Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-12-2007, 02:25 PM   #1
hapaness
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What is wrong with my kid??

He has this major issue with pants that are too long (that touch his feet) and with longs sleeves also...he pitches an absolute fit if they dont fall just right. The other day I tried putting a jacket on him because it was raining and he had a total meltdown in the Walmart parking lot. I even had to cut the feet of of his fleece PJ's. Is he just weird??

Advertisement

hapaness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:39 PM   #2
mama2cody
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What is wrong with my kid??

Have you had him evaluated for things like OCD, or autism, or even sensory disorders? I'm not diagnosing, but I know that behaviors like that can come from certain disorders. :twocents:
mama2cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:53 PM   #3
mommyfrog
Registered Users

I don't know, but if there is something wrong with him, there must be something wrong with my kids too. They all have their weird little things about footed PJs, wearing socks to bed, not wearing socks to bed, tags in shirts, and even long sleeves!! Something wrong? Don't know. Common? I like to think so.(Or my kids are weirdos!!)
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:22 PM   #4
ceilismom
Registered Users
seller

I don't think there is anything wrong with him. Some kids (and even adults) have sensory issues, and it sounds like your DS may be one of them. My DH is like that too. Can't stand the "greasy" feeling of lotion, so his hands and feet are like sandpaper all the time. Can't stand if his socks start to fall down and bunch up in his shoes. Has to have the house like an oven at night so his "head doesn't get cold". It could mean that something else is going on with him, but I'd just watch for any other issues before worrying too much about it.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:05 PM   #5
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:

Dh still refuses to wear turtle necks because he swears they make him feel like he's choking. I think some people just don't like certain things and I know with my kids the more you fight it the worse it gets. I guess he can just wear socks to bed to keep his feet warm.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:15 PM   #6
dakarimom5
Registered Users

My Mood:

My 9 yo has mild OCD. Last year I had to send a note to school explaining that yes, he did own more then 3 shirts but he would only wear hoodies. He also only wears socks on Fridays. HE can't stand the toe seam, but for me he will wear them on Fridays.
My 6yo won't wear shirts that button. I think it's because he's not quite able to button yet.
My 4yo wears his underwear backwards...he says they "feel" better that way.
My 16yo doesn't match his socks...even when he wears shorts!!! I think he's the strangest of them all!!
dakarimom5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:25 PM   #7
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think anything is wrong with him. Yes, it is a behavior associated with SID, OCD, etc. but I know lots of kids that do that. The little boy I watched was the worst! And he's "normal." My son does it too, but to a lesser extent, and mostly just with too long long sleeves.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:13 PM   #8
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

I have a nephew going through that right now too. He's almost two. I wonder if it's because they live in AZ and he isn't used to wearing long sleeves, pants or shoes with socks.

My little brother was the worst though. He refused to wear anything with buttons. My mom said that after church he'd jump out of the car and be naked by the time he hit the front door. He wouldn't wear anything but jersey athletic shorts until junior high. He's 20-something now and completely normal... and borderline stylish.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:15 PM   #9
heluvsme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It may be sensory issues...but he could outgrow it. My dd Anna was like this with socks and undies. Everything bugged her and we went through so many different kinds!!! Ack. She is 7 now and although certain things still bother her she is much more relaxed.

But now my 4 yo is starting in on the same issues with her socks!!!
Old 12-13-2007, 05:24 PM   #10
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

How old? My almost 4yo has fits like that sometimes. I think it's fairly normal.