Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-13-2007, 07:37 PM   #1
MandyLee
Registered Users
seller

Angry If one more person tells me I'm starving my child...

Seriously, I'm getting really tired of hearing it. My MIL just called to "check in", and I ended up hearing about how my milk isn't strong enough for her anymore...What?? What does that even mean ?!?! I'm giving her solids, but slowly, and I'm letting her set the pace. We're trying once a day; sometimes she eats quite a bit, other times she takes 2 bites. I'm ok with that. She's still nursing beautifully, is gaining weight, and is a very happy baby. Isn't that what matters? Why do they care? She also asked how she's been sleeping lately. I told her she's been doing much better. Last night she was only up once and went right back to sleep after nursing for about 5 minutes (I was so excited! ). She said, "She's old enough that she shouldn't be getting up at all, If you would just give her some real food right before bed."
My DH's grandmother likes to tell me about how I'm doing things wrong because it's not the way she did things with her child. She gave her DD (DH's mom) formula made with PET milk, water, and Karo syrup . She started solids before a month old . Ummmm..hello...that was 50 years ago . I'm know I'm doing the best thing for my DD; I just needed to vent. Thanks for listening

Advertisement

Old 12-13-2007, 07:39 PM   #2
kannondicarpo
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: If one more person tells me I'm starving my child...

My little man is a month older than you little one and he is not on any solids. I know it is so hard to ignore people's comments but just continue to do what you know is right.

ETA: I suppose if she were my MIL she would be horrified to know that Nikolas still wakes atleast twice, but more like 4 times a night.

Charlene Keala || 9.27.10, Zakary Michael || 10.25.12 & Baby "Momomi" || October 2014 ~

Loving life on the Big Island!
kannondicarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:43 PM   #3
blossomgoat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

glad to listen. My mum tells me the same sorts of things. "You and your sister started solids by 4 weeks, so why can't she have cheerios at 4 months?" Let's not go into the fact that she hasn't had any wheat, much less anything crunchy and chokey!

And my MIL insisting that DD have bottles of water "so she doesn't get constipated." DD was EBF until after 6 months and constipated was not even a REMOTE possibility.

I think they all mean well and believed the truths of their times to be true. I'm sure there are things we believe to be the absolute best way to do things that may someday be frowned upon. I guess I survived with the way my mum did things so I can't really criticize her too much but I'd like her to do the same for me, as my DD seems to be thriving, too.

I hear ya!
Old 12-13-2007, 08:02 PM   #4
abbycadabby
Banned

My Mood:

My 13 month, 22 lb 12 oz fatty has just NOW started eating solids. So that is BS. Breastmilk has more calories than solid food, hands down. I'm not saying that waiting until 13 months is a good thing. I'm just saying, babies survive (and thrive!) on nothing more than breastmilk. I read on kellymom.com that babies are supposed to consume NO MORE THAN 25% of their daily calories from solid food at 12 months old.

Check this out, about delaying solids.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ay-solids.html
abbycadabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:08 PM   #5
ktrina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Your MIL would probably be appauled to know that my BF 16 month old still wakes at night . More recently it has only been once to nurse, but for a long time she got up to nurse 2-3 times in the night no matter how much solid food she ate during the day. My other girls started sleeping through the night around 3 months except for when they hit growth spurts. When they were growing, they would wake to nurse once at night then go right back to sleep. All babies are different. Try not to pay much attention to your MIL or your DH's grandmother. Like you said, you are doing what's best for your baby, and that's all that matters.
ktrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:09 PM   #6
remrath
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh what a good thread! The only medical evidence I've seen to support solids is that their iron stores begin to deplete around 6 months, and they need the jaw exercise so help develop for talking later. But you ARE introducing solids so that's not even an issue!!!!! My LOs just a couple of weeks younger, and the only reason she gets an entire solids meal is that she loves solids! If she was still unsure I'd be doing exactly the same thing as you! You're her mother, you know what to do. End of story. Hang in there!
Wife to Nick, 10 years now. Mom to Lydia (c/s) 6/6/07, Arwen (HBAC) 6/3/09, Silas (HBAC) 7/2/12 and Archer HBAC 10/15/14. Jesus loving, CDing, BFing, non vaxing , homeschooling SAHM who loves my new community is Spring Hill, TN
remrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:10 PM   #7
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ugh. I'm sure that is annoying. As pp said, breastmilk has more calories per oz. than ANY OTHER FOOD. Period. If baby is hungry, I'm sure she lets you know and you feed her. Depending on their respect for Drs., you could say that your Ped. is comfortable w/ how you are introducing solids, aside from the fact that AAP doesn't recommend introducing solids until 6 months due to the potential of creating allergic reactions. If they continue to push, you can just say something like "You made the best decisions you could for you family with the information you had, I am doing the same. I would appreciate you respecting the decisions dh & I make for our children." You're doing the best things you can mama.
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:11 PM   #8
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, and feel free to tell your MIL that when my dd was 9months old, she was waking every.90.minutes.all.night.long! Once a night is AWESOME!
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:12 PM   #9
shastakat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Don't you just love unsolicited "advice"! Truth be told we as Mothers know what's best for OUR children! Good for you for standing your ground! I'd have to remind them that *I* was the one who carried the babe for 9 months, not them! LOL I tend to be a little out spoken though!
Old 12-13-2007, 08:15 PM   #10
MamaToBe84
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

wow your MIL would hate me considering I still wake up 3-4 times a night, and so does dh-- and we were formula fed!