Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-13-2007, 08:53 AM   #1
myall4him2
Loving Touch Wet Bags
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
How do you explain the concept of "your shadow" to a 22 month old

She has discovered it today and is absolutely terrified of it!

In a way it's hilarious , but it's not funny that's she scared of it, ya know?

We were walking out side today and we were walking away from the sun, so her shadow was right in front of her. We were walking all nicely and suddenly to jolted to a stop, just as I would if I had saw a snake or something. She starts backing up and starts running and screaming into the ditch (not big at all, slight slope), meanwhile she's looking behind her at this "thing" following her! She was absolutely panicked!

How do you explain to an almost 2 year old about her shadow? In words and concepts she'll understand? Did your little ones react at all to their shadows?

Advertisement

myall4him2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:18 AM   #2
S Starr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do you explain the concept of "your shadow" to a 22 month old

Kids are funny! Mine hasn't noticed her shadow yet (we're in gray Oregon), so I'm glad for the warning. <g> Maybe you can try setting up a bright light inside and show her how to make shadow animals (like birds flying - wrists crossed, 'waving' hands)? I think I'd also show that you have a shadow also. Maybe you can wave to your shadow and talk about how nice it is to have a shadow friend on sunny days?
Old 12-13-2007, 10:30 AM   #3
myall4him2
Loving Touch Wet Bags
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Starr View Post
Kids are funny! Mine hasn't noticed her shadow yet (we're in gray Oregon), so I'm glad for the warning. <g> Maybe you can try setting up a bright light inside and show her how to make shadow animals (like birds flying - wrists crossed, 'waving' hands)? I think I'd also show that you have a shadow also. Maybe you can wave to your shadow and talk about how nice it is to have a shadow friend on sunny days?
Hey! Thanks for the suggestions! I've tried doing my own shadow...she laughed and then got down to walk across the room, saw her shadow and got scared again...
She's constantly looking behind her, and all around herself when she's walking b/c she's so scared...my poor girl..

Old 12-13-2007, 11:55 AM   #4
myall4him2
Loving Touch Wet Bags
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Please help mamas...this is really a problem for us!

Old 12-13-2007, 12:12 PM   #5
TieNappyQueen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have always read My Shadow from a Childs Garden of Versus and when he reliezed what it was in real life, about that age, it made sense to him andI think it was the poem. In the book we have it has great pics as well. ( cardboard book from walmart or something.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:28 PM   #6
S Starr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by myall4him2 View Post
I've tried doing my own shadow...she laughed and then got down to walk across the room, saw her shadow and got scared again... She's constantly looking behind her, and all around herself when she's walking b/c she's so scared...my poor girl..
Poor little one! Hopefully it will be a short phase. hugs to you both!
Old 12-13-2007, 09:38 PM   #7
heidisue
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm sorry - but that is so funny and cute

Maybe make shadow people - we do that with 3/4 yr olds so she is a little young but it might work. Get some chalk and pair up with her so she can trace your shadow and you trace hers
heidisue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:35 PM   #8
S Starr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

One more thought. My dd loves carrying around her bulb syringe -- which she hates -- because it makes her feel in control of it. Maybe you can show your dd how to control her shadow? light/dark (stepping into the shade), turning corners to get out of the light, movement....?
Old 12-14-2007, 04:55 AM   #9
jenn79
Registered Users

i remember ds 'discovering' his shadow, around 18mo. he was mildly afraid at first...but not super (i know it's scary for your dd, but i can't help she's so sweet...). I can't remember EXACTLY what i did, but there was def. some immediate 'intervention' on my part b/c he had a propensity to being afraid of stuff & boy would it stick w/him...ugh.

anyway, i think i did that whole "make appear/dissapear" thing. it was spring when he discovered it, so our trees provided lots of shade to "hide" the shadow in. & i know it sounds way over their heads, but i also gave the "scientific" explanation, how the sun makes it happen & pointed up to the sun, showing how it was shining on our bodies, which were blocking the sun from shining on the ground, just like the trees are doing (!! I made a big deal about how we were doing the same thing as the trees..he thought that was "pretty cool mama"). we then proceeded to spend the afternoon "stomping" on each other's shadows...lol. it never ceases to amaze me how much he actually understands when i explain it to him.

aww... to dd. this will be a great story to tell her when she's bigger. ds is only 3 & he loves to hear funny stories about when he was little.
jenn79 is offline   Reply With Quote