Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-12-2007, 09:48 AM   #11
mom2riley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What would you do? Carseat related...

The Marathon's top slot is 17 inches, the Radian's top slot is 18 inches (but SKJP allows you to use it FFing one inch above the top slot) and the Regent's top slot is 21 inches. If I were you I would go with a Regent. your DD will have much more growing room in it then any other seat. To switch to a Radian at this point IMHO is a waste of money. The height limits that manufacturers put on car seats are just a guesstimate as to when a child will outgrow the top slot, it is not against the rules to use a seat that your child still fits in properly when they are about the height recommendations. A car seat manufactures has no idea how each child will grow height wise, some kids are all torso and some are all legs.

Advertisement

Leilani '10
mom2riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 10:10 AM   #12
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgl View Post
I am having the same issue with ds who is not even 4 yet. I am also in Ky, and our laws stink. At ds's 3 yr check his dr said, well, he is 40 lbs and 40 inches tall, so you can put him in a booster now. I don't think so. I think I am going to go with the radian for several reasons. With the one inch over rule, the radian torso hieght is 19" and the regent is 20", I just want to get to 5 in a five point harness. We are planning on having a large family, and would possibly need three across (plus peole are riding with us alot) so the narrower seat would work much better for us. We could most likely work out thw 200 for the radian, but it would be very difficult to swing almost 300 for the regent. I also like that the radian has an 8 year life span, where as the regent is only 6. With dd and dd on the way, I know that we will be able to pass it on even if we were to not have any more. If you want a seat that will last the longest, it is the regent, but with all the other factors added in, for my family the radian will work better.
Well atleast your Ped said Booster! Technically by state law they can be in regular seatbelts. My SIL does that with her 7 year old that is 44 or 45 in tall and 44 or 45 lbs one is one and the other is the other lol. My daughter is almost as tall and almost same weight and 2 1/2 year younger. LOL

Wow 8 years! Not sure how comfy I would be trying that one. But to be honest I don't know much about Sunshine kids or radians and am not to sure since I don't know about them. I just don't know about the head thing either. But I keep saying they can't sell here if they weren't within regs so i guess they are safe as much as they say. BTW the Prices I was seeing for both they were within $30 of each other. I saw the Regent as low as $269. And I think the Radian was $239. Regent I know was free shipping.

Plus I need the harness strap as tall as I can I realized last night my DD is only 43 1/2 to 43 3/4 in tall. According to Britax site she should be in the marathon til 49 in. Umm no way. And she has a short torso compared to her legs.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:16 AM   #13
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2riley View Post
The Marathon's top slot is 17 inches, the Radian's top slot is 18 inches (but SKJP allows you to use it FFing one inch above the top slot) and the Regent's top slot is 21 inches. If I were you I would go with a Regent. your DD will have much more growing room in it then any other seat. To switch to a Radian at this point IMHO is a waste of money. The height limits that manufacturers put on car seats are just a guesstimate as to when a child will outgrow the top slot, it is not against the rules to use a seat that your child still fits in properly when they are about the height recommendations. A car seat manufactures has no idea how each child will grow height wise, some kids are all torso and some are all legs.
Exactly. For many reasons I wasn't considering the Radian myself.

I talked with DH and our plan is to keep money back so I can go run and get a new temp one when DD outgrows the marathon officially if it is before we can afford the Regent. Until we can afford the Regent. He doesn't like how it "still looks like a carseat" but he likes the 5pt harness! WHOHOOOOOOOO

Does anyone know if BRU have one in stock? The Radian? Like in stores? I need to call ours and see, i guess. He wants to see one in person before, if possible. We did that with the Marathon see it in person then went online and got the pattern we wanted lol.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:27 AM   #14
mom2riley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

BRU carries both so they may have one, I would call. I just made a pic thread comparing the 2.
Leilani '10
Old 12-12-2007, 10:32 AM   #15
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2riley View Post
BRU carries both so they may have one, I would call. I just made a pic thread comparing the 2.
Thank you so much and tell your son thanks for being a model!

Called our local BRU and they have one in stock but not our print ofcourse cause we are going girly again
Old 12-12-2007, 10:38 AM   #16
mom2riley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Of course you have to go girlie, lol. I am glad they were helpful. DS LOVES to sit in his seats and get pictures taken, lol. When DD's new seat comes he will probably get upset that it isn't his. I wonder where he got his car seat obsession.
Leilani '10
Old 12-12-2007, 12:41 PM   #17
sahminaz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dds must be really short for their age. They are 5.5 and 3.5 and still at the second to last slot on their marathons. Those seats are now in daddy's car for after work pick-ups. They ride in regents in our van and are the botton harness slot. They are barely 31 & 32 lbs though. They could still use their marathons for another year or so. I would save up and go with the regent or radian. Your dd would have to grow a few inches really quickly to outgrow her marathon. If she is right at the harness slot she is fine.