Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-11-2007, 10:52 AM   #11
mama23boys
Banned
seller

Re: Dumb/uneducated things your dr has said

mine has said-

~to quit CDs bc of it causing rashes, he was thinking of the "old" way, plastic pants (traps heat in causing rashes) and prefolds. once he saw my FBs and wool/fitteds he loves them.

~need to quit nursing my almost 2yo bc the baby needs to nurse the most. now i dont even mention that he is still nursing LOL

i know there was more but i gotta think LOL

Advertisement

mama23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:53 AM   #12
this_mel_rocks
Registered Users
seller

My OB told me at a check up that my then 14mth old son wasn't getting any breast milk from me at that age and to stop nursing so I could take his prescribed BC pills for my cysts. Pfft... No milk my arse. We nursed till he self weaned at 20mths.
this_mel_rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:09 AM   #13
MamaZelly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjane View Post
The first time I took my first ds in for a checkup and saw her she took off his diaper and proceeded to try to force back his foreskin and made him bleed.

Are you kidding??? What is WRONG with people?????
Old 12-11-2007, 11:17 AM   #14
mama2cody
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I gotta say, I love my doctor. He's our family doctor, not a pediatrician. That bothers some people in our family because they think he knows nothing about babies. Not true, actually! He has a daughter who will be 1 year old in January, and his wife breastfeeds and they use cloth diapers!! He did laugh at me when I told him we were going to try cloth, and told me good luck. I'm still not sure if he was being sarcastic or not lol. But he really is awesome. I have his home number and even his pager, which he gave me when I was pregnant, so I could reach him no matter what time I went into labor! He's one of those doctors that if I call, no matter if he's on call for the office or not, he'll personally call me back at home and talk to me. He is very reassuring and even saw my son on a Sunday at the office when I was worried after we'd been in an accident (DS was not hurt at all btw).

The NP at our office on the other hand, is weird. I took DS in there because he had a weird rash and seemed to be crying every time he peed. This was before we used mostly cloth. I told her I thought the rash was a yeast rash and that we had thrush. She looked at me and said that it wasn't possible since she did not see anything white in his mouth (after looking for 2 seconds). She didn't check anything else. She also told me that at his age (a little over 3 months) there was no reason for him to cry when he peed and it was probably just because he was noticing that his body was doing something and he didn't like not being in control. She told me he was fine. Um...whatever. I got the rash cleared up on my own and noticed that when we started using cloth more he stopped crying when he peed. Hmm...

Oh, but here's a good one! When I was pregnant, I KNEW I had a sinus infection. I couldn't get into see my doctor because it was flu season and they were wicked busy. They told me to go to First Care at the hospital and they would give me something. The doctor I saw looked at me, asked me if my head hurt, and then told me it was because I was pregnant. I told her no, I have a sinus infection and I needed antibiotics. She looked at me and told me that they don't give antibiotics to pregnant women because it harms the baby and causes birth defects. Oh really? Never heard that one. My doctor squeezed me in a couple days later when the infection got worse and I got antibiotics and it went away.

Some doctors just shouldn't be doctors.
mama2cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:18 AM   #15
maryjane
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaZelly View Post

Are you kidding??? What is WRONG with people?????
Yeah, I know. I wish I hadn't been so stunned because I would have had a lot more to say to her. My dad had problems until he got circ'ed at age 21 because some dumb doctor told his mom the same thing. She was telling me how he used to scream every time she'd change him and clean up under his foreskin and how he'd get adhesions and infections. Yeah because you aren't supposed to freaking do that. I was so mad I'm surprised I didn't hit her.

I also refuse to see the NP in their practice because I always know more about what's going on than she does. My second dd had a reaction to her 3rd DTaP and her entire leg swelled up. I researched it and apparently it was a very common reaction to the DTaP but I had already made an appt so I went in. The NP had never heard of that happening and didn't believe me when I told her what it was. She had to call my ped in to consult and he knew what it was right away. Oh, did I mention my ped is also fine with delayed vax or even refusing vax. He is cool with it.
maryjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:21 AM   #16
mama2cody
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjane View Post
Oh I forgot about something. There is one female doctor in my ped's practice that I will never go back to. I didn't circumcise my boys. The first time I took my first ds in for a checkup and saw her she took off his diaper and proceeded to try to force back his foreskin and made him bleed. I grabbed her by the arm and said what do you think you are doing? She said you have to force it back and clean up under it. I said no you don't the foreskin isn't retractable until they are older and forcing it will cause problems. So she looks at me and says I don't have a problem with people not circumcising their boys as long as they take care of it and walked out. I went up to the front desk and told them none of my children would ever be seeing her again. I was livid.
Wow. That is so wrong, and she should have been more gentle! I can't believe she forced it till he BLED! What's the matter with her? I wouldn't have been back to see her either, it definitly sounds like she doesn't support your choices.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:06 PM   #17
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

we had to take jonas to a urologist to have a swollen scrotum checked out. i knew to be ready for the dr to try and retract his foreskin, so i thought if i just held his penis out of the way the dr wouldn't have a chance to hurt him, and could go about his exam of his scrotum. but apparently this guy was hell bent on retraction, bc he tried to force it while i was holding his penis back!! and then when i told him he wasn't going to do that, he asked me why and so i told him that he is still young and not retractable. "but i need to check it" he says. uh...scrotum. the penis is fine, check the swollen scrotum, idiot. i wish i could show you the stunned look on his face when he said to me that 'we're not getting off on the right foot, are we". no doc, i guess we're not.

when the boys were very young micah was a "slow grower" (well, he still is) and we all know how concerned drs get when babies don't comply with the expectations. our dr (who i generally like) told me to give him formula, and then nurse him, you know, for comfort. whatevah.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:01 PM   #18
nini02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2cody View Post
Wow. That is so wrong, and she should have been more gentle! I can't believe she forced it till he BLED! What's the matter with her? I wouldn't have been back to see her either, it definitly sounds like she doesn't support your choices.
You're not supposed to retract it AT ALL, not even gently!!!

Our ped told us that he used to see kids DIE all the time from chicken pox, but not anymore now that there's a vaccine. We haven't been back, and no longer do any "well baby" visits...

Stephanie, mommy to Avery and Iona

Swagbucks / ZoomBucks / Varolo
nini02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 04:15 PM   #19
mama2cody
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nini02 View Post
You're not supposed to retract it AT ALL, not even gently!!!

Our ped told us that he used to see kids DIE all the time from chicken pox, but not anymore now that there's a vaccine. We haven't been back, and no longer do any "well baby" visits...
I didn't mean she SHOULD have retracted it, definitly she shouldn't have! I just can't believe that a DOCTOR would FORCE the foreskin until it bled and thought that was ok. What kind of doctor does that??

And I don't buy the whole 'kids died from the chicken pox' bit either. DS isn't going to get that vax because I truly feel it is unnecessary, but I don't think my doctor will give me any flak for it. He's cool like that.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:24 PM   #20
House of Blue
Registered Users
seller

To stop nursing immediately for clogged ducts and a breast infection (that was a walk in Clinic Dr.) My Dr. has told me to let the kids CIO at about 3 or 4 months, I MUST start solids at 4 months, begin meat at 6 months. I'm sure there is more but that's what I can think of off the top of my head.

Last edited by House of Blue; 12-11-2007 at 04:25 PM.
House of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote