Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-13-2007, 08:15 PM   #11
Kestlyn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: If one more person tells me I'm starving my child...

Mama!
I used to listen to my my MIL and let her get to me...until I found out, get this...my DH had problems with formula when he was born (and bf was not an option for MIL) so she gave him GATORADE! Can you believe that? She started feeding him solids at 3 months because he was starving. I am SO glad that DH is ALIVE!
Don't let anybody get to you Mama. If LO is growing and healthy then you're doing great! My LO lost some weight from 6 months to 9 so I did start doing more solids (like fresh bananas, cheerios, rice, and squashed up other fruits and vegetables) and she's back on track weight wise at 10 months.

Advertisement

Old 12-13-2007, 08:28 PM   #12
mama2cody
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You ARE doing the right thing. It's hard not to let them bother you but I know from experience it does. DS is only 5 months old and I have people telling me it's time to give "that" up (breastfeeding!) because he was too old for it. I don't think people get it, especially if they never breastfed their babies.
mama2cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:33 PM   #13
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DD is 10 month old and I just started giving her a few bites of bananas, and that's not even every day. She almost EBF and doing just fine! I'm sure you are doing the right thing! I don't like unsolicited advice!
Old 12-13-2007, 08:40 PM   #14
junejay4life
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my daughters bday is 5 16 and i just started her about a week ago on solids, just one time a day. she is setting the pace. I hear about it too, i just ignore whatever they say. or (it know this might be hard) you can say, maybe i'll try that, and have no intentions of trying it! lol. My baby is 21lbs 1 oz and 29inch long, that was he weight before i even started any solids.
June wife to Jason. Mom to Kianna(8/4/02), Kody (4/23/04), Katalina (born at home 5/16/07) and Kaden (born at home 11/23/09) and baby #5 due 11/27/12

junejay4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:28 PM   #15
sapphos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

dd is about to turn one on dec 26 and has only recently this past month or so started solids. she was exc bf before that and is STILL bf and will until she is good and ready to stop. my mil suggested some things in teh beginning but sees that we are doing fine so doesn't say anything any longer.
dd was and is very healthy and I think teh bf has played a huge role in it so keep going! incidentally, she still doesn't sleep through the night most nights..she might wake once or four or five times like right now because she's getting number 7 and 8 teeth. gee what male ped long ago came up with teh notion that kids should sleep through thenight and that solids would make them do it we joke all the time that ohh she's getting food tonight she'll sleep ALLLL night
Old 12-13-2007, 09:36 PM   #16
homeschoolingmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mama... Honestly, I found it best just not to discuss anything with *those* (type of) people. I answered questions in a most general way- often changing the subject and never volunteering anything on the "hot topic" when they wanted to discuss it. I also took every opportunity to strongly express my views when the topic came up in relation to something other than me and my baby! I.E. I am a strong believer in modesty and I don't want dd dressed in clothes that make her look 25. I also don't want her in bikini's. I was dreading bringing this up to my mom (who LOVES to buy dc's swimsuits each year) b/c I knew she disagreed and it would be an argument. Sooooo.. I took every opportunity (which weren't many, but they did come!) before it became an issue to note my feelings on the matter. She got the idea without feeling like she had to defend her views KWIM?
In our family- it's my Mother who is the worst (though she has improved tremendously over the years) - my in laws would never talk to me this way or question my decisions. But, that too started with an issue when dh's step sisters husband corrected my 3 y/o while I was standing there telling him (the husband) that I would deal with my ds about the problem (ds was eating ice chips from the cooler, which annoyed this man and he had asked ds to stop. I was right there, and though I thought it was silly, I still planned to have ds stop out of respect for this man's feelings. I said I would deal with him, but before I could talk to him, ds got another peice of ice. This man grabbed it from him, threw it aside and slammed down the cooler lid. Oh my... I have never been so infuriated in front of my in-laws in my life. But I *never* had another issue again....
Okay, sorry for the long story... Hope it gets better for you Mama... often times being a Mama means doing the right thing when the world says you are wrong....
Old 12-14-2007, 04:30 AM   #17
3armybrats4me
Registered Users

That is just crazy talk. My DS will be a year in a couple of weeks and he still wakes 2+ times a night to nurse. Tell you IL's and keep doing what you are doing Mama. You are fallowing you LO's cue and that is great.
Creator of Robyn's Nest MT's ( Two diffrent links)
3armybrats4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 05:50 AM   #18
CamoMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A little encouragement from a wanna-be breastfeeder--NONE of my formula-fed children slept through the night (none longer than a four-hour stretch) till they were at LEAST eleven months old. My almost 14mo still has very little appetite for solid foods and I've got WIC, my mom, and my pedi down my throat.

Naysayers are full of it! You do what your baby needs, not what makes everyone else happy!
Old 12-14-2007, 06:12 AM   #19
Quiteria
Registered Users

If I don't have to get out of bed and wander the halls with an awake baby, I consider that sleeping through, no matter how much we nurse...and thus, I tell mom/mil that he's sleeping well.

My 2mo ate a TON of solids during my recent preg, and he still woke frequently.

Hope you reach a point where she will let you side-step the questions. :hug: My mom is really persistant about stuff like that (esp the water thing) because she's really worried that I am harming ds. Like the pp said, it was the best info of their generation...my mom was even a baby nursery nurse in the maternity ward before she had me, and she still has not the foggiest clue about breastfeeding no matter how much I reiterate the facts.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 06:58 AM   #20
lilinkmomma78
Registered Users

My Mood:

Momma,
I probably wouldn't answer the phone anymore!! UGH! My mom is worse than my in-laws and when she criticizes I either tell her what she wants to hear to shut her up, or I say that things have changed since I was a baby. What also helps is throwing in "The Doctor thinks.." usually shuts her up...since she thinks the doctor HAS to be right. Sheesh! Good luck and try not to let her get to you. She thinks she's helping..even if she's not!
lilinkmomma78 is offline   Reply With Quote