View Poll Results: Small Daycare or Large Daycare?
Small home daycare (3-4 kids) 14 77.78%
Larger home daycare (6-10 kids) 1 5.56%
Daycare center 3 16.67%
Other (please explain) 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-11-2007, 11:43 AM   #1
whalvo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Day Care Poll

I'm looking for day care in California because we're moving there in February. I'm finding there are so many types of providers! Yikes! Right now dd is in a center and I like it except for that they don't have a separate room for naps (cribs shoved in a corner) and she naps horribly there and proceeds to come home exhausted everyday.

I've found a couple possibilities. One is a very small home day care that seems really nice. the mama serves all organic foods and takes the kids to the park everyday (weather permitting). There are only 3-4 kids there at a time.

The other place is a larger home day care with about 8 kids there at a time. The kids have regular lessons in Spanish and Portuguese. The meals aren't organic, but they're homecooked. The kids are not taken to parks because the mama in charge says it's not "safe".

So my question to you all is this: which do you prefer, larger day care or smaller day care? Why?

ETA: I'm never sure if "day care" is 2 words or 1. Stupid thing, I know, but I'm just explaining my inconsistency here. Sorry!

Advertisement

Last edited by whalvo; 12-11-2007 at 11:47 AM.
whalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:17 PM   #2
foxygoober
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Day Care Poll

Currently our ds is in a small daycare situation. It's him, the sitters son, and one other child. I love it because it is not overstimulating, they don't get sick vary often, and she is very easy to work with. Smaller situations mean your child gets more one on one time.

The downsides . . .ummm I don't have any, but we're lucky to have found someone we really mesh well with.

Oh, yes one downside, she doesn't have stuff for the baby (I'm due in a few weeks), but they are going to look for a stuff at garage sales (they have until March so I'm not too worried)
Old 12-11-2007, 12:18 PM   #3
doberbrat
Registered Users
seller

I liked the *IDEA* of a home dc – someone a little grandmotherly watching my child.

But I will not do an unlicensed provider. And the licensed home providers I found that had openings either took too much vacation time (that I still have to pay them for and find alternative care) or the hours didn’t match what I wanted or had other issues.

In the end, I chose a center b/c of the security system, the cleanliness (NO diseases spread there other than your basic cold), and the consistent staffing. They don’t call me up at 10pm and say, the RedSox are in the playoffs, I’m going to the game tomorrow (happened to my friend) I don’t have to find alternative care for the month of August (one of my possiblities) or 2w in the summer, 1 in winter, all the holidays major & minor plus 3 additional Armenian holidays and her birthday.

Sure I have to stay on top of them and I’m sure I’m the PIA parent but overall, I like them and would recommend them.

I will also say that call me paranoid but, I like the fact that a center always has 2 teachers in 1 room. Call me paranoid but I feel like 1 caregiver w/6 kids could easily *snap* and hurt a child. W/2, the one having the bad day can take a break, or at least knows someone else is watching.
Mamma to the best dd 10/05 and Expecting #2 edd 11/29/09 and 2 furkids!
doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:35 PM   #4
whalvo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Some good points, mamas. Yeah, I'm getting better vibes about the smaller day care. The mama has one helper, so it's a teacher for every 2 kids (wow!). All the places I've looked at are licensed (wouldn't consider otherwise... unless I knew them personally).

Any other opinions?
Old 12-11-2007, 12:47 PM   #5
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

As long is there is additional help from time to time smaller is great. DS is in a small setting with one caregiver. Though her husband, mother, college kids occasionally watch if she needs to leave the room. That being said I don't know HOW often she needs to leave to take something to trash, bathroom, etc. There were many things I know now I wish i'd asked when we first started. My son stays sick, however he's having allergy issues and the other kids don't stay sick. Licensed or not they still have the right to charge what they want. OUrs is not licensed and we pay 1 fee regardless. Which stinks to me because we've had some weeks where he was sick and he only went 1 day. And occasionally she does need time off to take her kids to the doctor or pta meetings and stuff like that. I agree w/ pp about the security system though and better control on some things. My DCP is good about not calling at the last minute - in fact she never has. She at least lets us know a week or more in advance. But still the fact I have to use my vacation time to cover watching DS while babysitter is gone is kind of crappy. But I love the smaller groups. Our DCP came HIGHLY recommended from several people and I just had a gut feeling it would be okay. Sometimes you don't. So far its worked fine. I would like a center though for a few reasons had I to do it over.