Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-12-2007, 09:38 AM   #31
mgl
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: I don't get EBF for 12 months?

EBF for that long just wasn't practical for us. Ds had teeth at 4 months, and was feeding himself off of our plates by 4 1/2 months. He was ready so I saw no reason to deny him food. I figured it was seafer for me to give it mushed up than for him to choke on bigger pieces he was trying to eat. That said, if it works for you, great! It just didn't work with my kiddos. I didn't give them any formula or other milk until after a year, and eating solids never decreased how much they nursed, it was in addition to. I have big kids (ds >95% in height and wieght from 1 month on and still is at almost four years) and I think they needed the extra in the food, ds could eat an entire kids meal from most resteraunts by 18 months. Just my from our experience.

Advertisement

Old 12-12-2007, 10:58 AM   #32
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

:stir:

OK. For the sake of discussion, what if there was some reason that you couldn't nurse your baby? I'm talking a legitimate, medical, it just canNOT happen kind of situation. (I have no clue what this would be, but let's just pretend for the sake of good conversation.)
So you find a good formula that baby does well with. Do you apply the same "rule" to the FF that you do to the BF? Do you STILL exclusively formula feed for the entire year before introducing solids? I mean, formula is a more balanced option than feeding the kid anything else (save BM-and even the formula companies wish you would believe it's the same).
OK. Get to posting.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:15 AM   #33
luvmy2girls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've only had a few minutes, but you can do a search on kellymom.com by typing in Delay Solids...

From Kellymom.com
"Delaying solids decreases the risk of food allergies.
It is well documented that prolonged exclusive breastfeeding results in a lower incidence of food allergies (see Allergy References and Risks of Artificial Feeding).

Delaying solids helps to protect baby from iron-deficiency anemia.
The introduction of iron supplements and iron-fortified foods, particularly during the first six months, reduces the efficiency of baby's iron absorption. Healthy, full-term infants who are breastfed exclusively for periods of 6-9 months have been shown to maintain normal hemoglobin values and normal iron stores. In one study (Pisacane, 1995), the researchers concluded that babies who were exclusively breastfed for 7 months (and were not give iron supplements or iron-fortified cereals) had significantly higher hemoglobin levels at one year than breastfed babies who received solid foods earlier than seven months. The researchers found no cases of anemia within the first year in babies breastfed exclusively for seven months and concluded that breastfeeding exclusively for seven months reduces the risk of anemia.

Delaying solids gives baby's digestive system time to mature.
If solids are started before a baby's system is ready to handle them, they are poorly digested and may cause unpleasant reactions (digestive upset, gas, constipation, etc.). Protein digestion is incomplete in infancy. Gastric acid and pepsin are secreted at birth and increase toward adult values over the following 3 to 4 months. The pancreatic enzyme amylase does not reach adequate levels for digestion of starches until around 6 months, and carbohydrate enzymes such as maltase, isomaltase, and sucrase do not reach adult levels until around 7 months. Young infants also have low levels of lipase and bile salts, so fat digestion does not reach adult levels until 6-9 months."

There's more, but I don't think anyone will read much more than this...
Old 12-12-2007, 11:38 AM   #34
kattayanna_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever View Post

OK. For the sake of discussion, what if there was some reason that you couldn't nurse your baby? I'm talking a legitimate, medical, it just canNOT happen kind of situation. (I have no clue what this would be, but let's just pretend for the sake of good conversation.)
So you find a good formula that baby does well with. Do you apply the same "rule" to the FF that you do to the BF? Do you STILL exclusively formula feed for the entire year before introducing solids? I mean, formula is a more balanced option than feeding the kid anything else (save BM-and even the formula companies wish you would believe it's the same).
OK. Get to posting.
Since breast milk or formula should be babies main source of nutrition for the 1st year I'd say it would be ok to EFF for the 1st year I also don't see a problem with continuing FF after the 1st 12 mths. meaning why do you have to stop as soon as they turn 12 mths?(I know you don't).
Old 12-12-2007, 11:55 AM   #35
togg_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't start out saying I was going to EBF to a year, but if DD keeps on this way we'll make it to a year with no problem! DD is 10 months and she couldn't care less most days. I offer it twice a day and sometimes she eats one bite and sometimes she eats 20, but usually it's two bites and then she's done. Whatever works.
togg_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:07 PM   #36
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever View Post

OK. Get to posting.

Formula doesnt grow with your child, Breastmilk does! Formula is formula, your body adds what your child needs to your breastmilk. I am about positive that it isnt okay to ONLY formula feed a baby for the first year. Formula and Breastmilk are very different.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:47 PM   #37
beccalriley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

well...we have allergies in my family and I planned on delaying solids at least until 9 months.
With my first who had some signs of allergies older...she coud honestly care less about food until she was almost a year old..she just wanted to nurse and showed no intrest in food really.
with my 2nd who seems to be less prone to allergies (17mo) she was grabbing food off my plate and shoving into her mouth at 5 1/2 months! I mean I was literally eating standing up with her on one hip and my food on the other side..leaning as far as I could over so she wouldn't get it.
I just got to the point and said..i guess she is ready.
Also I want to add..I do think there is a difference between watching food and mimicking behavior and actually wanting food.
When younger babies do this..I ussualy try to give babies a spoon to play with until this totally doesn't satisfy that need anymore.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:48 PM   #38
beccalriley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i also wanted to add..that starting solids for us did not mean breaking out jars of babyfood..because my dd did show earlier intrest in food I would just have like a cooked sweet potatoe that she could grab and put in her mouth..this way she didn't get so much that it was overwhelming her system.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:50 PM   #39
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccalriley View Post
Also I want to add..I do think there is a difference between watching food and mimicking behavior and actually wanting food.
When younger babies do this..I ussualy try to give babies a spoon to play with until this totally doesn't satisfy that need anymore.
I totally agree with this. Earlier we found that DD would often be happy with a bite or two and then play with a spoon or biter biscuit type food. Now if I give her something she cannot easily consume, she throws it aside (I pick it up and give it back to her, repeat, repeat, repeat) and fusses until I give her finger foods that she can eat. She will actually frown as if to say, "I can't eat this. Give me something to fill my tummy!!"
Old 12-12-2007, 02:56 PM   #40
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy2girls View Post
I've only had a few minutes, but you can do a search on kellymom.com by typing in Delay Solids...

From Kellymom.com
"Delaying solids decreases the risk of food allergies.
It is well documented that prolonged exclusive breastfeeding results in a lower incidence of food allergies (see Allergy References and Risks of Artificial Feeding).

Delaying solids helps to protect baby from iron-deficiency anemia.
The introduction of iron supplements and iron-fortified foods, particularly during the first six months, reduces the efficiency of baby's iron absorption. Healthy, full-term infants who are breastfed exclusively for periods of 6-9 months have been shown to maintain normal hemoglobin values and normal iron stores. In one study (Pisacane, 1995), the researchers concluded that babies who were exclusively breastfed for 7 months (and were not give iron supplements or iron-fortified cereals) had significantly higher hemoglobin levels at one year than breastfed babies who received solid foods earlier than seven months. The researchers found no cases of anemia within the first year in babies breastfed exclusively for seven months and concluded that breastfeeding exclusively for seven months reduces the risk of anemia.

Delaying solids gives baby's digestive system time to mature.
If solids are started before a baby's system is ready to handle them, they are poorly digested and may cause unpleasant reactions (digestive upset, gas, constipation, etc.). Protein digestion is incomplete in infancy. Gastric acid and pepsin are secreted at birth and increase toward adult values over the following 3 to 4 months. The pancreatic enzyme amylase does not reach adequate levels for digestion of starches until around 6 months, and carbohydrate enzymes such as maltase, isomaltase, and sucrase do not reach adult levels until around 7 months. Young infants also have low levels of lipase and bile salts, so fat digestion does not reach adult levels until 6-9 months."

There's more, but I don't think anyone will read much more than this...
This is very interesting, as I understand they USED to tell mothers of BF babies that they HAD to give the iron enriched cereal or formula because their BM didn't contain enough or some such nonsense.

I do want to point out that the range that is most often referenced in this is 6-9 months. This does make a lot of sense as to why it is recommended to delay proteins (meat, beans, etc) until around 8-9 months. It doesn't really explain why it's better to delay all the way until 12 months though. I guess the extra 3 months can be a safety net?