Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-11-2007, 09:20 AM   #1
ck510
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
@ year olds and napping question

At what point does a toddler stop napping? Ds hasn't taken a single nap in 2 months and he is awful!!!! I know the kid is tired but he won't lay down for anything. Is this normal? He gets an hour of quiet time in his room for an hour each day. I tell him he doesn't have to go to sleep but he needs to stay in his bed. He usually reads books or plays with his toys. His temper tantrums are getting unbearable though. Is this just a phase like I thought it was in the beginning? Any suggestions? Oh and he goes to bed at 8 and wakes up at 7:30 if that helps!

Advertisement

ck510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:30 AM   #2
susnrob
Registered Users
seller

Re: @ year olds and napping question

Sorry I can't be of any help there. My boys will be 2 next month. They go to bed at 8pm and wake between 8 and 9am. They also take a nap after lunch for 1.5-3 hours.

They are still in cribs so I'm sure that helps because they can't run around their room.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:36 AM   #3
maggie_may
Happy Knits
seller

My Mood:

My DD was born a day before your DS and Hayden was one of the boy names I picked

Anyway, my DD still naps for 1-2 hours a day. I don't know what I'd do if she stopped. I need her naps! But she doesn't go to bed till 10 and sleeps till 8.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:47 AM   #4
ck510
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 2 year olds and napping question

Yeah I really wish he would nap. I cried when I realised his napping does were more than likely over. We just switched him to a crib last month because he would flip over the railing and hang upside down and it scared me. I kept thinking he would fall on the floor and land on his head. The funny thing is he actually does stay in bed most of the time except to get up and get another book or toy. He is a pretty obedient kid except for the whole sleeping thing. I don't know maybe its just him. He did cut down to one nap at 11 months so maybe he doesn't need as much sleep as other kids?

maggie_may- that is so funny! We had never met anyone with the name Hayden until we named him that and they seemed to pop up everywhere lol. Guess we were following a trend we didn't know about. At least he has a pretty uncommon middle name.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:52 AM   #5
foxygoober
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our ds wont take naps if he sleeps 12 hours . . .however he does get cranky. Now he sleeps from 9-6:30 and takes a 2-3 hour nap. . .this way he isn't cranky in the evening. . . .the only reason we wake him so early is because we are out of the house by 6:45 for work. . . (he eats breakfast in the car, on the weekends he sleeps until 7:30 and wakes on his own, but then takes a shorter nap)
Old 12-11-2007, 11:48 AM   #6
S Starr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

from the book Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child (recommended by my ped): When a child starts to give up naps, put them to bed earlier! Kick the bedtime earlier by 15 minutes a day until they stop being cranky. HTH!
Old 12-11-2007, 11:58 AM   #7
Suzanne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, you won't like this- but my four and a half year old still naps everyday! (and sleeps like a champ at night. . .yeah I know)
Suzanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:02 PM   #8
maggie_may
Happy Knits
seller

My Mood:
Re: 2 year olds and napping question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck510 View Post

maggie_may- that is so funny! We had never met anyone with the name Hayden until we named him that and they seemed to pop up everywhere lol. Guess we were following a trend we didn't know about. At least he has a pretty uncommon middle name.
I can remember where I got Hayden. I liked Hayden and Holden. That mysterious name trend thing....we named our dd Ella thinking we were pretty old fashioned/original but there are tons of Ellas now. They're everywhere!
Old 12-11-2007, 12:18 PM   #9
Kris5135
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Starr View Post
from the book Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child (recommended by my ped): When a child starts to give up naps, put them to bed earlier! Kick the bedtime earlier by 15 minutes a day until they stop being cranky. HTH!
My son was born the same month as yours & we just switched to the big boy bed too . Weird as it sounds the longer the night sleep, the longer & deeper my son naps. If he gets woken up early he takes a short crappy nappy. He has never missed a nap, though. Not once. Are you maybe putting him on quiet time at the wrong times? It is harder for a child to sleep when they are over tired. Do you turn the light out for quiet time? My son can't sleep if a light is on. If he has a hard time getting to sleep I turn the lights off (except the night light that's always on) & give him a quiet toy (a couple of stacking cups or a soft activity book). I tell him he doesn't have to sleep, but he has to stay quiet in bed. He's usually zonked within 5 minutes. Every kid is different though. Some just give it up early.
Kris5135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:22 PM   #10
ck510
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

AGH! I don't think we can put him to bed any earlier! I guess we could try pushing it back a half hour or so.

Suzanne- You don't know how lucky you are. Hayden started sleeping through the night at the lovely age of 15 months. And by sleeping through the night I mean only waking up once or twice. Maybe he just isn't a sleeping kinda kid you know? He has always had sleep problems.

maggie_may- So funny! Ella was a name we were going to use for a girl. Still pretty even if it is common!

Kris5135- Quiet time is at 1:00 when dd takes her afternoon nap. He isn't super tired then just getting cranky. We use room darkening blinds and he has heavy curtains in his room. We turn on a fan too for back round noise.

I guess I'm going to have to get used to it! Thanks for the suggestions. I will definatly try them out!!