-20 drops of GSE per ounce of distilled water (very important). You do the babes mouth before nursing and your nipples after nursing. It's nasty stuff so they definitely don't like it. I find it easiest to just use a q-tip.

How are your nipples looking?? I think just the GSE would be enough, his mouth might be irritated from the other ointment you are using plus the GSE. Are your nipples sore?? Does you son have white patches in his mouth??

I don't know about the GSE and Fenugreek....I'll email my doula though, she would probably know. She has helped me with thrush, which is finally *crossing fingers* getting better.

As far as disinfecting things I would just use a little squirt bottle with the distilled water and GSE, it will kill the yeast on contact. What are you doing for you bras and nursing pads?? Make sure you are changing daily and wash on HOT and I use GSE in that batch I wash, probably 30 drops or more??

I am sorry your supply is going down, try not to stress about thrush too much. I know it's hard and it can drive you batty!! You could also try Gentian Violet, I don't think you need a pescription for it, I could be wrong though. If you can't get it, I could and send it to you....they have it at our local breastfeeding center.

Oh and I don't know how old you babe is but you could probably by some acidophilus, the baby kind, and rub that on his cheeks. I used that with my older ds.

Hang in there Mama.....feel free to PM me anytime. Thrush sucks!!

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:02 AM   #3
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Oh I was going to ask, do you have pain in your breasts or your arm pit area?? They also say cutting out sugar and yeast in your diet will help also....eating lots of yogurt is good too.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:22 AM   #4
mamarae
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2JJ View Post
I don't know about the GSE and Fenugreek....I'll email my doula though, she would probably know. She has helped me with thrush, which is finally *crossing fingers* getting better.

As far as disinfecting things I would just use a little squirt bottle with the distilled water and GSE, it will kill the yeast on contact. What are you doing for you bras and nursing pads?? Make sure you are changing daily and wash on HOT and I use GSE in that batch I wash, probably 30 drops or more??

I am sorry your supply is going down, try not to stress about thrush too much. I know it's hard and it can drive you batty!! You could also try Gentian Violet, I don't think you need a pescription for it, I could be wrong though. If you can't get it, I could and send it to you....they have it at our local breastfeeding center.
You are so lucky to have a local breastfeeding center. What I would give!! Thanks for asking about the fenugreek. I appreciate your help.

My nipples are very sore and bright red; one is cracked and the skin is flaking and I've got the white patches. I also have shooting pains in that one. They were almost constant, but have reduced to just a few times a day... or whenever I'm trying to get to sleep! I feel like that side needs more TLC than the other. It at least needs some sort of moisture. The Lotrimen was working for that, but now I can't do that, so I don't know what to do.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:31 AM   #5
mindycat72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Use coconut oil. You can even swab the baby's mouth with that too.
mindycat72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:43 AM   #6
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

You can use Vitmain E for dryness from the GSE, it shouldn't bother your ds at all.

What kind of GSE pills are you taking?? I just take the GSE concentrated drops, same as I use for everything else. I take about 20 drops morning and night. Mix it with orange juice, then you hardly taste it. My doula also reccomended the supplement extracts Enchincea and Astralagus Root, she thinks thrush can/is be linked to your immune system. You can get those a health food store.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:28 AM   #7
ginafer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you can get some pure, cold-pressed, unrefined coconut oil you can put that on your nipples as a moisturizer, it will work great. And it will help with the yeast. It will be fine for baby. It has all sorts of great properties. http://rubies.articledirectoree.com/...e-best-63.html Click this link and scroll down to coconut oil for more info. There is no reason why you can't add this to your routine.
Joshua 24:15
Ginafer: wife to 1 wonderful husband and mother of 5 gorgeous boys!
ginafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 11:52 AM   #8
mamarae
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2JJ View Post
You can use Vitmain E for dryness from the GSE, it shouldn't bother your ds at all.

What kind of GSE pills are you taking?? I just take the GSE concentrated drops, same as I use for everything else. I take about 20 drops morning and night. Mix it with orange juice, then you hardly taste it. My doula also reccomended the supplement extracts Enchincea and Astralagus Root, she thinks thrush can/is be linked to your immune system. You can get those a health food store.
nak
taking solaray 250mg GSE 3x/day
doing thrush diet so avoiding sugar, including fruit
should probably try some immune-boosters
Old 12-10-2007, 08:25 PM   #9
luvmy2girls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Gentian Violet has always worked well for us-on your nipples and in baby's mouth, in combination with thrush diet (as best as we can stick to it ) and probiotics for both mom and baby. PM me if you want...
ETA- or you can call the # in my siggy 24 hrs/day
Old 12-10-2007, 08:33 PM   #10
wendyroo2001
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

gentian violet worked faster than GSE for me, just treat yourself and baby will get it when he nurses. its really cheap, they keep it behind the counter at pharmacies but you don't need a prescription. it will stain so use sposie nursing pads!!