Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-13-2007, 11:32 AM   #1
SimplyGreen
Registered Users
seller

Is it too cold outside for an 8month old???

Ok so I'm in Wisconsin and am getting a bad case of cabin fever. I would love to go for a walk but how cold is to cold for my 8 month old to be outside? and for how long?? I know this is a dump question but my mother is telling me no way should go but 5 min outside even if its 30 degrees and not windy. This is my first child so the nervous mother in me is taking over I don't want him to get frost bit but I have a snow suit for him and hat and mittens and our stroller has a weather shield so is there is any such breeze its covered. Or what about putting him in a front carrier zipped up in my coat??
What has everyone else done?? Thanks for the help mamas!!!

Advertisement

SimplyGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:25 PM   #2
mommyfrog
Registered Users

Re: Is it too cold outside for an 8month old???

I think he would be fine bundled up and in the stroller with a weather cover. Think about eskimo babies!! Just kidding, kind of. There are plenty of places in the world where it is really cold and they just bundle the babies up and take them out. They don't get sick from the cold and as long as you don't keep them out long enough to get frost bite, they will be just fine. I actually watched a really good rescue or survival kind of show not to long ago. The people got stranded in the middle of nowhere in the freesing cold and snow. They bundled the baby up and put him in/on a sleeping bag zipped inside a garment bag and pulled him behind them while they hiked out. Both the parents got frost bite, but the baby was fine besides a little dehydration. Get out and get a little fresh air, the baby will be fine!!
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:53 PM   #3
pigletmsu
Registered Users

I live in Michigan, so similar weather. I have always taken my babies out on walks in the winter when the sun is up (so around 30 degrees). I put them in a snow suit, a hat under the snow suit hood, and then tuck blankets around them if they are in the stroller.

If I am going to carry them in the front pack, I will bundle them up the same, stick them in the carrier and then zip my coat up over them. After a 30 minute walk my baby, if anything, is overheated. I say get out there. The front carrier might be better so that they are facing you and they are not breathing in as much cold air.
pigletmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:55 PM   #4
Suzanne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I worked at a preschool for the first 4 years of DS#1's life, and nearly a year of DS#2's life. We took the kids outside twice a day, unless it was raining, or reeeeally cold out. Bundle that baby up and get some fresh air, it will do you both good
Suzanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:13 PM   #5
Griffinsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've had Griffin out every day of his life so far. He has his morning nap in the stroller while I hike with the dogs. I'm in Northern Canada so it's been -20C which is below 0 F and he loves it and stays warm. I dress him really warmly and keep him out of the wind. As a sahm, I'd go bonkers if I didn't get out everyday. I need the sunshine
Griffinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:28 PM   #6
SimplyGreen
Registered Users
seller

Thank you so much mamas!! We are looking forward to our first winter walk tomarrow!! Its so refreshing to hear I no longer need to be a prisoner in my own home just because I have an infant!! (try telling that to my mother in law) Thanks again mamas!! We will be on cross country skis in no time!!
SimplyGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 06:24 AM   #7
HaleysMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thank you for posting this -- I was wondering the same thing. I've been in the house since Tuesday...
HaleysMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 06:48 AM   #8
Kris5135
Registered Users
seller

The only thing you need to worry about is wind. As long as they are dressed properly they are fine. My son was born in October, so he spent his infancy going for walks in the winter. I was more worried about the warm places (Target, grocery store) because of all the germs, than I was with the cold. It's healthier for them to get fresh air & sunlight. I've also read that exposing them to sunlight also helps get their internal clocks worked out earlier too (doing most of their sleeping at night)... bonus!
Kris5135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:30 AM   #9
dacoda
Registered Users

Ditto the others who said to get outside and enjoy the fresh air! Dress properly and the both of you will be fine. Layers for the both of you and check little hands and feet on a regular basis to make sure they're staying warm. Wool is wonderful . . . my kids have always wore wool toques, mitts and socks outside and we've never had a problem w/any extremities getting cold.

I live in the Prairies of Canada. Winters here are COLD. We woke up to -30C/-22F this AM with a forecasted high of -13C/8F. As long as the combined temp/wind chill factor isn't below -20C/-4F, we get outside every day to play and get fresh air. Been doing this since DS was an infant and I'll be doing the same w/the baby next winter. I've always put the baby facing me in the Moby and zip up my coat over it for the first few minutes outside. I've found if I keep the coat zipped up any longer, both baby and I would start roasting. Now an infant can't stay out as long as my ODS but you get my drift. I like to think it gets them used to our harsh winters. If we stayed inside anytime the temp dropped below freezing, we'd be inside from October to March. I go absolutely bonkers if I don't get out of the house in some way, shape or form on a daily basis!

ETA: You'll probably find that your LO will sleep better after getting some of that refreshing crisp air. Always an extra incentive to get outside!
SAHM to the dude (03/03) and missy (06/05) and with #3 (mid-May 08)

Last edited by dacoda; 12-14-2007 at 08:33 AM.
dacoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 10:37 AM   #10
doberbrat
Registered Users
seller

Dd was a late Oct baby. We were also going out for walks and to the dog park in 15deg weather when she was a week old. I put her in her little fleece snow suit, stuck her in a pouch under my jacket and off we went. I kept an eye on her face making sure it didn’t get TOO cold, but she never complained about being uncomfortable and her body was always toasty warm when I pulled her out to buckle her into the carseat.
Mamma to the best dd 10/05 and Expecting #2 edd 11/29/09 and 2 furkids!
doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote