Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-11-2007, 03:49 PM   #11
mama23boys
Banned
seller

Re: How do you feel about Transformers toys?

do like what we do, thank them for the toy and then after christmas take it back for things you want for him. my mil buys the kids crap loads of clothes but yet we are in longies 95% of the time. does no good to say what we want.

Advertisement

mama23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 03:51 PM   #12
FancifulFanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm not buying ds any and I don't know of anyone who is getting him any but I wouldn't worry too much. He is allllll boy and lots of things get turned into guns, much to my dismay.

Wonder Pets upsets him though - I think it;s the sense of peril that some of the animals are in. kwim?
FancifulFanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 03:53 PM   #13
Grrchurch03
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My ds loves transformers, he thinks they are all great and has even learned how to transform the level 5's, lol. He has several of them, starting with one that my brother bought him. We take the missiles or guns away, mainly bc my dd would want to chew on them or something, but even before he knew what guns were (and I tried very hard to keep him from being exposed to anything like that, tv, movies, etc) he knew what to do with them. Craziness. I should hope no one would question your parenting decisions though. It's your decision, so it should be respected.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:07 PM   #14
mama2cody
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

FWIW, DS is only 5 months old, so Transformers are definitly NOT on our list this year. But my brothers had the old versions when we were growing up, and one of them (I have 3 in that age range, 2 that are too young to remember then) is such a passive person he drives me nuts sometimes, while the other 2 can be (and have been) quite violent and aggressive. Both are starting to settle down now that 1 has a baby and the other has one on the way. Hard to say what makes them how they are. I don't remember our Transformers having guns, and I KNOW we had no toy ones. My mom is totally against them.
On the other side, my SO's family is a hunting family. Everyone has guns, all kinds of guns. Kids are taught how to shoot and hunt early on, and how to SAFELY and PROPERLY handle and use a gun. However, he and his younger brother have been very aggressive and violent to each other and no one else. That too has been non-existent for a long time. We plan to teach our kids about gun safety and responsibility, but I'm still torn about toy guns. I don't want my kids to think of guns as toys. SO said he had toy guns growing up and never thought of his real guns as toys. So I guess it's all in the education of the child, not just what they get for toys.
But I do think if it's against your beliefs, let the grandparents know he won't play with it and see what they say. Offer suggestions for toys he WILL play with.
mama2cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 06:07 PM   #15
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbolen View Post
My nephew is sort of like your LO. He gets scared watching some things on TV really easily. However, he loves his Transformers.

One thing I just wanted to note though, and I don't want to get in trouble for this.
I know that parents are very concerned about violent toys, and I am too (as far as video games etc.). However, I'm not sure how much it affects you as an adult. As a child, we had play guns and holsters and we used to play war all the time. We always knew the difference between a play gun and real gun, and were never allowed to direct our play guns towards a person. We also played a lot of Atari (although Atari isn't nearly as realistic as today's games). The weird thing is...my brother and I are both pacifists.

As PP said, you can have them get maybe a transformer that turns into a truck or something else that's non-violent?
:yeathat: my cousins and I used to pretend we were thieves ALLLLLL the time and we used to "smoke" (straws cut in 1/2) like freight trains, lmao. None of us have done either of those
Old 12-11-2007, 06:23 PM   #16
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

my now 5 yr old LOVES transformers and got 2 for his bday and will be getting some more for christmas.
i really like them too, but then i really loved the movie
i think if you don't like them and dont want your child yto have them then say so and hopefully get him somethign he will want to play with
your not nutty at all, everyone has different feelings on certain things, your totally normal
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:26 PM   #17
Indianamom*2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS is 4 and LOVES Transformers namely Bumblebee. DS has been taught though that guns do NOT get pointed at people EVER and he knows that TF is just a movie and NOT REAL !!!

For his bday we got him Ultimate Bumblebee, Optimus Prime and Bonecrusher and he has never said anything about "killing", "dying", "im going to shoot you" or anything like that.

Now his cousin who is just a few months loder than him... he is a whole other story !
Old 12-11-2007, 10:34 PM   #18
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

I don't like them because they're cheap crap Made in China.

I'd just be honest and tell them that you don't think it's something your son would like.

The original Transformers were so much cooler and not violent. It's too bad they ruined it.
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:02 PM   #19
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbolen View Post
One thing I just wanted to note though, and I don't want to get in trouble for this.
I know that parents are very concerned about violent toys, and I am too (as far as video games etc.). However, I'm not sure how much it affects you as an adult. As a child, we had play guns and holsters and we used to play war all the time. We always knew the difference between a play gun and real gun, and were never allowed to direct our play guns towards a person. We also played a lot of Atari (although Atari isn't nearly as realistic as today's games). The weird thing is...my brother and I are both pacifists.
I agree!

I wouldnt buy them just because they are most likely made in China and I dont buy anything MIC.

Though my kids do have toy guns, they know Daddy has a gun and they play with them ..... I am not too worried about it! They also love wrestling and giving kisses!
Old 12-11-2007, 11:08 PM   #20
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have a problem with the new ones because they are so junky and poorly made, plus most of them aren't really for imaginative play like the old ones were. I do however love transformers and have no problem with them in general, Kearnan watches teh old shows from when I was a kid and loves them, and he has seen the new movie. But it comes down to what you want, he is your child and if you don't want him to have them then let them know that.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote