Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-12-2007, 03:41 PM   #11
hippydippymama
Registered Users
seller

Re: We got "fired" from our ped today

Wow, what an @sshat. I never knew different views would be such a big deal.

You didn't get fired...he quit! Good! Let him go spread his closemindedness around with other patients instead!

Advertisement

hippydippymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 03:51 PM   #12
mama2madj
Registered Users
seller
seller

I did too a few weeks ago well the office manager did anyways, even threatened CPS :eyeroll: all because i didnt give jo the vit k or eye ointment, apparently thats putting other children at risk
i do doubt the ped had much to do with it...he was always very open to my differentness and even complimented when i told him we didnt do those things, that i actually take the time to learn about and know these things....but alas...were in pedi limbo (and being medicaid it's not too easy to find peds)
Old 12-12-2007, 04:03 PM   #13
clothdiaperingmoma
Banned
seller

My Mood:

I would say you are better off without him as your dr, if he doesnt see eye to eye with you on what you believe then why have him to begin with? Now you are open to find a dr that believes in what you believe in. I loved our old ped, I wish he moved with us. Goodluck in finding your new doctor.
clothdiaperingmoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:22 PM   #14
mama2cody
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I gotta say, I am so thankful for my doctor. He's our whole family doctor, so he knows us as a family, not just focusing on what the baby 'should' have or get. He's really cool. And yeah, he's the youngest doctor there too. I hate hearing about doctors that think they know what's best for someone. They aren't God.
mama2cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:25 PM   #15
cakeums
Registered Users
Formerly: mn***r
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimama View Post
You are better off finding a doctor who will support your views.

I have a mainstream pediatrician, but I chose the youngest doctor in the group, who also happens to be a woman.

We vax on schedule that is our choice. No flames please.

But, she has been supportive of all our decisions. She is a mom herself and her son is only a little older than ours.

She admires our CD. I had her close to converting one day.

She told me I could flip ds carseat forward facing. I tolding we were waiting until he reached the limits of RF for our seat. She said "ok, rearfacing is safer".

When dh went to his 15 month appoimtment, he told her I was still breastfeeding ds. She told him that was fine and we shouldn't stop until mom or baby was ready to stop.

And my fav, when ds had a thrush and a yeast rash from antibiotics, she suggested probiotics. I told here we were already using them.

So, my point is find a doc that will be supportive of your parenting decisions. I chose a younger doc, in hopes that she would be more supportive of breastfeeding and more open to newer parenting ideas.
DD's ped is very similar to yours. We also chose one of the younger doctors in the practice (she can't be more than early 30's and there's another around the same age, whom I also like a lot) and she just had her 2nd DS. She is awesome, loves our CD's, is very receptive to my questions, was thrilled when I wasn't feeding solids yet at 4 months (her opinion is to wait at least 6 months), and every time I mention that I'm still BF'ing, she says that it's fantastic.
cakeums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:29 PM   #16
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CottonMamma View Post
Everyone is entitled to their own views, etc & I think I would rather have a doc that was comfortable treating us than one that wasn't. Think of it as a good thing - now you can seek out someone that is more suited to your family's desires.

And I don't think that it's bad to advocate your choices of parenting as long as they aren't forced/pushed onto others (like the my way or the highway type folks).
I agree!! It is probably better for both of you!!
Old 12-12-2007, 04:35 PM   #17
Eli Poist
Registered Users

My Mood:

We interviewed several pediatricians while pregnant to make sure we found one that fit our views and lifestyle but also had the best interest of our child at heart.
As for vaccines, depending on the state you live in (California here) the "rules" are different and in some cases put the MD at risk for not adhereing to them. We also had 27 different tests done on our son at birth due to California regulation. We didn't have a choice about the tests BUT we did have a choice in how they were done and when.

Our pediatrician took a month to "understand" cloth diaper covers (cracked me up the first time he saw one) and to understand my concerns about vaccines and antibiotics. He is however VERY PRO-BREASTFEEDING after 12+ months of breast feeding my son is incredibly healthy. Pediatrician agreed that his immune system was good enough that my son didn't need flu or variacella at the time. He does push but I push back with the understanding he is trying to do what is best.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:35 PM   #18
ClothMom
Banned

My Mood:

Have you considered a homeopathic MD? They are medical doctors who are trained in alternative medicine!
We have one who is family practice, and he is great! He asked us on our first well baby visit if we were planning on vaccinating or not! He told me it was my choice, and to do my research, that's it!

Whatever you choose to do for a doctor, I recommend trying to find one with similar views! Good Luck!
ClothMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:50 PM   #19
jackie010307
Registered Users
seller

I agree with everyone, you are better off with a new pedi. Our pedi doesn't actually share his own views, but he does respect ours. He listens to all of our concerns, he does of course add the medical stuff they are supposed to tell you, but he lets us be the final decision makers on our child's care. He loves our cloth diapers, but watching him try to put back a prefold with a snappi is probably the funniest thing I've seen in a long time!! Honestly, I would call around and set up interviews with several doctors. Talk to them about your beliefs, concerns, and wishes for the care of your little one. You might not find someone who is totally on board with everything you want, but as long as they respect your right to make the final decisions then I would say give them a try! I would make it understood that you do not make any decisions without first looking at the issue from several sides and getting all of the facts you can. Oftentimes I think doctors assume that parents have heard one or two bad experiences and based their opinion on those. Make sure you let doctors know that you do not do that!
Old 12-12-2007, 04:59 PM   #20
kymdenise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrferr View Post
We got "fired" from our first OB/GYN because my boyfriend made them replace the cover on the internal ultrasound machine in our presence. The next visit he did a ruff and gruff exam then took us into his office and was like "my wife (whom is his assistant) saw what was going on immediately and it took longer for it to sink in for me ... blah blah blah .. last visit with me, our views are too different ... blah blah". He was the self proclaimed "king of sections" and had told us not to make a birth plan because I would end up with a c-section if I did.

I ended up finding a wonderful midwife who I saw when I was 19 weeks. I went in and to my surprise she got me in for my ultrasound that day! She's amazing and I love her to bits. I went 8 days past my EDD with Chunker, I know the other OB would have been like "omg section!". And who knows how good my breastfeeding relationship with DD#2 would have been. My MW saw her trying to root and snatched her from the nurse saying "this baby's hungry, you can wait for your exam" and promptly put Chunker to the breast.

Sometimes being fired from a doctor is the best thing.
I LOVE THAT!!!!
Cautiously expecting number 5 in October
kymdenise is offline   Reply With Quote