Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-10-2007, 07:07 PM   #1
jesshb
Registered Users
seller

Update :-) Help! UTI & Vaginitis and Breastfeeding

I just read that title and it make me sick to my stomach. Sorry if any of this is too TMI for you all but I really need help...

I was diagnosed with both a UTI and Vaginitis today The doctor gave me some oral antibiotic and some vaginal cream. I feel totally safe taking the oral (and have already). However I read up on the cream metronidazole and it is NOT safe for breastfeeding mothers to take

The doctor had to know this and still prescribed it I don't know what to do now. I need to have this treated and I don't know if the oral antibiotics will do the job. Has anyone been in my shoes? What can I do? Are there other courses of treatments??

Thanks in advance. I really don't want to have to wean my ds until at least a year but I can't have a UTI and vaginitis for 4 more months

Advertisement

Last edited by jesshb; 12-11-2007 at 01:58 PM.
jesshb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:11 PM   #2
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help! UTI & Vaginitis and Breastfeeding

ive had BV and YI several times this pregnancy and im still BFing dd, 16 months....the metronidazole has not effected my supply in any way and i honestly had no idea it was bad to take while BFing
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:14 PM   #3
jesshb
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcake2386 View Post
ive had BV and YI several times this pregnancy and im still BFing dd, 16 months....the metronidazole has not effected my supply in any way and i honestly had no idea it was bad to take while BFing
Maybe I will ask my ds' pediatrician about it. He's sick too right now and has an appointment tomorrow. I will post what she says so you can know too. Thanks for responding.

I'm trying to not be an over worrier but I have been sick with really weird things since ds has been born and I am sooo worried that I will take something that will be harmful to him kwim?
Old 12-10-2007, 07:19 PM   #4
saongiri
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcake2386 View Post
I used it in my pg too and I was still nursing my dd then and it was prescribed by my mw who is very conscious of bf'ing so I *think* she would have warned me if it wasn't safe- but an aside---the thing she also strongly recommended was washing down there with baking soda and taking acidophilos orally to help return that area to the normal balance with the ph and normal flora and all that
Old 12-10-2007, 07:22 PM   #5
jesshb
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by saongiri View Post
I used it in my pg too and I was still nursing my dd then and it was prescribed by my mw who is very conscious of bf'ing so I *think* she would have warned me if it wasn't safe- but an aside---the thing she also strongly recommended was washing down there with baking soda and taking acidophilos orally to help return that area to the normal balance with the ph and normal flora and all that
This is making me feel better (well emotionally anyway LOL) I am just frustrated because just moved to a new area of the US in July and I have been sick twice to the point of needing medication. Both times the doctors have prescribed things that aren't "recommended" for breastfeeding moms. And both doctors when I tell them I'm bfing look at me like I'm an alien (the first time was at 4 months...now almost 8 months) Both times they asked me if he took any formula and if I would consider weaning cold turkey. WTF!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by jesshb; 12-10-2007 at 07:32 PM. Reason: typos :blush:
jesshb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:23 PM   #6
jesshb
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by saongiri View Post
One more thing...what is acidophilos and can I get it over the counter? Thanks!
Old 12-10-2007, 07:25 PM   #7
nadjarea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

have you tried grapefruit seed extract and colloidial silver?
Old 12-10-2007, 07:28 PM   #8
saongiri
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

acidophilus is a active culture that helps regrow your normal flora which helps keep bad bugs at bay---when you take antibiotics yu kill the good and bad bugs (not literally bugs but you know what I mean) --you can definitely buy it over the counter at a health food store or a decent grocery store-it should be in the refrigerator- you can also get lactobacillus or if you really can't find those look for plain yogurt with active cultures and eat it like crazy and you can also put it down below
(using the applicator that comes with the metro cream works great)
Old 12-10-2007, 07:29 PM   #9
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesshb View Post
Both times they asked me if he took and formula and if I would consider weaning cold turkey. WTF!!!!!!!!!
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:29 PM   #10
jesshb
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadjarea View Post
have you tried grapefruit seed extract and colloidial silver?
No, I haven't. I didn't even get a clue that I had this going on until last evening when it intensified But I'm writing all these tips down and I'm up for trying anything and everything that will allow me to continue bfing my ds

I see you're in JAX! I live about an hour north of you! I don't know any Cding/Bfing/etc... moms in my area (hopefully I'll meet some) Thanks for posting