Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-11-2007, 08:28 AM   #1
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
What would you do? Carseat related...

I am so confused on what to do here.
My almost 5 year old daughter is almost outgrown in our Britax Marathon. Her shoulders are currently even with the slots. So I cringe each time I put her in praying she hasn't grown. lol
We don't have alot of money extra right now given DD's birthday is day after Christmas. I can swing a Britax Parkway more than likely. I am just not sure that is the best idea. I am thinking about buying a Graco Turbo booster and then saving for a Regent for early next year. But here is my big question how much longer does the 5pt harness go on a regent? My DD is 40ish lbs. So she is right on the borderline of being okay for a non harness as in by the rules lol. Well in KY you only have to be 40 in for no carseat and she is over that.
Let me know your thoughts and expriences please.

Advertisement

Old 12-11-2007, 10:21 AM   #2
mommyfrog
Registered Users

Re: What would you do? Carseat related...

I would get the Regent. My 7 1/2 year old DD who is 65 pounds and 50-51 inches still fits in a Regent with PLENTY of room to grow. Regents are designed for up to 80 pounds and 53 inches. Lots of room for your LO to grow and much safer too. There is a post in the off topic discussion area called "tragic story" you should read.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:28 AM   #3
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyfrog View Post
I would get the Regent. My 7 1/2 year old DD who is 65 pounds and 50-51 inches still fits in a Regent with PLENTY of room to grow. Regents are designed for up to 80 pounds and 53 inches. Lots of room for your LO to grow and much safer too. There is a post in the off topic discussion area called "tragic story" you should read.
Is it 53"?? The Britax site says 60". Either way it probably will last a while. I noticed the sitting slots are 4 in different til maxed.

Yeah I read that post which made my decisions worse. I kept my DD rfing til 22mos and trying my best to keep her in the safest posistion.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:42 AM   #4
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

My 7 1/2 year old is in a Radian65 by Sunshine Kids and it's a 5point harness and she fits perfectly and loves it. It's small enough that she's not embarrassed because it looks like a booster seat but it's got a 5pt harness to keep her the safest. It goes to 65lbs and there's the radian80 as well that goes to 80lbs if you prefer(my kids are teeny little things that probably won't hit 80lbs until they are driving themselves places!). I've got my nearly 3 year old in the exact same seat, just different strap positions.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Sunshine-Kid...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 12-11-2007, 03:27 PM   #5
mommyfrog
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2kaitlyn View Post
Is it 53"?? The Britax site says 60". Either way it probably will last a while. I noticed the sitting slots are 4 in different til maxed.

Yeah I read that post which made my decisions worse. I kept my DD rfing til 22mos and trying my best to keep her in the safest posistion.
Is it 60"? Wow, that's 5 feet tall!! I don't think my 12 year old is 5 feet yet. I don't know, I got my info off of eliteseats.com. Good luck in your decision.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 05:14 PM   #6
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by faerybugmady View Post
My 7 1/2 year old is in a Radian65 by Sunshine Kids and it's a 5point harness and she fits perfectly and loves it. It's small enough that she's not embarrassed because it looks like a booster seat but it's got a 5pt harness to keep her the safest. It goes to 65lbs and there's the radian80 as well that goes to 80lbs if you prefer(my kids are teeny little things that probably won't hit 80lbs until they are driving themselves places!). I've got my nearly 3 year old in the exact same seat, just different strap positions.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Sunshine-Kid...QQcmdZViewItem
I don't see this info on the Sunshine Kids website but maybe you have it since you have one what is the max sitting height? I am just worried about her outgrowing the harness to soon again. kwim?
Old 12-11-2007, 05:15 PM   #7
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyfrog View Post
Is it 60"? Wow, that's 5 feet tall!! I don't think my 12 year old is 5 feet yet. I don't know, I got my info off of eliteseats.com. Good luck in your decision.
I just looked because of the sitting height thing Regent has a standing height max at 53" and Parkway is 60".
Dang all these numbers lol
Old 12-11-2007, 05:21 PM   #8
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My HUGE 9yro can ride in the Regent. He usually rides in the y-86 harness b/c I can't fit another seatt in that row. My 8.5yro is in a Regent with lots of room. My 5yro is in a Radian 65, but the Regent will hold your kid for a couple more YEARS than a Radian.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:21 PM   #9
newmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

IIRC, the top slots on both the Radian 65 and 80 are 18 inches. The Marathon is 17 inches. Because of the way the Radian sits up straight and because the shoulders are allowed to be 1 inch over the slots (although some techs disagree with this), the Radian typically fits kids longer than the Marathon. I believe the top slots on the Regent are 20 or 21 inches.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:02 AM   #10
mgl
Registered Users
seller
seller

I am having the same issue with ds who is not even 4 yet. I am also in Ky, and our laws stink. At ds's 3 yr check his dr said, well, he is 40 lbs and 40 inches tall, so you can put him in a booster now. I don't think so. I think I am going to go with the radian for several reasons. With the one inch over rule, the radian torso hieght is 19" and the regent is 20", I just want to get to 5 in a five point harness. We are planning on having a large family, and would possibly need three across (plus peole are riding with us alot) so the narrower seat would work much better for us. We could most likely work out thw 200 for the radian, but it would be very difficult to swing almost 300 for the regent. I also like that the radian has an 8 year life span, where as the regent is only 6. With dd and dd on the way, I know that we will be able to pass it on even if we were to not have any more. If you want a seat that will last the longest, it is the regent, but with all the other factors added in, for my family the radian will work better.