Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-11-2007, 11:25 AM   #1
cag25
Registered Users

How do you feel about Transformers toys?

I just found out that my DS's grandparents have bought him and his cousin (they are 5 years old and play together all the time) Transformers for Christmas because that is what my DS's cousin wanted. I was shocked when I heard this, which might sound silly, but I would never in a million years consider buying transformers... they are ugly and have guns in their hands! I'm just not into action figures at all, and neither is my DS... he is a very gentle soul (he actually gets scared of videos like Dora and The Wonder Pets, and we don't watch television.) I really don't want my 5-year-old to start fighting and shooting at things, especially since he hasn't shown any interest in this kind of play... he loves paper airplanes, tractors, and plant-eating dinosaurs.

I want to tell the grandparents "No thanks" on the transformers, and I think that I can explain about the movie being rated PG-13 and how I don't want violent toys in our home.... but I'm a little worried that I'm being nutty.

Any opinions? Am I overreacting or do you think that I have a good point? TIA!

Advertisement

cag25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:35 AM   #2
tinab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do you feel about Transformers toys?

If it is against your beliefs then I would politely say something. My aunt just took the guns away before she even gave them to my cousin, so he didn't even know they had them.
My brother (27) had original transformers and the kid would never dream of touching a gun. He was shooting everything up with the transformers and GI Joes when he was little. Only the bad guys though (GI Joe, Barbie, Transformers and My Little Pony all went on an adventure to save the teachers, kid was very imaginative).
We are gun friendly here, so we don't like our kids to play with them because they are not toys, KWIM? But transformers with little guns are different to me than toy guns with holsters.
Soon to be TTC #3; the final chapter!
Moola Invites
tinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:40 PM   #3
redheadedangels
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Personally i don't find anything wrong w/ transformers (my kids like them) but if your kid is scared of dora and wonderpets i would definitley tell the grandparents that something different would be better for your son. I'm sure they would want him to have something he will actually play with. Since the 2 boys are the same age and play together they probly assumed they would like the same stuff. I have several nephews who are all around the same age and i usually get the same stuff LOL cause its just easier. BUT if one of them didn't care for a particular toy i would definitley get them something else and it wouldn't offend me at all if their parent nicely told me that they would prefer their kid not have that toy.
redheadedangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:57 PM   #4
mum2James&Julia
Registered Users
Formerly: mum2James&Bean
seller

My Mood:

Everyone's beliefs is different... that said, they certainly didn't damage my 21 year old brother who's on his way to becoming a police officer (though I guess, maybe he's still playing with guns ).

I wish I had a choice in this matter. My ds has 7 older cousins that we're very close to (see eachother several times a week) and they're all very into playing with swords, guns etc. The latest fad is light sabres *sigh*. And the most hilarious thing, Most of their parents have their Masters and PHDs in religion (two of my BILs are pastors! ).

Regardless of your beliefs though, just because a kid is more physical and likes to play with guns or swords and loves transformers or other "bad guy" type things (that's why my son calls them ) DOESN'T mean that they're going to turn out any differently than a child who's been raised in a strictly pacifist environment
Old 12-11-2007, 02:01 PM   #5
Bunny
Be strong little marshmallow.
Formerly: s**e**h
seller

I hate them. Mainly because when I was little the Transformer toys I had didn't break within 2 minutes of taking it out of the package. (And I consider myself to be a well adjusted individual!) MY 5 y/o nephew gets one every time FIL takes him to the store. And every time they break within minutes. He hasn't seen the movie because of the rating, but he's got Transformer toys coming out his ears (plus the comic books, those horrible books with the sound effect buttons, and all the spin-off toys as well).

The only upside is they get thrown out as soon as they are broken because DN doesn't want DS to choke on them (even though he is now 2 and doesn't eat things off the floor anymore )

Last edited by Bunny; 12-11-2007 at 02:02 PM.
Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 02:06 PM   #6
lisadoni
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If it's something that your DS won't even like then certainly tell them and give them an alternative idea for a gift. A transformer is all my ds has said he wants for Christmas (the truck). I remember having to watch the cartoon when I babysat as a teen and it was actually a fairly positive story. However, DH got the new movie for his birthday and we watched it without DS. The first half and very end of the movie have far too much "real" violence so we won't let him watch it. I have a feeling the transformer that santa brings him will be in 'truck' mode a lot more then robot mode.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:41 PM   #7
sbolen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My nephew is sort of like your LO. He gets scared watching some things on TV really easily. However, he loves his Transformers.

One thing I just wanted to note though, and I don't want to get in trouble for this.
I know that parents are very concerned about violent toys, and I am too (as far as video games etc.). However, I'm not sure how much it affects you as an adult. As a child, we had play guns and holsters and we used to play war all the time. We always knew the difference between a play gun and real gun, and were never allowed to direct our play guns towards a person. We also played a lot of Atari (although Atari isn't nearly as realistic as today's games). The weird thing is...my brother and I are both pacifists.

As PP said, you can have them get maybe a transformer that turns into a truck or something else that's non-violent?
Old 12-11-2007, 03:28 PM   #8
hippydippymama
Registered Users
seller

DS loves Transformers, and he will probably get some for Xmas. He's got one already.

As far as it making anyone violent...I think it is naturally ingrained in little boys to be violent, no matter how hard you try to shelter them. my mom lives next door to her pastor, who has two sons. They are a VERY Christian family, so there is no violent-TV watching and definitely no toy guns. Yet, when you see them out in the yard playing, they will pick up sticks and point them at each other like guns. It's just their natural "warrior mentality" I guess. Hard to erase thousands of years of conditioning.
hippydippymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 03:37 PM   #9
masonite
Whip Crackin Wagon Driver!
seller

My Mood:

Totally off topic, but your child only likes plant eating dinosaurs?
Old 12-11-2007, 03:45 PM   #10
cag25
Registered Users

Thanks for all of the advice! I'm wondering if maybe I should just let it go and see if its possible that he might like them... or at least use the "I'm-not-sure-he'll-like-them" approach instead of the "they're-too-violent" approach.

And funny enough, he really does like the plant-eating dinosaurs the best... he has a bunch of meat-eaters, too, but they don't get played with as much. I tried to show him "The Land Before Time" movie, and he got scared of the meat-eaters in it, so I think that's why.

Thanks again!
cag25 is offline   Reply With Quote