Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-11-2007, 02:51 PM   #1
crunchymomof3
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2boys0608
seller

My Mood:
Question Turning a toddler back around .. need tips ..etc and car seat recs ..

So we do not have alot of $ and DS in a graco comfortsport right now that we need to replace .. after all these threads I am considering turning him back around to RF .. what carseat can I get that is not expensive but I can RF him for awhile .. he is 25lbs ? The other issue is that we have a dodge neon and the back window is huge and the sun gets in his eyes .. any ideas how to remedy this ?? He will not always keep sunglasses etc on ...

I guess I will make a list to make it easier .. these are my ??
1. What carseat should I get on a limited budget that can RF longest ? (DS is 25lbs now )
2. How do I block sun from his eyes we have a dodge neon and the back window is huge ?
3. Any tips on how to help him handle being turned back around ?
4. Other advice for this situation ..

Thanks mommas

Advertisement

crunchymomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 03:03 PM   #2
jackie010307
Registered Users
seller

Re: Turning a toddler back around .. need tips ..etc and car seat recs ..

First of all let me say good for you for wanting to turn him rf again!! There are several seats you have to choose from, dending on your budget and how much use you want from the seat. The cosco scenera rf's to 35lbs, but only ff to 40lbs and is usually outgrown by height well before weight. It is $40-$50 at walmart or kmart, but can be found on sale sometimes for around $35. A better option would be the evenflo triumph advance (the advance is very important). It also rf's to 35lbs, but ff's to either 50 or 55lbs. It also has much higher top harness slots for ff than the scenera, so you will get much more use ff out of this seat (until around age 4-5 depending on your child's torso height). It usually costs about $150. As for the sun, the last time I was at BRU they had a window cling that you could cut to size. I don't know how well it sticks as we have never used anything like it. Just remember that you don't want the pull down, rolly shade things. The weight of the shade will not be held by the suction cups in an accident and it will become a projectile. A good rule is that if you can hit yourself in the head with it and it doesn't hurt then it's ok to have in the car (not that you want to stand in the store and hit yourself in the head with things.....people might think you a little crazy ). Also, most kids actually prefer rf to ff. They have a place to rest their feet instead of having their legs hanging over the edge of the seat. I know I would much prefer to have my feet resting on something rather than hanging in the air.....my legs would be asleep in no time!
Old 12-11-2007, 03:05 PM   #3
crunchymomof3
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2boys0608
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMommyof2 View Post
best seat for your money. It rear faces to 35 lbs which is the highest on the US market
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...e128604-rLink5
they have cling on sun blockers the ones with suction cups can be dangerous so i would avoid those. He could learn to close his eyes maybe sleep, LOL we do not have a problem here sorry i am not helpful on this one

I think being turned back around is fun for some kids it's a change in scenery.
thanks
crunchymomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 05:27 PM   #4
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

One of mine was RF in the infant seat for 2 full years little peanut! But then was FF in a crappy forward-only model for a few months while we got things sorted. Then we got a clearanced Cosco Alpha Omega for like $25. Its a crappy seat in a lot of ways, but it RF for a good long time. Most seats now RF to 33-35lbs so look for a higher-weight-harness if you can afford that right now, otherwise any car seat that RF to 34ishlbs will be great, and use this time to save up for a Regent for when you go to FF

Tips on the flip? Just do it. Most kids don't balk at it.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:09 PM   #5
baby1577
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

We have 3 seats, so i'll give you my on each!

Costo Scenera ($35)- We bought this because I wanted DS to rear face to 35lbs. My only complaint about it is that the straps do get twisted easier than our other seats. Also, it was more difficult to get it good and snug in the car. I had to mess with it for 20-30 min. in order to get it as tight and secure as it needed to be.

Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe ($120)- RF to 33 and FF to 55. This is out spare seat that stays in grandma's car. As far as functionality, I like it as much as our Britax. DS prefers the Britax because it has more padding.

Britax Decathlon ($240)- RF to 33 and FF to 65. I love this seat!! It is SO easy to install and use. I've never had a twisted strap, or had to dig a strap out from under his butt. The print is super cool and the padding is awesome. Well worth the money, because they way I look at it, we are spending about .10 a day when you break it down over the 6 years we will use the seat (for different kids).

ETA: No tips for the sun. No idea on that one. Tips for turning him- I say just do it and don't make a big deal about it. If he fusses, say "You have to sit this way. Mommy loves you SO much she wants to keep you the safest she possibly can. That means sitting this way in the car."
I am living the dream selling Plexus! Message me for info about a line of products that can help your family achieve overall wellness. Free shipping for all my DS mamas! Join my team today and find financial freedom! I have! http://shea7.myplexusproducts.com

Last edited by baby1577; 12-11-2007 at 07:13 PM.
baby1577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:46 AM   #6
mgl
Registered Users
seller
seller

You have gotten some great recommendations for seats. I turned dd back rf at 18 months or so, when I learned about the benefits. All I did was turn it around and put her in it. She didn't have any issues with it at all. In fact, ds wanted to go rf too, but he was too big (40 lbs at 3 yr check up). DD is now ff again because she weighs too much to rf.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:04 PM   #7
angel0123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

for the sun you could get one of those sticky plastic car shades... its like a square of cheap window tinting you can wet and stick on... its hard to describe.
For the side I used those roller shade but they hung over the backseat window and rolled up. So no issue of it being projectile.
I never had to use anything for the back the sun always came in at the sides.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:26 AM   #8
abacus2
Registered Users
seller

You've gotten some good suggestions. When you get your new seat, just install it rear-facing next to his current seat and I bet you ds will be very excited to ride in the new backwards seat.