Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-13-2007, 06:32 PM   #1
remrath
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
HELP! DD doesn't want to BF (6 mo. old)

We've been doing great until recently. Since I've started her on solids she has been decreasingly BF. She has 4 "meals" a day and I was just doing one solids. She started waking up at night again (she self-night weaned) hungry!

So tonight it didn't seem like she ate a lot so 1/2 hr later I gave her ~4 oz with rice cereal (a lot since I make it the consistency of oatmeal!). Wanted more. 2 more oz... Long story short, she devoured 6oz of milk with rice cereal, and 5 oz of carrots

She didn't want to eat but she just put away that much? And she gave me her undivided attention until she started getting full on the last few bites.

When she nurses she goes suck suck suck, then pulls off, looks at it, pinches it and repeats the whole process.

What do I do? I'm determined to go one year and I don't want to pump all the time!

Advertisement

Wife to Nick, 10 years now. Mom to Lydia (c/s) 6/6/07, Arwen (HBAC) 6/3/09, Silas (HBAC) 7/2/12 and Archer HBAC 10/15/14. Jesus loving, CDing, BFing, non vaxing , homeschooling SAHM who loves my new community is Spring Hill, TN
remrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:21 PM   #2
mum2James&Julia
Registered Users
Formerly: mum2James&Bean
seller

My Mood:
Re: HELP! DD doesn't want to BF (6 mo. old)

It sounds like she's getting into the habit of filling up on solids rather than breastfeeding. That's hard. Some kids just really really love their solids and get frustrated that the boob isn't giving them the instant gratification that they want.

I'd be making sure you're nursing her in a quiet place where she doesn't have any distractions and always prior to feeding her solids. If you have a pump, I'd even consider starting to pump for 10 mins once or twice a day to try to stimulate more milk production and taking fenugreek/blessed thistle, eating oatmeal, etc. If your production is higher, your letdown will likely be faster and she might not be as frustrated.

Of course, I'm just speculating... there's a bajillion different reasons she might not be taking the boob. I just think these are the most likely.

I think you're right about the night nursing though and that it's probably a response to not getting enough milk during the day. On the other hand, she might just be going through a phase and needing the extra comfort (teething, etc?).

These babies are such mysterious creatures aren't they?

Good luck!
Old 12-13-2007, 07:40 PM   #3
remrath
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

thanks, maybe we'll go somewhere quieter and dim lights to nurse. She's more than likely not night nursing for comfort. She has yet to nurse for comfort. She much prefers the paci for that. She used to scream bloody murder if you tried to give her boob and she wasn't hungry.
Wife to Nick, 10 years now. Mom to Lydia (c/s) 6/6/07, Arwen (HBAC) 6/3/09, Silas (HBAC) 7/2/12 and Archer HBAC 10/15/14. Jesus loving, CDing, BFing, non vaxing , homeschooling SAHM who loves my new community is Spring Hill, TN
remrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:04 PM   #4
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

It sounds like she is eatting a lot of solids for 6months. I would be sure to nurse her first before giving solids!
Old 12-14-2007, 01:10 AM   #5
mayrain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calideedle View Post
It sounds like she is eatting a lot of solids for 6months. I would be sure to nurse her first before giving solids!
yeah, i agree..i always nurse before offering solids cause i think they are mostly for fun and experimentation at that age and before one year, breastmilk should(ideally) be the primary food source.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:56 AM   #6
tinab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Solids should be less than 25% of baby's diet before 1 year old. I would give less solids, especially since the solids don't give baby enough of the good fats they need.
Soon to be TTC #3; the final chapter!
Moola Invites
tinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 10:09 PM   #7
sapphos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with all three of the previous poster's responses. And you might be surprised, the night nursing could be comfort for teething or wanting to eat. Also you said she self weaned? how did that happen? was there a change in how you were sleeping with her? just curious