Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-12-2007, 02:41 PM   #1
carnalcindd
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We got "fired" from our ped today

I got a letter in the mail saying that our views were too different and he was uncomfortable more than one time when we went to see him. I think it is my right as a parent to question the Dr whenever I want. Obviously he doesn't agree. I thought he was an OK Dr, and that I kept my mouth shut a lot when I wanted to say stuff.
I talked to my parents about it and they said they understand why since I have so many "rules" about things. They said since I do so many things differently I should just be quiet about it. I feel so confused right now because I feel like all of the ideas I have are what is best for ds and I like to tell others since they may not know about them (the benefits of cosleeping, babywearing, cding, bfing, etc.). I have already gotten my self in trouble with dh's boss (he has a son a bit younger than ds) asking why they were supplementing with formula when his wife was doing so well bfing.
Maybe I just don't know how to talk to ppl in a way that doesn't sound judgmental?

Advertisement

Old 12-12-2007, 02:45 PM   #2
*Katherine*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: We got "fired" from our ped today

I had a ped tell me that we were probably not suited for their office because we didn't want to give the Varicella vax Think of it as a good thing I have learned to only give my views when asked
Old 12-12-2007, 02:46 PM   #3
sahminaz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Don't be mad mama. That doctor just feels insecure about himself with all your debate and/or questioning. Igore it and move on. If you do have a different POV on things, this isn't the first time you may get some conflict.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:46 PM   #4
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You hired him... he was hired help, nothing more. He didn't like your rules and I'm sure you're better off with him gone. Now you can find a doc that appreciates your wants, thoughts, and ideas without the guilt of getting rid of that other doc that definitely didn't sound appreciative of a mom that's involved with their babe's medical treatment.

Don't feel bad!!!

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:47 PM   #5
topazdodge
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

WTH?

I am in disbelief. The nerve of some people. I hope you have access to other Pedis in your area, hopefully they will be more intelligent.

Free Crochet Longies Instructions Here
topazdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:49 PM   #6
mommyfrog
Registered Users

Well...hmmm. I guess maybe it's for the best. I would ask for references from other people in your area who have similar parenting styles and like their pediatrician. Or find a natropathic physician. They are usually more likely to have the same views on these things as you or at least respect your decisions more. Natropathic physicians go through all the same schooling as regular physicians plus more for the natropathic part. I don't use one myself, I just got lucky finding a great pediatrician who respects me and my decisions as a mother.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:50 PM   #7
heluvsme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow. We've had told 4 docs at our ped practice that we won't vax and even though they may argue, they've never "fired" us. Sheesh! I hope you can find a doc who is more friendly, mama
Old 12-12-2007, 02:59 PM   #8
ferrferr
Banned
seller

My Mood:

We got "fired" from our first OB/GYN because my boyfriend made them replace the cover on the internal ultrasound machine in our presence. The next visit he did a ruff and gruff exam then took us into his office and was like "my wife (whom is his assistant) saw what was going on immediately and it took longer for it to sink in for me ... blah blah blah .. last visit with me, our views are too different ... blah blah". He was the self proclaimed "king of sections" and had told us not to make a birth plan because I would end up with a c-section if I did.

I ended up finding a wonderful midwife who I saw when I was 19 weeks. I went in and to my surprise she got me in for my ultrasound that day! She's amazing and I love her to bits. I went 8 days past my EDD with Chunker, I know the other OB would have been like "omg section!". And who knows how good my breastfeeding relationship with DD#2 would have been. My MW saw her trying to root and snatched her from the nurse saying "this baby's hungry, you can wait for your exam" and promptly put Chunker to the breast.

Sometimes being fired from a doctor is the best thing.
ferrferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 03:17 PM   #9
wimama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You are better off finding a doctor who will support your views.

I have a mainstream pediatrician, but I chose the youngest doctor in the group, who also happens to be a woman.

We vax on schedule that is our choice. No flames please.

But, she has been supportive of all our decisions. She is a mom herself and her son is only a little older than ours.

She admires our CD. I had her close to converting one day.

She told me I could flip ds carseat forward facing. I tolding we were waiting until he reached the limits of RF for our seat. She said "ok, rearfacing is safer".

When dh went to his 15 month appoimtment, he told her I was still breastfeeding ds. She told him that was fine and we shouldn't stop until mom or baby was ready to stop.

And my fav, when ds had a thrush and a yeast rash from antibiotics, she suggested probiotics. I told here we were already using them.

So, my point is find a doc that will be supportive of your parenting decisions. I chose a younger doc, in hopes that she would be more supportive of breastfeeding and more open to newer parenting ideas.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:26 PM   #10
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Everyone is entitled to their own views, etc & I think I would rather have a doc that was comfortable treating us than one that wasn't. Think of it as a good thing - now you can seek out someone that is more suited to your family's desires.

And I don't think that it's bad to advocate your choices of parenting as long as they aren't forced/pushed onto others (like the my way or the highway type folks).