Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-11-2007, 06:53 AM   #1
mollies73
Registered Users

Dumb/uneducated things your dr has said

I was just thinking about this reading the post about someone's Dr. telling her that cloth diapered babies always have rashes. I had a Dr. a while back with my first child that told me at 9 months that I needed to stop breastfeeding soon or it would be detrimental to my son's psyci (sp?) and he would want to have sex with me. They gave me a whole folder of Freudian research that said this. I never went back. They couldn't have possible graduated from medical school. Perhaps they got their degrees through the mail. I wonder how many people they've convinced to stop breastfeeding.

Advertisement

Old 12-11-2007, 07:14 AM   #2
indysteffanie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dumb/uneducated things your dr has said

our old pediatrician told me i had defective bm.

i was stupid and believed what she said, and started giving my son formula at 2 weeks old, got pregnant again shortly after and was so scared of my "defective" bm that i didnt even pump or attempt to nurse my 32 week preemie....

my son had lost 2 lbs in the first week he was alive, come to find out...she missed all the signs and he has cystic fibrosis....

we have switched docs.
indysteffanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:37 AM   #3
Suzanne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My disclaimer on this post is that I LOVE my doctor, his family and mine are friends, so I can rib him when he says things like this:

When my newborn wasn't gaining enough weight, well, he knew better then to tell me to switch to formula. I asked him if he thought I had a Fore milk / Hindmilk imbalance. He said, what is hindmilk?

This not only coming from a doctor, but a man who's wife breastfed their three children until 18 months old!
Suzanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:03 AM   #4
aliks
Registered Users
seller

pedi that we saw for a checkup after hospitalization where ds had to wear sposies and he had a rash: "disposable diapers do not cause diaper rash"-he said this as he rolled his eyes when he was wearing a cd.

doctor when my son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes "your son has diabetes because he isn't fully vaccinated" I asked her where that diabetes vaccine is and she left I saw her the next time he was in the PICU and she just walked away and said "he doesn't belong here"-biotch!
aliks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:29 AM   #5
raelynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow, those are crazy doctor stories! Those doctors need to go back to school.

The worst our ped has done was tell me that my DS needed to have 3 full meals a day at 6 months (of solids). I, of course, ignored her and kept breastfeeding and feeding bits of solids here and there.

I've earned $75 with Swagbucks AND I've lost 108.8lbs ISO MM Poppies
raelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:35 AM   #6
isis0821
Registered Users
seller

When DS was 1 month old, we saw a NP instead of one of the MDs (I didn't think there was a difference for a well visit). Well, she freaked out on us when I told her that I had the baby in bed with me, and DH had slept on the couch a few times so that he could get some sleep (I was on maternity leave and he was working). She said that "co-sleeping is the #1 cause of divorce in new parents," and went on and on about how I am going to kill my baby and kill our marriage. She said that by the time the baby was 2 months old, he should be in his own crib in his own room. Needless to say, I made sure never to see her again.
isis0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:41 AM   #7
maryjane
Registered Users

My dr has never said anything crazy to me. He promotes breastfeeding, he cloth diapers his babies, he encourages finding alternative treatments rather than pharmaceutical meds. He takes a very laissez faire approach to a lot of things which means he isn't Rx happy. He will call you back on the phone and talk for hours until he answers every single question. He loves large families. When he gives a diagnosis he presents you with all the treatment plans available and encourages you to choose the one you are most comfortable with and then supports that decision even if it isn't HIS first choice. He's amazing.

However, my sister lives in south Georgia and her doctors are all morons in my opinioin. First her midwife told her in the hospital after her first child was born that she needed to pump and empty her other breast after nursing or the milk would stagnate and make the baby sick at the next feeding. Then her ped told her that her baby was allergic to her breastmilk. The baby was vomitting all the time. He told her this even after sister told him they had been feeding the baby grape juice, applesauce, and formula mixed with baby food from a bottle at 2 weeks old. And his explanation for the vomitting was breastmilk allergy. Then he told her not to even try regular formula because since she was allergic to formula as a baby that her baby would be too and she should start him on soy. Then when she got engorged from breastfeeding the midwives told her to pump frequently and for longer periods of time. Her son had a buried penis thanks to a too tight circumcision but the ped told her he'd never even heard of that and it was normal. I think they're all crazy down there.
maryjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:41 AM   #8
susansabrina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Let me start off by saying I definitely want one of those diabetes vaccines!

We had to visit one of the othre Dr.s in our ped group for a diaper rash. I was sure it was a yeast rash (thanks to all of you DS mommas and the monostat cream actually worked) but I still wanted to get DS checked out before we headed oot for Thanksgiving. This guy had never seen a cloth diaper before and told me the rash was not yeast but a nickel allergy from the "metal' snaps in the diaper. I thought this guy is an idiot because the snaps were plastic and I had just told him the only thing that has worked was the Monostat cream. We ended up leaving with tons of yeast cream samples and a Dr. telling me he did not think it was yeast but here you go anyway. His professional opinion was that the plasticy diapers covers were causing a chaffing rash. I should have taken DS in a pinned flat and wool!

The first ped I saw 4 days after DS was born could not believe that a baby could be completely nourished by breastmilk. She had even breastfed her child! She practically begged me to take 6 cans of "free" formula home with us. We never went back!!
ISO:Planet Lunchbox, zorb, Small Lunette cup, ribbon for hairbows, bento style egg molds.IHA:Sm MEAF, Med MEAF, ME Toddlease, Columbia shorts XL womens, xl maternity swimsuit, Lg Zolowear ring sling in blue/grey, 2 Robeez 12-18 mo boys, wool wash, dog costume

Last edited by susansabrina; 12-11-2007 at 10:49 AM.
susansabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:47 AM   #9
mommy2abigail
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow! I'm amazed at these drs.! DD's ped right now is AWESOME, very much into the natural thing, loves a 3 year old still nursing, (yes, even while mommy is preggo!) and never ever prescribes antibiotics. But, before we found out about him, we went to three different peds, who were terrible.
mommy2abigail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:52 AM   #10
maryjane
Registered Users

Oh I forgot about something. There is one female doctor in my ped's practice that I will never go back to. I didn't circumcise my boys. The first time I took my first ds in for a checkup and saw her she took off his diaper and proceeded to try to force back his foreskin and made him bleed. I grabbed her by the arm and said what do you think you are doing? She said you have to force it back and clean up under it. I said no you don't the foreskin isn't retractable until they are older and forcing it will cause problems. So she looks at me and says I don't have a problem with people not circumcising their boys as long as they take care of it and walked out. I went up to the front desk and told them none of my children would ever be seeing her again. I was livid.
maryjane is offline   Reply With Quote