Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-12-2007, 07:35 PM   #11
debmom2boyz
Registered Users
Formerly: n***_n_b**
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: David is gifted!!

My son wasn't as verbal at in his early years. He talked, but not like his counterparts. He's like that now......he'd rather look out the window when we are driving to school than talk. He likes to look at everything...soak it all in! LOL

Oh...I wanted to say.....if David was receiving OT/ST...that shouldn't stop due to his IQ! Two different things!!!!! We had a student who went to self-contained emotional issues...but was gifted. I had a student who received OT/ and was classified as special needs for writing purposes. Actually, I know of several students in the gifted program at our school that go to speech/language (I don't know which...I'm going to think speech). Check that out. His services shouldn't end if he still needs them. KWIM?

Advertisement

debmom2boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:51 PM   #12
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_n_ben View Post
My son wasn't as verbal at in his early years. He talked, but not like his counterparts. He's like that now......he'd rather look out the window when we are driving to school than talk. He likes to look at everything...soak it all in! LOL

Oh...I wanted to say.....if David was receiving OT/ST...that shouldn't stop due to his IQ! Two different things!!!!! We had a student who went to self-contained emotional issues...but was gifted. I had a student who received OT/ and was classified as special needs for writing purposes. Actually, I know of several students in the gifted program at our school that go to speech/language (I don't know which...I'm going to think speech). Check that out. His services shouldn't end if he still needs them. KWIM?
he did got an evaluation too for speech and he needs to score 70% or below, he is right now at 82%. that is why he doenst even qualify for speech now. his only problem now is articulation they say , which they dont worry now cuz he is young still (4.5). thanks for the concern though too sweet. and yes david is like that, he loves to 'study' people, is amazing how he just soaks up and just look at people LOL
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:32 PM   #13
Distinctive Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: shandyms
seller

My Mood:

That's awesome, Sandy!!
Old 12-12-2007, 11:13 PM   #14
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

We homeschool. Neither of the two we school right now have been formally tested, but I am quite certain they are both gifted. We just follow their leads. My daughter was writing her name and new all her letters at 3, so it was natural for her to start reading at 4. She reads a few levels ahead of her grade. I don't know where she stands as far as math. We use Math-U-See because she needed something visual. We tried just doing it and it was a disaster. Once we got the MUS she started to catch on. She's not a real big worksheet kid, though we do a few worksheet things. Our science this year is based in art projects -- painting on wet paper to learn about diffusion, for instance. She's in 2nd grade, BTW. Our son will be 5 in February and he is doing single digit addition because he wanted to do math. He goes to speech therapy and now that he can pronounce some of those letters he couldn't before, we're going to start reading in about a month or so. I was waiting on the reading until he could speak better, and was toying with the idea of waiting until next year, but he's been trying to sound things out and pointing out what words start with, so I think he's ready now. The biggest key is just to follow your child's cues. If you get a curriculum that looks wonderful and your kid is bored and doesn't ever want to do schoolwork, change it. Easier said then done, I know. Good luck! While I have heard parents speak of how they wished they had gotten a gifted child instead of an average child, they don't realize that it is often more difficult for a gifted child, as they usually are uneven in their strengths, whereas an average child is more likely to be better rounded. Gifted certainly doesn't mean better, which I'm sure you know. Just wanted to throw a heads-up your way that you might face some rude people at some point.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:38 AM   #15
S Starr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What fun to have someone else say something to totally validate your pride in your child! Yay!
Old 12-13-2007, 08:44 AM   #16
MomSmoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thank you for this! My oldest son is 2 and has been in OT and ST since he was about 20 months. It is so nice to hear about these great outcomes when you worry that your kid will always be behind the curve.

WTG David!!

Thanks again.
MomSmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 01:53 PM   #17
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

thank you
and thanks for the advice about HS
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:37 PM   #18
debmom2boyz
Registered Users
Formerly: n***_n_b**
seller
seller

My Mood:

My friend had to come to terms with her son needing OT services. Then last year they wanted to test him for ADD. They actually did, but the testing/observations showed he didn't have it.

My friend is....how do I put this, because I don't mean it in a bad way....always had things come easy to her. She graduated with honors in both hs and college. She did her work, she just didn't struggle to get the grades.

I've told her numerous times that it's ok, it's not the end of the world. They actually were here at Thanksgiving. After observing her boys (she has 3...just turned 8, 6 and 3.....all just turned to the new age). WOW!!! My house was full of boys! Anyway...I mentioned to her that she should seek/ask about screening for gifted..for both of her oldest boys.

I didn't tell her that Nathan tested into the program. He told her one day...that he went to Ms. $%^ class.

Ok..my long winded point.......just because they have OT/ST....doesn't mean that they aren't smart/talented/gifted. I do know though, that we as parents are concerned for our children. I actually did think my oldest had language issues......which he doesn't. LOL
debmom2boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:41 PM   #19
RockinClothBunz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Auntie to Trentin 5-31-09
RockinClothBunz is offline   Reply With Quote